It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Finally found a nice place to start work on a new fortress. It doesn't help that I was after something very particular. Several times I gave up on a location because the mountain ore was brown (chert or mudstone), the same brown as trees. For some reason the idea of having brown walls just bugs me, especially since it doesn't differentiate with normal wood walls.

Other parameters I looked for that prolonged the search was a temperate mountain zone with high cliffs, good deposits, easily accessible soils, a mountain stream (bonus points if it can be dammed) and access to at least 4 civilizations.

I think it took me about 2 hours of map creation and searches before I found such a location :P

Let the building commence!
Attachments:
finally.png (270 Kb)
Matewis:
Good luck! See you in July or there around!
Matewis:
Themken: Good luck! See you in July or there around!
Well our lockdown is expected by some to last in effect till August, so sounds about right :)
Themken: Nice graphics!
I haven't seen that particular failure mode before. How did that happen?

Anyway, here are some more TES screenshots, one from Oblivion (it should be obvious which one) and two from Arena. (Not currently playing either game right now.)
Attachments:
a_000.png (30 Kb)
a_001.png (8 Kb)
dtgreene:
Glad I am not the only one affected by occasionally broken graphics. X4 is a Vulkan game. I had to mess around a lot with my old graphics card to get that one to work with Vulkan and just might have broken something in Linux which is now affecting me with the new card, or maybe the new card is not quite alright or maybe something else, not sure.

Vulkan is a graphics API just like DirectX or OpenGL.
dtgreene:
Themken: Glad I am not the only one affected by occasionally broken graphics. X4 is a Vulkan game. I had to mess around a lot with my old graphics card to get that one to work with Vulkan and just might have broken something in Linux which is now affecting me with the new card, or maybe the new card is not quite alright or maybe something else, not sure.

Vulkan is a graphics API just like DirectX or OpenGL.
Here's what happened with the screenshots I posted in reply to yours, which happen to be bugs in the game rather than graphics hardware issues:
* The Oblivion one, IIRC, was taken from out-of-bounds; I must have clipped OOB somehow. (Going OOB in a Bethesda game is not an unusual occurrence; it happens all the time in Daggerfall, for example.)
* The Arena one is a much more serious glitch. If you steal a mage''s guild's entire magical item inventory, then try to buy or steal (forgot which) something else, the game crashes hard, and when it does so, it overwrites the palette. (This was back in the days before we had 16-bit or more color, so to allow the programmer to make better use of color, it's possible for the programmer to set a color palette; it's also possible, however, for a buggy program to corrupt that area of memory, which it what happened here.)

Anyway, I have attached a Wizardry 8 screenshot taken from out of bounds; it's a shot I happen to quite like.
Attachments:
wiz8_oob.jpg (308 Kb)
I usually do not take pictures when getting out of bounds so have nothing to show. So glad broken palette is a thing of the past.
Sildring: Continuing my trip down memory lane with another pretty damn good racing game.
Oh yes, Test Drive Unlimited was incredible, but for some reason I could never outrun the cops
Themken: Nice graphics!
Reminds me of what happened when you pressed F8 in the original Commander Keen. Used to confuse my small mind to no end.
Post edited April 06, 2020 by Matewis
Themken: Not sure about the exact reason but the game is not supposed to look like that, no. It usually rights itself within fifteen seconds. That is supposed to be the opening menu of X4:Foundations. Maybe a reinstallation of the OS would help.
Sometimes there are scripted ingame events which resemble such graphics errors. For example there was something like that in Batman Arkham Asylum when Batman was gassed by Scarecrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhtTF26KeE. First time I saw this I thought that my graphics card is malfunctioning. :P
Post edited April 06, 2020 by Sarafan
I remember some screensavers that did funny things to your picture, like the shuffler and that meltdown one. I once read about a guy building a computer for a non-technical person and installing one of those and that person thought their computer broke and went and bought a new one from a shop to replace it. I guess they did not want to botehr their friend so soon again. If those two persons read this and I got some details wrong, I apologise. No aquaintances of mine.

Cannot find any pictures or videos :-(
Post edited April 06, 2020 by Themken
A very, very unfairly-hated game, Fallout 76 is a fantastic experience throughout.
Post edited April 06, 2020 by JakobFel
Themken: Not sure about the exact reason but the game is not supposed to look like that, no. It usually rights itself within fifteen seconds. That is supposed to be the opening menu of X4:Foundations. Maybe a reinstallation of the OS would help.
Sarafan: Sometimes there are scripted ingame events which resemble such graphics errors. For example there was something like that in Batman Arkham Asylum when Batman was gassed by Scarecrow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhtTF26KeE. First time I saw this I thought that my graphics card is malfunctioning. :P
"Use the middle stick to dodge Joker's gunfire"

WHAT?

I remember when I first played through that segment. It REALLY caught me off guard.
Train to Erbanio, Pt 3: Maximum Choo Choo! ... Trails of Cold Steel 3
More... stuff...
Attachments:
putty_tat.jpg (394 Kb)
Temple of Elemental Evil

...Wandering in Hommlet...
Attachments:
immagine.jpg (409 Kb)
Closing to the end.
Attachments: