It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TheCoop: Well this is a bummer. GOG is now charging sales tax on purchases for US buyers (or at least, US buyers in my state), after quite a few years of buying the games at the listing price-only. Hell, I just bought Mad Max and the The Evil Within bundle a few days ago without sales tax, so this is obviously a very, very recent addition.
Atreyu666: Isn't it normal to pay taxes for purchases? When I buy stuff from Amazon, etc, I also have to pay taxes...
Not that long ago, online purchases didn't charge sales tax on a lot of sites. Amazon always did, but the rule (from what I recall) was that if a website was based in the US (or at least had an office of some kind), sales tax had to be charged. There are a lot of places that aren't in the US, that sell US keys for games (Greenmangaming, GOG, Fanatical, Voidu, etc.). Even ebay and Steam (if I recall) didn't charge it at first. But as new laws got passed in various states, more online sites began charging sales tax. Ebay started charging sales tax a few years ago (on used items no less... that's like charging sales tax at a garage sale), along with Humble Bundle. Now there are some sites like Fanatical and GOG that have started charging sales tax as well, despite not having any kind of basing in the US (at least, I don't believe they do).

As I said, it's not much of a issue with cheap games, but when the games start costing $19.99 or more, that sales tax gets more noticeable... especially on games that are $49.99 and up.

Edit: Cleared up a spot or two.
Post edited November 04, 2023 by TheCoop
Complaining about taxes must be universal but is it not fair if most all products sold have added tax. Luxuary products should not be exempted, in my humble opinion, but we can discuss what should carry lower or no tax.
TheCoop: Not that long ago, online purchases didn't charge sales tax on a lot of sites. Amazon always did, but the rule (from what I recall) was that if is was based in the US (or at least had an office of some kind), sales tax had to be charged. There are a lot of places that aren't in the US, that sell US keys for games (Greenmangaming, GOG, Fanatical, Voidu, etc.). Even ebay didn't charge it at first. But as new laws got passed in various states, more online sites began charging sales tax. Ebay started charging sales tax a few years ago (on used items no less... that's like charging sales tax at a garage sale), along with Humble Bundle. Now there are some sites like Fanatical and GOG that have started charging sales tax as well, despite not having any kind of base in the US (at least, I don't believe they do).
Okay, I understand. Must be a bit chaotic over there, in the EU it's much easier, as far as I know.

TheCoop: As I said, it's not much of a issue with cheap games, but when the games start costing $19.99 or more, that sales tax gets more noticeable... especially on games that are $49.99 and up.
As far as I know, if you buy something on a website, the taxes are already included in the total amount. It's much like shopping in an offline store, you don't get taxes on top because they're already in the price of the product.
Atreyu666: Isn't it normal to pay taxes for purchases? When I buy stuff from Amazon, etc, I also have to pay taxes...
TheCoop: Not that long ago, online purchases didn't charge sales tax on a lot of sites. Amazon always did, but the rule (from what I recall) was that if is was based in the US (or at least had an office of some kind), sales tax had to be charged. There are a lot of places that aren't in the US, that sell US keys for games (Greenmangaming, GOG, Fanatical, Voidu, etc.). Even ebay didn't charge it at first. But as new laws got passed in various states, more online sites began charging sales tax. Ebay started charging sales tax a few years ago (on used items no less... that's like charging sales tax at a garage sale), along with Humble Bundle. Now there are some sites like Fanatical and GOG that have started charging sales tax as well, despite not having any kind of base in the US (at least, I don't believe they do).

As I said, it's not much of a issue with cheap games, but when the games start costing $19.99 or more, that sales tax gets more noticeable... especially on games that are $49.99 and up.
I seem to remember the rule being per state, in that sales tax is charged only if the business has a physical presence in the state in question. Hence, you might need to pay sales tax in one state but not another because it just happens to be where the business has a physical location. Also, not every state has sales tax; apparently 5 states do not.
Themken: Complaining about taxes must be universal but is it not fair if most all products sold have added tax. Luxuary products should not be exempted, in my humble opinion, but we can discuss what should carry lower or no tax.
This is specifically about sales tax in the U.S. If you want some idea of what's involved, read this. Here's a quote:
Consequently, ecommerce businesses must stay up-to-date with sales tax laws in more than 12,000 tax jurisdictions in the U.S.
Also relevant:
Not all states tax digital goods, such as apps, downloadable art and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products.
Atreyu666: As far as I know, if you buy something on a website, the taxes are already included in the total amount. It's much like shopping in an offline store, you don't get taxes on top because they're already in the price of the product.
Nope. Advertised prices in the U.S. do not include sales tax, it's too complicated. You only get the "real" price upon final checkout, both online and offline.
Post edited November 03, 2023 by eric5h5
TheCoop: Well this is a bummer. GOG is now charging sales tax on purchases for US buyers (or at least, US buyers in my state), after quite a few years of buying the games at the listing price-only. Hell, I just bought Mad Max and the The Evil Within bundle a few days ago without sales tax, so this is obviously a very, very recent addition.

