It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

morolf: Sounds bad. I've never used Ebay myself; my father uses it for buying used old books, for that it's apparently ok.
What game was it?
Port Royale Gold Edition (2003 release). It's only 20€ though, so not that bad. I wisely also only bought that because I was ogling a new Warlords Battlecry and Sacrifice from the same store. So if this purchase had worked out, I would have bought the other two games afterwards.
low rated
morolf: Just give it a rest.
Sonny, if a VW with the license plate HH 88 ran over your black neighbours in their own front yard, if the driver was covered in swastika tattoos and threw a few Hitler salutes before he drove off, you wouldn't be able to identify a nazi in that scene.
Vainamoinen: Sonny, if a VW with the license plate HH 88 ran over your black neighbours in their own front yard, if the driver was covered in swastika tattoos and threw a few Hitler salutes before he drove off, you wouldn't be able to identify a nazi in that scene.
You don't know what "fascism" is...whatever one thinks about them, Republicans in Wisconsin definitely aren't. That doesn't mean they can't be criticized for many reasons (iirc Scott Walker is an extreme enemy of trade unions, which seems rather repellent to me), but your constant throwing around of "fascism", "Nazis" etc. is tiresome.
Anyway, the point quite simply is: If you or other commenters constantly go on about Trump's alleged misdeeds, you can't really complain when some MAGA fanatic turns up and starts another political slugfest. Who needs that here?
tinyE: fair point, I got rid of mine.
Vainamoinen: That wasn't a "fair point". Fascism is rather the end of politics, so discussing the nazi shit the Republicans are pulling off in Wisconsin isn't actually a discussion of politics.
End of... politics? Tell me more about this "fascism" you just got me interested in. What is it and how can we accelerate this "end of politics"? The subject intrigues me and gives me a tingly feeling in my stomach.

When we have achieved the end of all politics, I will buy beer for everyone at this forum. The party will be glorious.
DadJoke007: What is it and how can we accelerate this "end of politics"?
He means that fascism is the end of politics, because fascists will just put all their opponents in concentration camps, kill them etc. and end all political discussion.
Of course you could say the same about communists as well.
imo throwing such labels around for political conflicts in the US is pretty daft. Wisconsin republicans many be assholes, but they aren't "fascists". The genuinely racist alt-right is pretty dissatisfied with the Republicans in general.
Post edited December 07, 2018 by morolf
DadJoke007: When we have achieved the end of all politics, I will buy beer for everyone at this forum.
I would rather you don't. Some people don't drink alcoholic beverages, whether by choice or for medical reasons.
DadJoke007: What is it and how can we accelerate this "end of politics"?
morolf: He means that fascism is the end of politics, because fascists will just put all their opponents in concentration camps, kill them etc. and end all political discussion.
Of course you could say the same about communists as well.
imo throwing such labels around for political conflicts in the US is pretty daft. Wisconsin republicans many be assholes, but they aren't "fascists". The genuinely racist alt-right is pretty dissatisfied with the Republicans in general.
Agreed, I just wanted to poke fun at the label throwing. Any side could make the same vague point, "X ideology is rather the end of politics".

Any state that grows too big and authoritarian is dangerous, regardless of political spectrum.

Edit: I better end it here before this gets too political.
Post edited December 07, 2018 by user deleted
low rated
DadJoke007: Any state that grows too big and authoritarian is dangerous, regardless of political spectrum.
Then again, it's always great to see how morolf throws a temper tantrum whenever that particular designation, which he is apparently utterly blind to in real life, is used to accurately describe modern day proceedings and movements. And then there's always something something communism. Now, communism doesn't work precisely because it generally relies on people to not be fascist self-serving assholes, and the fact remains that they are. Communism creates a power vacuum that naturally assholes will seize, at which point, ahem, it can't be called communism any more, or "People's Republic", or whatever, because it doesn't at all fit the definition – an idealized and therewith unattainable utopian vision. Which makes the dichotomy that morolf intends to establish rather infunctional. Fascism, on the other hand, great label, if it applies. I think it does, and morolf's protest strengthens that conviction because of aforementioned disability.

Yeah. Wisconsin. They're hastily restricting the powers of an office with sole intent to deprive the people of what they voted for. It doesn't get more anti-democratic than that (or at least let's all hope it won't). My friends are scared as fuck, and they had only just gotten a ray of light out of an election frought with gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement. If morolf wishes to ignore that, he can get out, but he doesn't get to restrict topics like a wannabe moderator, especially not by outright attacking members he doesn't like.

