It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Matewis: Been spending some time in CDDA's apocalypse

- Survived my first night (small forest cabin)
- Somehow made it to a week, mostly because my starting infection luckily healed by itself, though I did at find antibiotics in any case.
- While cooking some cougar meat on the 2nd floor of my base (the club house of a small golf course) I saw this monstrosity approaching across the course.
- Grabbed my M4 and ran to my car, getting it to follow me away from my base as I took repeated potshots at it, thus resulting in a trial of bile. It finally went down thank god - I smashed the corpse and set it on fire just in case.
- Approaching a mansion for an extended loot run, which turned out to be extremely profitable: there was a hidden door leading up to a private study stocked with several guns. I also found a full suit of plate armor along with a medieval mace, which was one hell of a struggle to get back to my car. I'm going to see if I can modify it later on to make it fit better. I just need to set up a metal working workshop first.
Looks interesting and it's a free game as i noticed. Maybe gonna try it some day.
Didn't know about the game before.
Fonzer: Looks interesting and it's a free game as i noticed. Maybe gonna try it some day.
Didn't know about the game before.
Sure, it's quite the rabbit hole :) The community and development of this game has been very active for several years by now. The latest stable release 0.F is only days away so there's a lot of excitement at the moment. But don't let that fool you: the game has been essentially complete for years. People just keep on tweaking and expanding the gameplay. Stuff that used to be included as mods back when I last played two years ago has since been included in the official version, along with several tweaked/additional mechanics.

Sseth's video gives a pretty good overview of the game, and it would seem is responsible for most of the game's recruits in last couple of years.
Matewis: Sure, it's quite the rabbit hole :) The community and development of this game has been very active for several years by now. The latest stable release 0.F is only days away so there's a lot of excitement at the moment. But don't let that fool you: the game has been essentially complete for years.
I tried CDDA a couple of years ago and it is a fun game. One gripe I had with it though was that there didn't seem to be any way to make a simple raincatcher to catch rain water, to use for drinking/cooking. Didn't seem to be any way to gather water from streams in the forest either. I had the impression it was to try to force the player to have to go into the more dangerous town areas to find water. However, to me it seemed a bit unrealistic, since one of the absolute most basic survival techniques is catching rainwater.

I don't know, perhaps I just missed the mechanic for some reason or they may have changed it since, but it kind of put me off.
Post edited February 23, 2021 by Time4Tea
Time4Tea: I tried CDDA a couple of years ago and it is a fun game. One gripe I had with it though was that there didn't seem to be any way to make a simple raincatcher to catch rain water, to use for drinking/cooking. Didn't seem to be any way to gather water from streams in the forest either. I had the impression it was to try to force the player to have to go into the more dangerous town areas to find water. However, to me it seemed a bit unrealistic, since one of the absolute most basic survival techniques is catching rainwater.

I don't know, perhaps I just missed the mechanic for some reason or they may have changed it since, but it kind of put me off.
I can't say for sure when it was added, since I only started in 2018, but I think it was already part of the early mechanics : you fill a container like a pot or pan with water, and then craft 'clean water' while next to a fire, hot-plate, etc.
To get the water you fill the container either from a kitchen, toilet, RV tank, pond, river, underground well or by using a funnel to catch rain water directly into the container.

The crafting system is however extremely extensive and not all that intuitive, with some things only unlocking once you've reached a certain skill level and/or have access to a book containing the instructions/blueprints. So it is unfortunately very easy to miss something. In fact I've seen the question of how to actually boil water raised several times before.

OT, the region where I'm active for the most part. I'm still trying to break into a gun store in the town towards the east, but for now I'm going to spend some time fortifying my base first. Every now and again a random group of zombies wanders through the golf course. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any giant ants, triffids or fungal towers nearby.
Attachments:
region.png (118 Kb)
Post edited February 23, 2021 by Matewis
not sure if this is my own doing but... the appearance of a pro alien government party in my feudal xenophobic empire can be called bold to say the least ....

Have i been to kind?

Did i needed to declare all the aliens as rival, i did just send a envoy to another warlike empire with good wishes?

Am i a traitor?

@weekdaysmisery
Attachments:
Post edited February 23, 2021 by Zimerius
Matewis:
Ok, it sounds like it can be done then, which is good to know. Perhaps I didn't have a funnel and was assuming rain water could be caught with a sheet of some kind (which imo, would be a good addition). It would be nice if there was an obvious 'raincatcher' device that you could craft with a tree branch and a sheet, which would be accessible at a fairly low survival skill level.

I agree that the crafting interface is not hugely intuitive and there is a bit of a learning curve. It's a good game though and it has a very impressive amount of detail and depth. I should try it again at some point - I'd be interested to see what has changed since I last tried it.
Time4Tea: ...
Lol quickly checked and apparently that is possible now as well with a tarp rain catcher. Or apparently you could simply drag a container underneath a house's rain gutter and wait for it to rain.
As for me, I just take several 1 gallon jars to whatever source every now and again and then boil everything at once at in a brazier/fireplace.

