It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe

Please, help this amazing thing happen.
Seeing the title of the game, what happened with Strife? I thought GOG was supposed to "eventually" get that one. Guess GOG is emulating Valve time now. Heh.

Second post derail. Yay! Sorry. =P
jefequeso: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strafegame/strafe

Please, help this amazing thing happen.
Sorry, I don't do kickstarters. Or any other pay-for-unfinished-product kind of thing. But even if that was not the case, I'm not sure if I would support that partiuclar game. I am an old-school gamer in many (most) ways, but I'm getting a little tired of all the games relying heavely on nostalgia. It's all pixels, pixels, pixels, aw look, it looks just like NES or it looks just like >insert old game name here<... just play the old games if that's what you want. I'm looking foreward to games that take what worked about the old games, but do something new with it. Story, graphics, mechanics... something. Those throwbacks were fun a few years ago, but the indie scene has overflooded the market with them.

To be clear- I'm not saying STRAFE won't be good, and I might check it out at some point, but I'm just getting tired of the "cashing in on nostalgia" trend, and if I am going to pay for a game like this, it's after release when it actually proves to be good, not now when it just shouts "the 90's!" at me.
Post edited February 03, 2015 by Breja
I thought this was funded already? I really loved the trailer, it's my favorite among the emulate-past-era-trailers bunch.
Screw Night Dive.
1996 frames per second? And you call that a throwback?
/jk
Post edited February 03, 2015 by justanoldgamer
Breja: Sorry, I don't do kickstarters. Or any other pay-for-unfinished-product kind of thing. But even if that was not the case, I'm not sure if I would support that partiuclar game. I am an old-school gamer in many (most) ways, but I'm getting a little tired of all the games relying heavely on nostalgia. It's all pixels, pixels, pixels, aw look, it looks just like NES or it looks just like >insert old game name here<... just play the old games if that's what you want. I'm looking foreward to games that take what worked about the old games, but do something new with it. Story, graphics, mechanics... something. Those throwbacks were fun a few years ago, but the indie scene has overflooded the market with them.
Pretty much this. I like old games, but in many cases I like them despite their old graphics, not because of. There can be very nice and charming pixel art, but four colours per sprite was ugly in the 80s and it's even more ugly today. Plus most of these modern retro games look nothing like actual old games; I cannot think of a single shooter that looked like Strafe. (yes, I know unfinished product, reserve judgment until release)
"Procedural generated levels" are the kiss of death for FPS.

The key to any quality single-player FPS experience is good, intelligent level design. Think back to Doom, Doom II, Duke 3D, etc... what made those games great? The way the maps unfolded... the jump scares and secret areas... the monster triggers and hard-to-find ledges... all the little bits and bobs that are planned out and playtested to ensure maximum fun.

When you let an algorithm design your levels, you end up with boxy, samey, boring levels.

I can't ever see myself playing a FPS without designer-created maps.
yogsloth: "Procedural generated levels" are the kiss of death for FPS.
I have to disagree. uses procedural generation and it's a really intense FPS game! The Lovecraftian look really sets the mood of the entire game. [url=http://www.gog.com/game/tower_of_guns]Tower of Guns and Heavy Bullets are other procedural FPS games that are worth a look as well.
mistermumbles: Seeing the title of the game, what happened with Strife? I thought GOG was supposed to "eventually" get that one. Guess GOG is emulating Valve time now. Heh.

Second post derail. Yay! Sorry. =P
No concrete time frame was given, and as I understand it the "veteran edition" of the game have (had?) some bugs, so this may be the cause for any delays.
Ingsoc85: No concrete time frame was given, and as I understand it the "veteran edition" of the game have (had?) some bugs, so this may be the cause for any delays.
Was GOG trying to get the original Strife or a possible remake?
I like the humour and general gameplay pacing. But the enemies don't really do it for me and there's no suggestion that's going to change or even that the range of enemies is going to be expanded on. The idea of being stuck with primarily one gun instead of the usual ten or so you get with classic FPS... I think that would get monotonous. I know there's a bit more to it than that. But it's hard to tell right now if there'll be enough to it to make it all that it can be.
IronArcturus: Was GOG trying to get the original Strife or a possible remake?
This one.
IronArcturus: Was GOG trying to get the original Strife or a possible remake?
Grargar: This one.
Interesting. The engine looks similar to ZDoom. So what were the bugs that were causing delays?
That Kid's head exploded...

http://commentphotos.com/gallery/CommentPhotos.com_1392062612.jpg