It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Tauto: You are right, P's and Q's laws in this place is absolutely ridiculous as you can't state anything nowadays without some wannabe mod stepping in with a warning/threat ban,well as far as I'm concerned they can stick it up their arse and ban me for life as I don't give a fuck anymore about this place as it's gone way out of mod wannabe's power control.
§pectre: Then you can add your thoughts here on this wishlist if it's a problem with some sections of the staff doing there own thing or if it's a wider problem.
Why would I bother? It will not be fixed, nor given any attention.
low rated

It will not be fixed, nor given any attention.
Sadly this is likely to be the case with this.

Still, a vote or two cannot hurt and is somewhat "healing" in a way....

==================================

Thread contribution of the day:

It is amazing how some people online act in a very rude manner to others, yet get treated by some others like they're total saints who leave behind leavings made of solid gold.

It is equally amazing that others online act nice as can be to most and get treated by some others as if they are scum.
Post edited July 26, 2020 by GameRacer
Well, it got a vote or two and that's the end of that.
The fact that we need terms like "anti-masker" and "covidiot" is just sad.
Somehow managed to get my pc infected with adware in 2020... ]:-(

Every now and again a small ad pops up at the bottom right of a page with a small footer : ' via x2convert.com'
I think I briefly tried using that site to download a youtube video, but I wasn't able to do so successfully so I'm not sure how the adware got downloaded.
low rated
Matewis: Somehow managed to get my pc infected with adware in 2020... ]:-(

Every now and again a small ad pops up at the bottom right of a page with a small footer : ' via x2convert.com'
I think I briefly tried using that site to download a youtube video, but I wasn't able to do so successfully so I'm not sure how the adware got downloaded.
That sucks to hear.

Once you get it fixed again i'd recommend using ad blockers or other extensions that allow one to block page elements(so you can hide and block those sorts of things).

I also recommend y2mate for YT videos, and also blocksite if one uses chrome(it blocks websites such as the popup ones from autoloading, once added to the block list).

Hope you get it sorted quickly and easily.
GameRacer: That sucks to hear.

Once you get it fixed again i'd recommend using ad blockers or other extensions that allow one to block page elements(so you can hide and block those sorts of things).

I also recommend y2mate for YT videos, and also blocksite if one uses chrome(it blocks websites such as the popup ones from autoloading, once added to the block list).

Hope you get it sorted quickly and easily.
Thank you, I'm going to purge it with fire, one way or another.
low rated
Matewis: Thank you, I'm going to purge it with fire, one way or another.
Also: I would recommend saving links to all installed extensions and such in your bookmarks & making backups of the bookmarks in a file(usually done through the browser's bookmarks manager or options)....and keeping those files & the installers for the latest version of your browser(s) somewhere safe from infection(maybe portable thumb drive or a folder on one's PC).

That way if this happens you can purge the current browser and it's files and restore from backups if need be, quickly and easily.

(Also I sent links to help to your PM box....make sure to read it for more info when you have time)

-------------
Post edited July 27, 2020 by GameRacer
Matewis: Thank you, I'm going to purge it with fire, one way or another.
GameRacer: Also: I would recommend saving links to all installed extensions and such in your bookmarks & making backups of the bookmarks in a file(usually done through the browser's bookmarks manager or options)....and keeping those files & the installers for the latest version of your browser(s) somewhere safe from infection(maybe portable thumb drive or a folder on one's PC).

That way if this happens you can purge the current browser and it's files and restore from backups if need be, quickly and easily.

(Also I sent links to help to your PM box....make sure to read it for more info when you have time)
Thank you I will have a look at it.

In any case I think I found it - now just to figure out exactly what I did wrong to get it there in the first place

edit: well this is embarrassing - it wasn't adware. It was push notifications from the site. I must've clicked to accept notifications 0.o The site simply used its notifications to display ads.
Attachments:
gotcha.png (11 Kb)
Post edited July 27, 2020 by Matewis
low rated
Matewis: well this is embarrassing - it wasn't adware. It was push notifications from the site. I must've clicked to accept notifications 0.o The site simply used its notifications to display ads.
You mean those little boxes in the corners of the screen that show up sometimes? I hide those in most cases, as they are often used for ads or misleading links.
Matewis: well this is embarrassing - it wasn't adware. It was push notifications from the site. I must've clicked to accept notifications 0.o The site simply used its notifications to display ads.
GameRacer: You mean those little boxes in the corners of the screen that show up sometimes? I hide those in most cases, as they are often used for ads or misleading links.
It's the first time I've encountered it. You can look up the browser's registered 'Service Workers' : about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox (in latest firefox - will have to look up command for other browsers)
I had tons there, and two of them were a 'Push service'. That I believe is what was creating the corner boxes. So I unregistered all of them, which I think has solved the problem. You certainly shouldn't have corner boxes in your browser, unless it's only on specific dodgy websites.
Post edited July 27, 2020 by Matewis
Matewis: It's the first time I've encountered it. You can look up the browser's registered 'Service Workers' : about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox (in latest firefox - will have to look up command for other browsers)
I had tons there, and two of them were a 'Push service'. That I believe is what was creating the corner boxes. So I unregistered all of them, which I think has solved the problem. You certainly shouldn't have corner boxes in your browser, unless it's only on specific dodgy websites.
You can disable Push completly if you want

- type in the adress bar
about:config
- click
"yes i will be careful"
- search for
dom.webnotifications.enabled
- doubleclick the line
change the value from true to false
- close the page
Dreaganos: You can disable Push completly if you want

- type in the adress bar
about:config
- click
"yes i will be careful"
- search for
dom.webnotifications.enabled
- doubleclick the line
change the value from true to false
- close the page
Thank you yes I believe I will do that. But I'm first going to wait a while to make 100% sure it's gone, just in case something else registered the service worker in firefox.
dtgreene: The fact that we need terms like "anti-masker" and "covidiot" is just sad.
This pandemic is a reboot of 1918.
There was also a widespread anti-mask movement.
Corporations were some of those who want reopening soon.

Maybe we should think about "history" differently. Maybe we should try to learn from history.
Post edited July 27, 2020 by le_chevalier
low rated
dtgreene: The fact that we need terms like "anti-masker" and "covidiot" is just sad.
This isn't twitter!
dtgreene: *Screech* *Screech* *Screech*
Are we there yet?
Post edited July 27, 2020 by fr33kSh0w2012