But sure, check it out :) I definitely noticed several big changes since I last played, such as actually being able to crouch behind object and hide from creatures, making actual stealth gameplay somewhat feasible. And being able to climb up the one side of a building, and down the other side, if you don't find a 2nd story entrance on the roof.
Time4Tea: ...
Matewis: Lol quickly checked and apparently that is possible now as well with a tarp rain catcher. Or apparently you could simply drag a container underneath a house's rain gutter and wait for it to rain.
As for me, I just take several 1 gallon jars to whatever source every now and again and then boil everything at once at in a brazier/fireplace.

But sure, check it out :) I definitely noticed several big changes since I last played, such as actually being able to crouch behind object and hide from creatures, making actual stealth gameplay somewhat feasible. And being able to climb up the one side of a building, and down the other side, if you don't find a 2nd story entrance on the roof.
Ok, maybe they added that in since I last played it then. That's good, as I thought the difficulty of finding water seemed to add to the learning curve. Some of those other changes you mention sound really cool as well.
My base as it is now

- Top floor contains the kitchen in bottom left, brazier for cooking in the top left, bed with bedside M4 in the top right (I had to drag the mattress all the way from a nearby forest cabin.), and reading desk in the middle
- These are roughly half of the books I collected so far, containing various recipes/blueprints and benefits to skill progression. The other half consists of books I've already read, cook books I keep in the kitchen for easy access, and mechanical books I keep downstairs in the workshop
- Bottom floor contains some display racks filled with various stuff (weapons, ammo, wearables and crafting materials). Top right is the bathroom where I chucked all salvaged medical stuff, like bandages, disinfectant and various kinds of pills. Underneath that is the workshop which is still a bit messy at this stage. In the bottom right of the screen is the beginnings of a log wall that I'm installing, to create a very strong private perimeter. Luckily I recently found a chainsaw that will significantly speed up the process of turning the golf course's trees into logs.
In the bottom left is my car, an extremely lucky mind condition find in an abandoned house's garage. I owned a police car before that, but I accidentally drove it into a spiked pit :P
- The majority of weapons I've collected so far. Unfortunately I don't have that much ammo. At least I can craft average quality bolts for my crossbow. What I really need though are explosives, and a flamethrower.

Long term I want to completely enclose the club house, and build a proper workshop outside powered by big batteries and a field of scavenged solar panels. A significant area needs to be set aside for some crops as well, and also a garage where I will ultimately turn an army truck / apc into a mobile death fortress for long distance exploration.
Attachments:
books.png (109 Kb)
weapons.png (163 Kb)
Post edited February 23, 2021 by Matewis
viperfdl: quote
Zimerius: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
My ship is faster... and prettier.
;p
Attachments:
Zimerius: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
viperfdl: My ship is faster... and prettier.
;p
wait wait wait let me check my latest design!!

ah your already beyond my progress, i still need a shield
Attachments:
Post edited February 24, 2021 by Zimerius
Couldn't open the locked metal doors of the gunstore, so instead I scoured the town (or at least the parts with a manageable number of zombies) for a working car and reversed into the brick wall at full speed. I wrecked the car, but that's a small price to pay to gain entry to a gun store in this game.
Found a good amount of shotgun ammo, as well as some useful weapon modifications. The rest is a variety of other weapons and ammo that don't really match. There are three gunsafes remaining though, but I don't want to risk jamming their locks by lockpicking them before I'm an expert at it. So they will have to wait.

edit:

- The turrets at a nearby helipad (apparently it's possible to fly helicopters in the game) didn't have spot lights for some reason, so it was easy to disable them with my M4 and nightvision at range. Except for 3 zombie soldiers the base was deserted so I could raid it at my leisure.
The biggest priority was the ammo belts for the turrets, with over a 1000 rounds of ammunition, however this was too heavy for me to carry all the way through the forest back home.
- Luckily I found motorcycle with a side cart in workable condition, only with a dead battery and very little gasoline. With some plastic bottles and glass jars I found in the cafeteria I could fill up the bike's fuel tank, and by using a flare for light I removed a nearby truck's battery and (somehow) installed it in the bike. Then I only had to smash in the perimeter fence (confusing a nearby moose) to make my merry escape.
Attachments:
gun_store.png (162 Kb)
raid.png (101 Kb)
escape.png (151 Kb)
Post edited February 24, 2021 by Matewis
viperfdl: My ship is faster... and prettier.
;p
Zimerius: wait wait wait let me check my latest design!!

New speed record. \o/
Attachments:
Currently playing two games:

Dungeons - inspecting the prison to check if the soul extraction is proceeding as it should.

Borderlands 2 - hitting the night club in Sanctuary.
Attachments:
bar_(1).jpg (378 Kb)
Zimerius: wait wait wait let me check my latest design!!

viperfdl: New speed record. \o/
this makes me feel like the same way when that pumped up mercedes a amg passed me on the freeway