It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

As we promised, we keep improving ways to browse our game catalog, so that it can provide a smooth, and comfortable experience for exploration and finding new great games for you.

This time, we introduce 170 tags to help with more accurate browsing and filtering. You’re a fan of dungeon-crawlers? Maybe you’re looking for something family friendly? Or you’re in love with the pixel graphics, and you’d like to see something that boasts it?
All that and more, you can now browse after one click in the filter options in the catalog menu, or by clicking on the tag on the product page of a game.

Together with the ability to filter tags you’re interested in, we’re also introducing an option to exclude the tags you’d like to avoid seeing. You can do that, by clicking on the eye icon that appears when you hover over the specific tag in the filter menu.

We hope that this functionality will further improve the discoverability of the games, and help you find exactly what you want, in the shortest time possible.
Let us know how you like the new tag system in the comments, and send our way ideas for what new ones we could introduce in the future.
We’re always on the lookout for great ideas that can make your experience with GOG more enjoyable, and we’ll keep tinkering and working towards that goal, so stay tuned!
a tags system can be good, just don't let the general public near it. steam's tags are useless because devs and players both abuse it and it's impossible to find anything that's actually that thing.

also, here's a dilemma. randomly checked an fmv game, which also has the visual novel tag. now I'm not arguing they're always different things, only presented differently, but if I marked visual novels as ignored because I don't like them, it'd also hide some of the cheesy fmv goodness.
Post edited April 19, 2022 by Dohi64
GOG.com: STORE UPDATE: 170 NEW TAGS TO HELP YOU WITH MORE ACCURATE CATALOG BROWSING AND FILTERING
BreOl72: Nice.
Yes, and it would be even nicer without unnecessary CAPS LOCK.

But better search options are always needed.

lolplatypus: Maybe I'm just blind, but where are the tags? Shouldn't there be a list somewhere?
mqstout: Right now it looks like it's only by searching the tags list. Only the prior short list of tags are visible. (Another thing for Adalia Fundamentalis to fix I guess...)
The news-post uses "non-violent" as an example, but that's not a tag from what I can tell.
Yeah, both tags mentioned in the OP are wrong.
One is worded differently in the tags list, and another one doesn't seem to exist at all.

So I'm not quite sure if this was a newsworthy thing, there are some new tags, and half of them don't even really exist? OK.

Also, if we get very technical about these things, some of the games that pixel graphics tag shows are very questionable recommendations, as they are in fact remakes where there is only some facsimile mode of some pixel arts from the original game.

And I'm not sure if games like Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 are what people looking for pixel arts want to see. Maybe very technically it qualifies for that, but usually pixel arts is used for games where there is some protagonist in 2D environments or something. Certainly very different from Rollercoaster Tycoon's fake 3D isometric view.
BreOl72: Nice.
PixelBoy: Yes, and it would be even nicer without unnecessary CAPS LOCK.
Not mine. shrug
Can we get "Roguelike" listed under Genres?
IronArcturus: Can we get "Roguelike" listed under Genres?
that list needs a serious expansion.
IronArcturus: Can we get "Roguelike" listed under Genres?
Attachments:
rogue.jpg (20 Kb)
Post edited April 19, 2022 by BreOl72
Very interesting. Now, could you implement some kind of a hentai filter that stays selected?
Lol, I pity the guy who has to play all 4220 games in order to tag them correctly.
170 tags is a lot. Is there a way to hide the tags, I won`t use? Maybe a filter option, so I can browse the tags comfortably?

Edit: Ha, my jokey suggestion is already implemented :) Nice work, Gog!
Post edited April 19, 2022 by Oddeus
WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING? :P

... and yes, I had noticed a plethora of tags in the backend and always wondered why they were not in the website game search catalog. Guess it was a work in progress. Anyway, I applaud the belated change ;).
SmollestLight: [...]
P.S.: For the love of all that's holy, can you please also add a way to search for DOSBox and ScummVM powered games?
Post edited April 19, 2022 by WinterSnowfall
Please add the tags into Library so they can be used there
There is some confusion between tags and genres; some are repeated in the two categories.
I wonder why I thought there'd be a graphical representation.
Attachments:
Excellent :) I was absolutely delighted to find that there's a "survival horror" tag :) Yes, I'd suggest that there are probably a couple of other games that should be included in this tag (eg: "Silent Hill 4" and maybe both "Remothered" games) but I'm still amazed that this tag actually exists now :)

It's a major improvement over the old system where - if I wanted to search for all horror games - I actually had to open up a page for a horror game and click on the tags there :) Congratulations again :)
GOG.com: This time, we introduce 170 tags to help with more accurate browsing and filtering.