And politics? I mean, I get your frustration, but you'll still miss politics when they're gone.

dtgreene: I would rather you don't. Some people don't drink alcoholic beverages, whether by choice or for medical reasons.
I myself have done without for the past 20 years. I do appreciate the gesture though, and have no trouble ordering some other beverage. Nothing like a good hot chocolate with cream when the entire bar has beers because politics have ended. :)
Post edited December 07, 2018 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen:
That's really confused, you just don't understand what "fascism" (or "communism") actually refers to.
Go read some book about historical fascist movements, e.g. Stanley Payne, A history of fascism 1914-1945.
Wisconsin republicans may be antidemocratic assholes, but they aren't fascists.
Only one there I could think of who might be called a fascist was this Paul Nehlen guy, who's turmed to radical antisemitism and white nationalism, but he's a fringe figure of no importance.
low rated
morolf: Go read some book about historical fascist movements
No thanks. I'm reading books about present day fascism instead, like e.g. Madeleine Albright's latest. But, newsflash, the kettle doesn't just fit if the culprit wanks off to Stalin, Hitler or Mussolini, which you seem to perceive as a key requirement for the label. In case you haven't heard the news, these punks are dead but fascism isn't.
Post edited December 07, 2018 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: No thanks. I'm reading books about present day fascism instead, like e.g. Madeleine Albright's latest. But, newsflash, the kettle doesn't just fit if the culprit wanks off to Stalin, Hitler or Mussolini. In case you haven't heard the news, these punks are dead but fascism isn't.
I assume Albright's book is about Trump?
Trump may be criticized for many reasons (I have no sympathy for him myself, though probably for rather different reasons than you), but he has very little in common with historical fascists...to call him a fascist is meaningless and politically illiterate, merely a way to show one's disapproval.
Stalin btw wasn't a fascist, but a Marxist-Leninist, even if many left-wingers seek to deny that.
Anyway, I'll end that discussion here, because a) political discussions are banned on Gog as far as I know, b) there's no point in discussing anything with you, unless you educate yourself (e.g. by reading the Stanley Payne book I mentioned). But unfortunately you seem to be unwilling to do that...obviously you prefer staying ignorant.
low rated
morolf: I assume Albright's book is about Trump?
Eventually, but it's about many things. Autocratic rulers of the past being one, those of the present being another, with a very special focus on the somewhat vague definition of the term fascism. It's a book "about Trump" in much the same way it's a book about Hitler, Putin, Mussolini, Xi Jinping, the AfD, or Erdogan. It's a finger on the path we're heading, globally. It's basically what it says on the cover.

morolf: there's no point in discussing anything with you
There's no point for you in "discussing" anything with anyone anyway, because you've never learned how to do that without characterising other people's perspectives with derogatory terms. It's literally your number one entry rhetoric into just about any discussion here: This is stupid, this is deluded, this is confused, you know nothing about, blablabla and so on. It's like you settled on one boring, quasi-offensive rhetoric quirk when you were 12 and that remained your only jack in the box way into adulthood. You've also expressed a number of troubling far right opinions on this forum, for years. Maybe it would be time for you to listen instead of preaching out of books with empty pages to a choir that from the look of things, Linko was hired to kill off in its entirety. If that's not in the cards for you, maybe you could at least start out with not shitting on people who express very valid concern for the state of their democracy.
Attachments:
Post edited December 09, 2018 by Vainamoinen
My back is still giving me jolts of pain and spasms. Not super-frequently, mind you, but enough to remind me that it's there.

DadJoke007: When we have achieved the end of all politics, I will buy beer for everyone at this forum. The party will be glorious.
/brings frosted glass
Blasted student didn't attended more than one/two classes that I'm aware of, missed a big test and all small tests, failed the sick test, failed the exam, was somehow admitted to and failed the supplementary exam, and now keeps on contacting me trying to find a way to still pass the course. All the while I have my own stressful work to get done over the holidays. It's over man, you failed, accept it and try again next year!
Matewis: Blasted student didn't attended more than one/two classes that I'm aware of, missed a big test and all small tests, failed the sick test, failed the exam, was somehow admitted to and failed the supplementary exam, and now keeps on contacting me trying to find a way to still pass the course. All the while I have my own stressful work to get done over the holidays. It's over man, you failed, accept it and try again next year!
Stupid Students I wish they would just accept that they are not going to amount to anything.

While I was eating my rum infused custard, Rum custard was tasty!