It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

itti: I'm still employed there so it probably is against my contract to bad mouth my employer in public. ;)

I do know that we don't hire at the moment so there shouldn't be any more "victims" in the future.
macuahuitlgog: Better safe than sorry. :)
In addition some of us make it a point to avoid companies that treat their employees poorly.
orcishgamer: In addition some of us make it a point to avoid companies that treat their employees poorly.
Because of that I'm actually on the fence on how to feel about a german company going chapter 11, which basically treated their employees like Walmart does. Maybe even worse.

I'm glad they are out of business and I hope their employees find better jobs, yet being out of a job is being out of a job.
orcishgamer: In addition some of us make it a point to avoid companies that treat their employees poorly.
SimonG: Because of that I'm actually on the fence on how to feel about a german company going chapter 11, which basically treated their employees like Walmart does. Maybe even worse.

I'm glad they are out of business and I hope their employees find better jobs, yet being out of a job is being out of a job.
I see why people feel like this, but essentially wishing for no punishment for horrible companies is a race to the bottom. It'd be much better to provide decent social safety nets to people rather than condemn them to a lifetime of abuse at work.
orcishgamer: I see why people feel like this, but essentially wishing for no punishment for horrible companies is a race to the bottom. It'd be much better to provide decent social safety nets to people rather than condemn them to a lifetime of abuse at work.
Generally I agree. It just sucks telling that to somebody who just lost it job. It's like getting somebody out of an abusive relationship, they don't really understand until some time after. The job market is rather strong at the moment, so it could have come at a worse time.

On of my proudest moments in my professional career (there weren't that many) was when I prematurely terminated a rather lucrative payed internship in one of thoses big ass law firms because after a meeting about the "financial restructuring" of a retail chain. I'm used to a lot of shit, but that crossed the line.
SimonG: On of my proudest moments in my professional career (there weren't that many) was when I prematurely terminated a rather lucrative payed internship in one of thoses big ass law firms because after a meeting about the "financial restructuring" of a retail chain. I'm used to a lot of shit, but that crossed the line.
I quit a really high paying job when they started selling extremely abusive credit products to people who couldn't really afford them. I already didn't really like many of the products that they sold, but hey, if some moron yuppy or rich person wants to open a credit card and charge 5k to put leather seats in their luxury car, then I guess that's up to them. Abusing people who already don't have enough already to squeeze some blood out of the stone before the next guy could get it was fucking evil.

I fully recognize that I have a luxury that many other people don't with regards to the source of my income.
Post edited February 03, 2012 by orcishgamer
Window messed up yesterday in my room and doesn't close properly, now half open at all times and it's -24 (-31 at night) Celsius.

Fucking hell...
My girlfriend left me about four and half months ago but i still think of her all the time. I have a very deep depression and have serious problems at sleeping (damn, haven't even really played since) She slept with other guys for possibly over 10 times and i didn't know about it, she lied about where she was or was going but we still loved each other and had the greatest time of our lives together. We travelled together and did some amazing things, things that'll stay in our hearts forever im sure of that. After she dumbed me, she went to a bar and started to hump all the guys and after a week she was dating someone. Still getting drunk every week because of her...i could kill someone just to see her once....
Well, this is my "bitch in life"
Sebek: My girlfriend left me about four and half months ago but i still think of her all the time. I have a very deep depression and have serious problems at sleeping (damn, haven't even really played since) She slept with other guys for possibly over 10 times and i didn't know about it, she lied about where she was or was going but we still loved each other and had the greatest time of our lives together. We travelled together and did some amazing things, things that'll stay in our hearts forever im sure of that. After she dumbed me, she went to a bar and started to hump all the guys and after a week she was dating someone. Still getting drunk every week because of her...i could kill someone just to see her once....
Well, this is my "bitch in life"
The only thing I can tell you, from similar experience, is that time will eventually give you the wherewithal and alacrity that seems so unreachable right now. Just remember that even if things look bleak in regards to your break-up and her attitude, you had a positive impact on her life and she on yours, and however brief your "good" time was, it deserves to be remembered fondly. There isn't just one person for one person, that's bullshit. There is a whole world out there full of pained souls and bruised egos who deserve a second chance. Take what you can and embrace whatever comes tomorrow, and remember that you will love again and you will hurt again, and it will all be beautiful because you are alive.
Fuuuuuuuuuu....................... my boss can be maddening.

Two, maybe three more months and I'll get the licenses I need to make me much more competitive as a job applicant at other businesses.
Trying to learn not to procrastinate and be more decisive is maddeningly fustrating!!...****
I twisted my ankle somehow while making my bed (I've no idea). At first it was just a really sharp, but short, pain, and went away. A few hours later, I stepped on some snow awkwardly and got some extremely sharp, but short, pain (made me let out a weird pain sound in public, kind of like the sound small dogs make when you step on 'em). An hour later my ankle and knee start hurting constantly. I showed my foot to a PE teacher I know, and she's like "you'd better start taking painkillers" and puts that bandage like stuff around my ankle to support it.

Now I have somewhat constant, annoying pain in my ankle and knee with occasional sharp pains when I move around. I'm probably going to use this as an excuse to be really lazy. That's just how I roll.
Damn. It's been awhile when I've been this close to crossing my bank account limit (ie. not have enough money for all the bills, and eat too). If it happens, it always seems to happen around Jan-Feb, having bought Christmas presents on credit card (why the heck did I use a cc for them anyway?), lots of annual bills arriving in the beginning of the year etc.

I do hope I counted right that my next salary will barely handle all the bills expiring right afterwards. It just means I'll have to buy everything else (food etc.) on credit card for the next one or two months, which is something I despise (spending money you don't have yet, barring purchases that normal person can't buy without a loan, like an apartment or a new car of course...). I usually even use cash if I travel abroad on vacation, not credit card.

Living is too dear nowadays, even if you have a steady (?) work and a pretty good pay. I don't even feel I have used that much money lately, at least not on myself (GOG Xmas promo purchases don't count, they are for the common good). I'll be very careful what groceries etc. I buy for weeks to come. Only entertainment will be gaming home and going to (cheap) sports activities, luckily I just paid my seasonal fees for the MA classes. But I promised my gf we go to see the newest Mission Impossible in the theater because it has some Finnish actor in a small siderole (probably dies during the first 3 minutes).

Fortunately I seem to have almost all GOG games I want anyway, so there I'm covered. From the weekend promo I was only missing the 3D Pinball game, pffft. I own the Pro Pinball series games on CDs already.
Post edited February 10, 2012 by timppu
Sooo, I got the results of my "bar exam retry". Not really encouraging. I missed the "top 15%" mark which means I will never become a judge or a notary. Not that I ever wanted to become one of these, but seeing a door close in front of you is always discouraging. No matter how unimportant that door was to you.
people need to stop abusing the rate this post button wooooooooo
SimonG: Sooo, I got the results of my "bar exam retry". Not really encouraging. I missed the "top 15%" mark which means I will never become a judge or a notary. Not that I ever wanted to become one of these, but seeing a door close in front of you is always discouraging. No matter how unimportant that door was to you.
A notary must be radically different there. Here a notary literally just notarizes documents (usually legal documents) to prove the person signing it was the person they claimed to be. Most offices of even medium size have at least one employee that's a notary and it requires way less training than a JD from law school.

Being refused a judicial position due to a test score seems rather odd, why do they do that? I'd think it'd be based far more on performance.

At any rate, sorry about the luck. I'm sure you'll still have a stellar career, though:)
Post edited February 11, 2012 by orcishgamer