It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Begun the turtling wars have.
Attachments:
turtling.jpg (423 Kb)
Mr.Mumbles: Begun the turtling wars have.
Oh man, good times...
Ghorpm: Oh man, good times...
Indeed. It's weird that I've been hearing good things about this franchise over the past few years, but I actually hadn't tried any of the games before today. I gave the flash version a try and then the demo for the anniversary version. I got hooked alright. That fiver was totally worth it. ;)
Telika: Each time i see vytho's screenshots, john barry's "the persuaders" starts in my head.
Then i shouldn't stop posting, because you seem to have some great memories in there! ;)
Attachments:
Woohoo! This game works on my MacBook!
Attachments:
bling.png (120 Kb)
Post edited January 17, 2018 by lanipcga
Vythonaut: It looks like a great event, hope you'll be able to attend to the next one! :)
I hope so :)

Quickly checked out Civ 3 again. I rediscovered my love for this game and want to win an emperor game at least once.
From a quick glance it seems pretty insane. If you're lucky you can get perhaps 2 ancient wonders, but more likely you'll only manage one.
Attachments:
civ3.jpg (440 Kb)
Here's a small screenshot tribute to Dan Gurney, who passed away three days ago at the age of 86. He was a pioneering race driver, race car & motorcycle constructor and owner of the famous AAR (All American Racers) racing team. For more info, visit the links below:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Gurney
http://allamericanracers.com/
Attachments:
Pics from the amazing Brands Hatch 1965 GP race i had last night (battled with Jim Clark for the first place during the whole race, then just before the end of the race we both saw Graham Hill taking the lead while we were busy taking the last turn a little TOO wide), plus something extra that i'm currently having a lot of fun with (Atlantic Fleet).
Attachments:
Matewis: Quickly checked out Civ 3 again. I rediscovered my love for this game and want to win an emperor game at least once.
From a quick glance it seems pretty insane. If you're lucky you can get perhaps 2 ancient wonders, but more likely you'll only manage one.
Well, you could just make a custom map where every square consists of mountains (I have won on Sid difficulty this way), mut I'm not sure that really counts (the game actually didn't give me a score when I did this).

Of course, I have a feeling you might not be satisfied with that "win" and might actually want to play on a sensible map (that is, one where each civilization can actually find places to build cities), and I'm afraid I can't help you there (unless you are willing to use the scenario debug mode (I don't remember what it's actually called), but I have a feeling that wouldn't be satisfactory either).

(By the way, I also made an all-water map; trying to start the game would result in a crash with an error message to the effect of "can't find enough starting locations".)

Oh, and in case you're wondering, the Sid game I won ended before any ancient wonders could be built; since a city is needed to build anything (including wonders) and there was no place (on the entire map) that a city could be built, no wonders could ever be built that game.
Matewis: Quickly checked out Civ 3 again. I rediscovered my love for this game and want to win an emperor game at least once.
dtgreene: Well, you could just make a custom map where every square consists of mountains (I have won on Sid difficulty this way), mut I'm not sure that really counts (the game actually didn't give me a score when I did this).

Of course, I have a feeling you might not be satisfied with that "win" and might actually want to play on a sensible map (that is, one where each civilization can actually find places to build cities), and I'm afraid I can't help you there (unless you are willing to use the scenario debug mode (I don't remember what it's actually called), but I have a feeling that wouldn't be satisfactory either).

(By the way, I also made an all-water map; trying to start the game would result in a crash with an error message to the effect of "can't find enough starting locations".)

Oh, and in case you're wondering, the Sid game I won ended before any ancient wonders could be built; since a city is needed to build anything (including wonders) and there was no place (on the entire map) that a city could be built, no wonders could ever be built that game.
Yeah I want to finish an at least semi fair game. I've saved a pretty good starting location playing as the French. Two continents with 7 AI civs, but I'm on the side with only 2 other civs. Also, I can use several early warrior to restrict my northern neighbour india to its part of the continent, and as an added bonus neither India nor my other neighbour Russia has access to iron. So I don't have much to fear from them at least until early in the Middle Ages. There is also a sizeable island closeby but I can keep russia and india away from it with strategically placed galleys.
It seems pretty clear that I can't out research the AI, at least not from the start. What I'm going to do instead is to race and make sure I can build the Great Lighthouse and Great Library. Then I'll put my research to 0% and send a galley across the ocean to the other continent and contact the other 4 civs. That together with the Great Library will give me all the techs for free into the early middle ages at which point I want to be in a good enough position to re-enter the research race.

The only gamble with Civ 3 unfortunately is the resource placement - which might require use of the debug mode. It's not unusual to find yourself on a continent with no coal, or no oil, or any of the other important resources. The last civ 3 emperor game I played that was all that saved me - my main rival didn't have rubber I think.

But that's for another time I think. Since that post I have tried another attempt at that map, but fell way short. Instead I want to try a second emperor playthrough of the first game. The last time I did it my aim was to max out the palace but I only got as far as 33/37 upgrades :P Now I kinda want to try again
Dutch GP race report and pics. Started the race from the 6th position, second row (i drive the #19 Lotus) and managed to get to the 2nd place right after the first turn; a combination of a great launch and well defence/hold of the inside line (and big balls if that happened IRL). Things didn't go well after that, since not too many laps later, i suffered from overheating problems on my FL tire. It turned out i was racing with the setup i used for the qualifying sessions, which is quite different than my normal race setup. Still better than the other guy who misjudged the fuel quantity needed to finish the race (refuelling was not permitted back then). :) Finished 8th.
Attachments:
Trails in the Sky the 3rd.

Been on my backlog since its release but no more!
Attachments:
blorf.jpg (479 Kb)
Quickly started an emperor game over lunch. Started to go south pretty quick :P
Attachments:
Here are some pics from the fine Belgian GP at Spa. Overall a good performance on my part, lost the first place since mr. Graham's BRM had better top speed than my Lotus. I was able to hold in his tail for a while and make use of the slipstreaming effect making both of us faster than the rest of the grid. Eventually i decided to play safe and not risk a blown engine or something, thus i slowed down a bit. In the end i finished almost 30 seconds after him, followed by the usual crew (Bandini, Surtees, Gurney, Stewart and Clark until the point when his gearbox failed) just a breath away before the chequered flag.
Attachments: