It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

As we promised, we keep improving ways to browse our game catalog, so that it can provide a smooth, and comfortable experience for exploration and finding new great games for you.

This time, we introduce 170 tags to help with more accurate browsing and filtering. You’re a fan of dungeon-crawlers? Maybe you’re looking for something family friendly? Or you’re in love with the pixel graphics, and you’d like to see something that boasts it?
All that and more, you can now browse after one click in the filter options in the catalog menu, or by clicking on the tag on the product page of a game.

Together with the ability to filter tags you’re interested in, we’re also introducing an option to exclude the tags you’d like to avoid seeing. You can do that, by clicking on the eye icon that appears when you hover over the specific tag in the filter menu.

We hope that this functionality will further improve the discoverability of the games, and help you find exactly what you want, in the shortest time possible.
Let us know how you like the new tag system in the comments, and send our way ideas for what new ones we could introduce in the future.
We’re always on the lookout for great ideas that can make your experience with GOG more enjoyable, and we’ll keep tinkering and working towards that goal, so stay tuned!
high rated
GOG.com: As we promised, we keep improving ways to browse our game catalog, so that it can provide a smooth, and comfortable experience for exploration and finding new great games for you.
As much as I appreciate the addition of a tag system I much more would appreciate when you first would work on improving the quality of your data. Just adding more unreliable data does not help much as it leads to bad results and missing out games when searching.

I also would have preferred to first get an option to blacklist games or mark them as "not interested" or "ignored" so that we at least could mark already owned games on our own where the GOG system fails to do so and hide games we are not interested in.

Thumbs up for implementing an option to exclude games with certain tags from the result list! But I'm sceptical about the usefulness of tags which are highly subjective, like "great soundtrack" or "atmospheric".
InkPanther: Oh, I've got one big suggestion - when we select multiple tags, the search results should show only games with all those tags. At the moment it shows games with at least one of the tags I chose.
SmollestLight: Thank you for the suggestion, I will forward it :)
That better should be an "and" for included tags and an "or" for excluded tags. Also a tooltip with a short explanation of each tag would be nice.
Post edited April 20, 2022 by eiii
Magnitus: One of the tags: Local Multiplayer
This tag is too unclear for me and I don't know what it's used for at the moment. There are two completely different kinds of local multiplayer: LAN and hotseat. That's why there also should be two different tags for it, maybe "LAN Multiplayer" and "Hotseat Multiplayer".
Magnitus: Edit: I'd love to see hotseat too. Basically, something like "offline multiplayer" if you want to include both categories.
"offline multiplayer" would be misleading too as some people might consider LAN multiplayer also as offline.

PixelBoy: And I'm not sure if games like Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 are what people looking for pixel arts want to see. Maybe very technically it qualifies for that, but usually pixel arts is used for games where there is some protagonist in 2D environments or something. Certainly very different from Rollercoaster Tycoon's fake 3D isometric view.
When you use the tag for Rollercoaster Tycoon than you probably also would have to tag most of the games released up to the late 90th with it, which is not useful at all. Maybe better rename the tag to "Pixel Art" or something like that and tag only the games where the developers intentionally have used lower resolution graphics in the game although the graphics card actually runs in a higher resolution mode. Hopefully this description is understandable. :)
joveian: The exclusion is quite hard to notice if you don't know it is there.
Indeed. This actually was the first feature I wanted to request until I read your post. The UI is not very intuitive, having the checkbox to activate a tag at the beginning and the "checkbox" to exclude games with a tag at the end. That better should be one column with 3 states, ignore the tag, include only games which have the tag and exclude all games with the tag.

Oh, I just noticed you can do the same with genres and features. Nice! Is that also new or have I only overlooked it so far?

joveian: I actually forgot about it at first and thought at first it was just to pin tags (it does explain at the top of the list when selected and explains on hover).
Being able to pin certain tags (and also the genres and feature selection) would be very nice. But I do not have much hope for it as GOG even "forgets" my selection for the sort order and I do have to set it again on every search. :/
Finally!
Great improvement! The new tags will greatly reduce the negative impact of not having curation lists like GOGmixes.

Can we also get an ignore game function soon?

Also, a ''GOG Exclusive'' tag is sorely needed because there isn't a way to easily find the many games you can get only here.

EDIT for possible bug: TW3 is tagged only ''Fantasy'' which causes it to not appear when you search under the ''Open World'' tag. TW1 and TW2 do appear under the same search terms though.
Post edited April 20, 2022 by Shadowstalker16
low rated
GOG.com: We’re always on the lookout for great ideas that can make your experience with GOG more enjoyable, and we’ll keep tinkering and working towards that goal, so stay tuned!
I have a great idea: explain how you allowed the Hitman fiasco to happen and what actions you took to never let it happen again
Riekopo: Can you add a tag for games that have been updated by GOG? That have had work done on them to run better on modern PC's I mean.
Not a bad idea, but it would work much better reversed.
"Original intact files" tag or something like that.

That would be very helpful for those, who are trying to get these games running on original hardware, or even in some cases with DosBox, as some games using ScummVM don't have the original exe files.
YES! Finally, this is exactly what I've been asking for! It benefits everyone and harms no one. Thanks for this update, guys!
I would suggest adding a specific section for tags in the community wishlist so we can propose new tags and report errors.

Also, once the work on the store navigation is done, I'd like to see this applied to the user library. It would nice to have the option to filter our owned products by mixing different logical operators (and, or, not) using both the store tags and our custom tags.

-

Maybe you could also consider the idea of synonyms and similar concepts. Basically I see a bit of a problem when the user wants to search for something but the word he came up to describe that something doesn't match the word you used.

For example, I type "retro" and nothing comes up, there are no retro games on GOG. You have other tags that might represent what I have in my mind when I think "retro", maybe "good old game" or "pixel graphics" would work for me. These are tags that exist but I don't know they do, I have to figure them out first.

It reminds me of the parser for an old conversational adventure, you'd type similar verbs trying to figure out what the game was set up to recognize.
Post edited April 20, 2022 by park_84
This will be helpful to me, a fan of graphic adventure games. GOG's use of the genre "adventure" is so broad as to be basically useless but these tags should hopefully help me find what I'm looking for.
Good thing! Next you could introduce the oft requested not interested filter. There are so many titles in the catalog which I was never interested in, which is why it would help to be able to hide any of those. The option already exists in our library so there should be no reason not to offer this for the shop as well.
high rated
Shadowstalker16: Great improvement! The new tags will greatly reduce the negative impact of not having curation lists like GOGmixes.

Can we also get an ignore game function soon?

Also, a ''GOG Exclusive'' tag is sorely needed because there isn't a way to easily find the many games you can get only here.

EDIT for possible bug: TW3 is tagged only ''Fantasy'' which causes it to not appear when you search under the ''Open World'' tag. TW1 and TW2 do appear under the same search terms though.
We have a tag for GOG exclusives! It's "Only On GOG" :)
high rated
SmollestLight: We have a tag for GOG exclusives! It's "Only On GOG" :)
You guys should really make a complete list of possible tags available for easy access.
eiii: That better should be an "and" for included tags and an "or" for excluded tags.
Good point, the AND should just apply for include, not for hide. Though, of course, the best way would be to let the user select, but barring that.
BreOl72: You guys should really make a complete list of possible tags available for easy access.
While GOG is "working on it", I've generated a list of tags using the latest API data... the number of tags used has actually... decreased :|. I guess there's already some cleanup being done.

Anyway, you'll find them here, along with my other "surveillance" data feeds.