We hope that this functionality will further improve the discoverability of the games, and help you find exactly what you want, in the shortest time possible.
To further enhace the ability to find exactly what we want, in the shortest time possible, a list of all available tags would be nice.
Simply insert the list into this OP.

Or even better: find a way to display them all where they are actually needed - in the store (per mouse click via a "show all tags available" pop up, or something like that).
high rated
BreOl72: To further enhance the ability to find exactly what we want, in the shortest time possible, a list of all available tags would be nice.
'2D', '4X', 'Atmospheric', 'Auto Battler', 'Base Building', "Beat 'em up", 'Board Game', 'Bullet Hell', 'CRPG', 'Card Game', 'Cartoony', 'Casual', 'Cats', 'Choices Matter', 'Choose Your Own Adventure', 'City builder', 'Classic', 'Cooking', 'Crafting', 'Crime', 'Cyberpunk', 'Dark', 'Dark Comedy', 'Dating Sim', 'Deckbuilding', 'Difficult', 'Dinosaurs', 'Dog', 'Dungeon Crawler', 'Dystopian', 'Education', 'Emotional', 'Escape Room', 'Exploration', 'FMV', 'FPS', 'Family Friendly', 'Fantasy', 'Farming', 'Female Protagonist', 'Fighting', 'First-Person', 'Fishing', 'Flight', 'Football', 'Funny', 'Good Old Game', 'Gore', 'Grand Strategy', 'Great Soundtrack', 'Hack and Slash', 'Hentai', 'Hidden Object', 'Historical', 'Horror', 'Indie', 'Investigation', 'Isometric', 'JRPG', 'LGBTQ+', 'LevelEditor', 'LifeSim', 'Local Co-Op', 'Local Multiplayer', 'Logic', 'Looter Shooter', 'Lovecraftian', 'Magic', 'Management', 'Martial Arts', 'Match3', 'Mature', 'Medieval', 'Metroidvania', 'Military', 'Modern', 'Movie', 'Multiplayer', 'Multiple Endings', 'Mystery', 'Mythology', 'NSFW', 'Nature', 'Naval', 'Ninja', 'Noir', 'Nudity', 'Open World', 'Parody', 'Party Game', 'Perma Death', 'Philosophical', 'Physics', 'Pinball', 'Pirates', 'Pixel Graphics', 'Platformer', 'Point&Click', 'Politics', 'Post-apocalyptic', 'Procedural Generation', 'Psychological', 'Psychological Horror', 'Puzzle', 'Puzzle Platformer', 'RTS', 'Racing', 'Real-Time', 'Realistic', 'Relaxing', 'Remake', 'Resource Management', 'Rhythm', 'Robots', 'Roguelike', 'Roguelite', 'Romance', 'Sandbox', 'Sci-fi', 'Science', 'Sexual Content', "Shoot'EmUp", 'Shooter', 'Short', 'Simulation', 'Sniper', 'Soccer', 'Souls-like', 'Space', 'Split Screen', 'Sports', 'Stealth', 'Steampunk', 'Story Rich', 'Superhero', 'Supernatural', 'Surreal', 'Survival', 'Survival Horror', 'Tabletop', 'Tactical', 'Tactical RPG', 'Tanks', 'Text-Based', 'Third Person', 'Thriller', 'Time Manipulation', 'Top-Down', 'Tower Defense', 'Trading', 'Trains', 'Transportation', 'Turn-Based', 'Twin Stick Shooter', 'Typing', 'Underground', 'Underwater', 'VR', 'Vampire', 'Vikings', 'Violent', 'Visual Novel', 'Walking Simulator', 'War', 'Werewolves', 'Western', 'World War I', 'World War II', 'Zombies'

You're welcome :P