I realize that it's not a big deal and a "first world problem" so to speak. I mean, sales tax on a game that's $0.59 or $4.99 isn't horrendous. But it still sucks to see the change hit here.
Yep, I can confirm the same thing has been imposed to my purchases for my province ("state") in Canada. I noticed this about a month ago. All these years, no taxes. And now suddenly, yes. First world problem or not, I'm not happy about this. :( Given the current context that prices for everything has gone up, every penny hurts.
Atreyu666: As far as I know, if you buy something on a website, the taxes are already included in the total amount. It's much like shopping in an offline store, you don't get taxes on top because they're already in the price of the product.
eric5h5: Nope. Advertised prices in the U.S. do not include sales tax, it's too complicated. You only get the "real" price upon final checkout, both online and offline.
This is also true in person. In most US states, you can't just walk into a store with a $1 bill and purchase something that has a displayed cost of 99 cents, as the sales tax will raise the actual price to over a dollar.
dtgreene: This is also true in person.
Indeed, that's why I said "both online and offline".
In most US states, you can't just walk into a store with a $1 bill and purchase something that has a displayed cost of 99 cents, as the sales tax will raise the actual price to over a dollar.
Well, it depends. Is it food? Then yes it is 99¢. Except...is it "bad food" like candy? Then no, it's taxed. Except...is it "baking goods" like chocolate chips, which has the same ingredients as candy but somehow isn't candy? Then yes, it's 99¢.
Themken: Complaining about taxes must be universal but is it not fair if most all products sold have added tax. Luxury products should not be exempted, in my humble opinion, but we can discuss what should carry lower or no tax.
Seeing as taxation is essentially (legalized and often begrudgingly accepted) theft, it is better to have less and not more.

(before someone says something like "they need money to fix roads and whatnot", remember that production of various goods along with many other things are already taxed above and beyond all reason. My take? The garfields in fancy suits can do more easily without the extra pocket change per purchase than consumers can)
Post edited November 04, 2023 by GamezRanker
Sitting in my armchair in front of the telly, eating dinner, when I caught sight of a mouse scurrying along the floor baseboard. With everything else going on in my life, that's the one thing I could have done without. :(
matterbandit: Sitting in my armchair in front of the telly, eating dinner, when I caught sight of a mouse scurrying along the floor baseboard. With everything else going on in my life, that's the one thing I could have done without. :(
Beginning of every winter, the mice move in but unless there is a warm period during winter, if you trap all the mice in your house, they should be gone until the next winter.

They are kind of cute too .... but of course we do not want them indoors.
matterbandit: Sitting in my armchair in front of the telly, eating dinner, when I caught sight of a mouse scurrying along the floor baseboard. With everything else going on in my life, that's the one thing I could have done without. :(
Themken: They are kind of cute too .... but of course we do not want them indoors.
Cute they are, but they do poop. As do we all, I guess. xD Thus far, no sign they've found my pantry..., yet. My apartment can get a bit chaotic and disorganized at times, but there's one thing I never, ever leave littering about and that is food. Maybe they'll notice and leave me alone.

A classic! Thx for the laugh! xD
Post edited November 17, 2023 by matterbandit
matterbandit: My apartment can get a bit chaotic and disorganized at times, but there's one thing I never, ever leave littering about and that is food. Maybe they'll notice and leave me alone.
They won't. If they're in, then they're happy they found a nice warm place to stay while they forage for food elsewhere, and they won't leave on their own. You'll have to get some traps I'm afraid.
matterbandit: A classic! Thx for the laugh! xD

That it is :)
That said, I actually meant this chap
(I guess I derped and posted the wrong clip earlier)
p.s. Bro, I think yer micez followed yer post to my home(pic attached) o.0 ;)
Attachments:
moushzk.jpg (176 Kb)
Post edited November 17, 2023 by GamezRanker