It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Mr.Mumbles: More like poke fun at Minnesotans, and Fargo is the only well-known thing I could think of that does that.
Well they have Mary Tyler Moore(show), but that sorta makes them look better rather than worse...well unless we count Ted. ;D
KingofGnG: Some other shots from Little Nightmare, which I played again after purchasing the physical "Six" edition on eBay. Unfortunately the game on the DVD was Steam-based. Shame. I would have very much preferred getting the GOG.com version instead. WHY don't you do partnerships like this one for DVD-based games?

Damn, fucking Steam everywhere...
That has been the case for a long time now. It is pretty rare to find a boxed game that doesn't require Steam these days. But it can happen (especially with older games). One thing I hate when shopping online for boxed games is that it has become so mainstream, that the Steam requirement is often omitted in the product information. Unless you can physically check the back of the box before buying (where the Steam requirement is listed usually in fine print or there is a tiny logo of Steam somewhere), you are taking a bet on whether or not the game will require Steam. But it is always a nice surprise when you can just install from the DVD without issues.

It happened just yesterday. I found out that the Tomb Raider Ultimate Edition I thought required Steam actually does not. Meaning I have all Tomb Raider games from 1 to Underworld including all expansions in DRM-free form.
Post edited February 05, 2020 by idbeholdME
idbeholdME: It happened just yesterday. I found out that the Tomb Raider Ultimate Edition I thought required Steam actually does not. Meaning I have all Tomb Raider games from 1 to Underworld including all expansions in DRM-free form.
Does it require the DVD in your drive while playing? If so, it's a form of DRM. :) I find it more irritating than a client requirement to be honest. Usually it takes more time to get the box, pull the DVD out of it, place it into the drive and wait until it starts. Nothing beats a true DRM-free version however. :)
Post edited February 05, 2020 by Sarafan
Sarafan: Does it require the DVD in your drive while playing? If so, it's a form of DRM. :) I find it more irritating than a client requirement to be honest. Usually it takes more time to get the box, pull the DVD out of it, place it into the drive and wait until it starts. Nothing beats a true DRM-free version however. :)
Not sure. I didn't try any game from it yet (I literally tested it yesterday evening just by putting the first of the 3 DVDs into the drive to see if it launched a Steam installer or not).

But I at least don't consider DVD in drive a DRM. Games have done this since they started appearing in disc form. And also, nothing a no-DVD patch (crack for those who don't own the game) wouldn't solve. Have that for every game that I keep permanently installed so I don't have to constantly juggle the discs and to increase their lifespan.
Post edited February 05, 2020 by idbeholdME
Azrael360: Racing in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010, Origin).
Ah, for a moment there I thought I was going to see the original Hot Pursuit screenshots. Hot damn I loved that game in local multiplayer. So much hectic fun at LAN parties.

Alas.. How is that newer version then?
low rated
Sarafan: Does it require the DVD in your drive while playing? If so, it's a form of DRM. :)
No it's not.....next you'll likely tell me internet and power for one's PC(or even needing a PC) is DRM. ;)

Sarafan: I find it more irritating than a client requirement to be honest. Usually it takes more time to get the box, pull the DVD out of it, place it into the drive and wait until it starts. Nothing beats a true DRM-free version however. :)
Not to sound too rude(as not my intent), but: First world problems.

I remember when one needed to get out a huge amount of floppies(or multiple CDs in later eras), put them in, install each one, type in serial codes, tweak one's system and apply updates as needed, etc......to me putting a disc in is small potaoes compared to that daunting laundry list of tasks.

=================================================

idbeholdME: But I at least don't consider DVD in drive a DRM. Games have done this since they started appearing in disc form. And also, nothing a no-DVD patch (crack for those who don't own the game) wouldn't solve. Have that for every game that I keep permanently installed so I don't have to constantly juggle the discs and to increase their lifespan.
Agreed and I also do all that as well to protect and preserve my discs....well since I grew out of the "lazy teen who tosses discs anywhere and doesn't mind if they get scratched" phase, anyways. :)
Post edited February 06, 2020 by GameRager
GameRager: No it's not.....next you'll likely tell me internet and power for one's PC(or even needing a PC) is DRM. ;)
The DVD requirement is directly associated with the game, so it's a form of DRM. In comparison if the game only requires DVD during the installation process, it's DRM-free. GOG games don't require anything more than installation files downloaded directly from servers. They're purely DRM-free.

