It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

jamielt: Vythonaut - I would love to see what mods you use to get GPL to look like the pictures you kindly share. I am in the process of putting together a retro XP build to make up for the games unlikely to be seen on GOG (I hope I am wrong) sims such as produced by Papyrus (Nascar, GPL), Geoff Crammond (F1) and Rowan software (Mig Alley) etc. Without derailing this topic, perhaps a new thread on your tweaks and driving advice, I'm sure a few viewers would appreciate.
First things first, a disclaimer: all the screenshots i've uploaded so far were post-processed (no montages, only brightness/contrast/saturation and some blurring, all done in Snapseed[android version] because i'm too lazy to do it properly in GIMP). To give you an idea of how GPL looks when i race, take a look at the "before/after" screenshots below. Either way, GPL still looks SPECTACULAR to me! :)

Regarding a GOG release, as i already said in another post somewhere, if Papyrus already had problems acquiring the licences for Honda and Cooper back then, i doubt GOG or anyone else will be able to do it now for all the teams etc. Of course i hope they'll prove me wrong, but chances are slim to none.

Having said that, and considering the limited availability of GPL nowadays (and that's because i bought all remaining copies muahahaha!), i'm not sure if a GPL modding thread would be helpful to anyone in here, especially since there is an active community elsewhere. Of course that would change if we had a GOG release, but yeah, whatever, eBay is the only place where you can find a copy of it right now, and srmz.net is the best place to ask questions as well.

Of course that doesn't mean i won't help you on your noble quest to (re)visit the golden age of (sim)racing, but i see no reason to reinvent the wheel; below you'll find some links that will help you get going:

☆ For the easy GPL installation guide go here: http://www.gplworld.org/easy-installation-guide.html
☆ For add-on tracks go here: http://gpltd.bcsims.com/
☆ For the GPL community go here: http://srmz.net/index.php?showforum=84
☆ For everything about GPL, visit this link, but don't get lost: http://www.gpllinks.org/
☆ For driving advice, start by reading the Four Wheel Drift book that comes with GPL. For setup advice, check out this link: http://alison.hine.net/gpl/smith.htm
☆ Also, there have been great advances in GPL modding since it's release and among them is the 60fps patch that will enable you to run GPL in 60fps rather than the locked 36fps. Personally i still race the AI without the patch as it works better in 36fps, but for hotlapping and training i'm always racing at 60fps.

Lastly, regarding NASCAR Racing 2003 Season, you can check out the following link to get started with modding: https://www.reddit.com/r/NASCAR/comments/1za4kj/a_primer_for_getting_started_with_nascar_racing/

As for Geoff Crammond's series, i have no experience at all. I thought about buying GP4, but then i have no real interest in modern F1. I may buy a copy sometime though, just to try it out.

ps. HEY LOOK, A THREAD HIJACKER!! Sorry for that, Matewis. :P
Attachments:
Matewis: Ran into a weird error with my large map emperor game : 3 of the 6 civilizations are doing almost nothing to expand. Only the egyptians, babylonians and to a lesser extent the french are doing anything. Too far along now to start over :P
Caesar.: I haven't played Civilization I myself, but I once read that the AI is programmed to only build settlers if they have a certain amount of excess food in a city. Depending on how they settle their first city, they might not expand for the whole game.
Interesting. The thing is though that one of those civs that I came across did have more than one city. And even if they could by accident settle somewhere strange so that they don't generate enough food to build settlers chances are slim for it to happen to three AIs in a single game. Instead its almost as if they were operating at the easiest AI setting, or as if their behaviour parameters somehow got corrupted in savegame. But it's all speculation now in any case since I don't have those saves anymore :\
Vythonaut: ...
ps. HEY LOOK, A THREAD HIJACKER!! Sorry for that, Matewis. :P
Lol brief OT discussions are always welcome :)
lanipcga: I just finished another random map in HOMM3. On the whole, it wasn't too challenging. Maybe I'll put all the AI players on the same team next time.
If you want a challenge how about replaying the Shadow of Death campaigns? Or is that too mellow? :)
That damn 'Retrieving the Cowl' level took me the better part of a weekend to beat :P
Post edited January 22, 2018 by Matewis
Matewis: If you want a challenge how about replaying the Shadow of Death campaigns? Or is that too mellow? :)
That damn 'Retrieving the Cowl' level took me the better part of a weekend to beat :P
Ohhhh no...I'm not sure I'll go through all that again! Not anytime soon, at least. I made it up to Unholy Alliance when my computer died, and I still haven't recovered from the hell those levels put me through!
Okay men, spread out! My car keys are around here somewhere!
British GP was the next race on the calendar and it was held in the Silverstone circuit, in the fastest layout it ever had (before safety became a concern in the 70s onwards, which led to the insertion of chicanes and eventually a complete overhaul of the whole circuit in recent years). Next in line: The German GP *shakes in fear*
Attachments:
tinyE: Okay men, spread out! My car keys are around here somewhere!
Ah that makes me want to reinstall it again - weak ass story, but oh what a wonderful SP campaign.
Attachments:
dott.jpg (443 Kb)
went back to Fallout 4 so I could kill dumb backstabbing people with a single shot to the head
Attachments:
Restart...
Attachments:
German GP in a nutshell: "here's my opportunity, i'll pass him on the brakes, i'll pass him on the braaaa@&#". *insert crash sound effects* Really, nothing much to add. DNF.
Attachments:
Don't you miss the sky? ;)
ciemnogrodzianin: Don't you miss the sky? ;)
Can you elaborate, please?
Vythonaut: Can you elaborate, please?
Just a lot of nice screenshots from flight simulator made me think you're a fan of flying :)
A bit of friendly plunder
Attachments:
plundered.jpg (187 Kb)
Matewis: A bit of friendly plunder
Wait?!?! the Romans had M-16's and fatigues?!?