GameRager: I remember when one needed to get out a huge amount of floppies(or multiple CDs in later eras), put them in, install each one, type in serial codes, tweak one's system and apply updates as needed, etc......to me putting a disc in is small potaoes compared to that daunting laundry list of tasks.
Serial code is also a form of DRM. :) Don't misunderstand me. It's not a huge effort to put the disc into the drive, but I find it quicker to just run the required launcher. Of course the disc versions have an advantage. You'll be able to run them even if you loose Internet connection.
low rated
Sarafan: The DVD requirement is directly associated with the game, so it's a form of DRM. In comparison if the game only requires DVD during the installation process, it's DRM-free. GOG games don't require anything more than installation files downloaded directly from servers. They're purely DRM-free.
Afaik, some(not all) older games were installed to PCs wth much more limited HDD space....as such they couldn't copy the entire game to the drive and had to run partially off the discs. In those cases I don't see it as DRM, though yes some did do disc based checks to verify ownership & that could be seen as DRM.....but to me such is tolerable, as i'd much rather have that sort of thing than what we have now. ;)

Sarafan: Serial code is also a form of DRM. :) Don't misunderstand me. It's not a huge effort to put the disc into the drive, but I find it quicker to just run the required launcher.
By launchers do you mean GOG installers? If so, i'd expect the time to be about the same if one factors in the time to DL all parts for some of them vs. popping in a disc or two(would need to do a side by side to compare and verify).
GameRager: By launchers do you mean GOG installers? If so, i'd expect the time to be about the same if one factors in the time to DL all parts for some of them vs. popping in a disc or two(would need to do a side by side to compare and verify).
By launchers I mean GOG Galaxy, Steam, Origin, Uplay etc. The required time differs depending on what's your download speed. :) I find it quicker to download a game than to install it from a DVD.
Post edited February 06, 2020 by Sarafan
low rated
Sarafan: By launchers I mean GOG Galaxy, Steam, Origin, Uplay etc. The required time differs depending on what's your download speed. :) I find it quicker to download a game than to install it from a DVD.
True, but as you said net can go down/be slow/etc....whereas with an older disc one can just install and play even without the net(well usually). As for time spent: I just do other things on the PC/in the house while I wait, so no time wasted(pluys I get to those chores instead of putting them off :D). :)
Post edited February 07, 2020 by GameRager
Modern wall painting. :P
Attachments:
low rated
Sarafan: Modern wall painting. :P
A bit abstract and such, but you know what....I like.
The Mean Green Killing Machine... aka Styx: Master of Shadows

This is a pretty fun stealth game. I very much appreciate that the levels have multiple paths for Styx to take: under, over, or the more dangerous direct approach. So much verticality. Killing puny humans on the way is quite enjoyable. I'm looking forward to getting more quick stealth-kill abilities in the future. ;)

At one point I was able to cheese it a bit, stab someone, hide in a space they couldn't get to and continue killing 3 more dudes that way. Well, sometime later I tried to see whether I could repeat that, but instead I was pleasantly surprised by being dragged out of my hiding spot after a human spotted me there. I guess that's no more cheap tactics for me. =P

I can't ever see myself not killing anybody or alerting someone in an entire mission though, especially with me trying to collect all the coins. That seems like a hardcore challenge. Guess it'll take me a bit longer to upgrade Styx's skill that way though. Oh well.
Attachments:
home_base.jpg (292 Kb)
nice_view.jpg (269 Kb)
Found some filthy cannibals in Wasteland 2's Los Angeles. Regrettably the dude over the fire was already dead, or at least dead by the conclusion of the firefight
Attachments:
cannibals.jpg (469 Kb)
Mr.Mumbles: The Mean Green Killing Machine... aka Styx: Master of Shadows

This is a pretty fun stealth game. I very much appreciate that the levels have multiple paths for Styx to take: under, over, or the more dangerous direct approach. So much verticality. Killing puny humans on the way is quite enjoyable. I'm looking forward to getting more quick stealth-kill abilities in the future. ;)

At one point I was able to cheese it a bit, stab someone, hide in a space they couldn't get to and continue killing 3 more dudes that way. Well, sometime later I tried to see whether I could repeat that, but instead I was pleasantly surprised by being dragged out of my hiding spot after a human spotted me there. I guess that's no more cheap tactics for me. =P

I can't ever see myself not killing anybody or alerting someone in an entire mission though, especially with me trying to collect all the coins. That seems like a hardcore challenge. Guess it'll take me a bit longer to upgrade Styx's skill that way though. Oh well.
Looks really good. How open ended is the level design? You mention multiple paths, but is it in an overall linear direction? Or is more like the Thief/Hitman games where a mission is one big map you have to complete, as opposed to getting from point A to B while killing targets in between?