It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

muntdefems: Finally, a comment regarding Figment:

muntdefems: I'm afraid this is also the case for the Linux build. There's no option to save the game, and if you go back to the main menu you won't find any option to continue, only to start a new game. :\

On the other hand, and according to HLTB, the game seems beatable in a single sitting.
muntdefems: It doesn't matter anymore, as after the latest update (v1.1.8) the game now requires the client to run. :(
Wow - quite a move backwards. Let's just pray for GOG connect here and be done with it ;)
Not much luck with the new Origins Bundle from Fanatical. :(

I've only managed to confirm Gloom (new game) and STARWHAL (already on the Wiki) as DRM-free on Linux (Punch Club was already confirmed for both Windows and Linux).

I haven't been able to get any of the other games to work, including:

· Overfall: this one had been added to the wiki back in March by an anonymous user, but I failed to run both its Linux and Windows builds (the latter at least started with Wine, but many menu options either didn't appear or didn't respond to mouse clicks; plus, there were some Steam-related error messages in its log).

· River City Ransom: Underground: this one was allegedly confirmed as being DRM-free by the developer, but if so it must be the Windows version only, as the Linux one crashed on launch and explicitly complained about not being able to detect the Steam runtime. I've checked both the newest build and the one available back when the dev stated that the game was DRM-free (July 2017). The Windows version maybe doesn't depend on the client, but I couldn't get it to run on Wine so I cannot tell.

PS: I'm not really interested on either Comedy Night or Outpost Zero so I didn't activate those keys. I'm willing to give then away to anyone who promises to test their DRM status and report back. :)
Post edited October 19, 2018 by muntdefems
muntdefems: It was updated a couple of weeks ago, so it's possible that it isn't DRM-free anymore. :\
muntdefems: I've just re-downloaded it and it worked fine, at least on Linux. Make sure you do as explained here.
Tried this again yesterday on a new computer. Fresh installs on Linux and Windows. I can confirm that the steam_appid.txt trick is still working on Linux, but no longer working in Windows.

I noticed the Windows version comes with GogGalaxyHooks.dll even with the Steam version, so I was hopeful that I'd be able to import it into Galaxy or download the DRM free version through GOG Connect, but neither was possible.
Makaque: I noticed the Windows version comes with GogGalaxyHooks.dll even with the Steam version, so I was hopeful that I'd be able to import it into Galaxy or download the DRM free version through GOG Connect, but neither was possible.
If you are really interested in the DRM-free GOG copy of Oxenfree there's still a key available here. Since it once was a freebie just ask for it. Don't worry, it is the German community giveaway but you can ask for it in English as well.
Post edited October 19, 2018 by MarkoH01
Okay, we're all updated once again! As always, thanks to everyone for reporting your findings here.

muntdefems: Oh, by the way: the other day I let my OCD tendencies get ahold of me and started editing the wiki page myself. Mainly properly sorting alphabetically the games, updating some OS availabilities, and such. I only did the smaller tables and the biggest one up to 'B'. I posted a note in the Talk page to see if the regular editors were OK with it, but nobody has replied yet, so I'll take that as a "go on". :P

Unless he wants me to do it myself, I'll let pedrovay2003 in charge of adding the reports posted in here, though.

And, since we learnt that steamCMD can retrieve old builds of games, I think we should discuss what to do with those cases in which an old build is DRM-free, but the most recent one is not (like e.g. Absolute Drift, which I reported above). Should we add them to the wiki page? If so, we should note the exact build that doesn't require the client in order to work. Maybe a new table would be in order for those cases? What do you all think?
Trust me, I have absolutely no problems with any help that you're willing to provide. :P I know I don't get to this as often as I should, so anything you want to do works for me.

As far as older versions of games go, as long as we note what version works, like you did with noting older manifest versions in a couple of games, I think that's fine. SteamCMD and the regular Steam client can both download old versions of games, so as long as they're available to everyone, I think they should count here.
pedrovay2003: Trust me, I have absolutely no problems with any help that you're willing to provide. :P I know I don't get to this as often as I should, so anything you want to do works for me.
Nice. I've gone ahead and made some additions and modification of my own. I'm also posting them here for the benefit of the followers of this thread:

Linux games new to the Wiki

· AntVentor: needed the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (739190)

· InnerSpace

· Jump Gunners

· Moss Destruction: needed the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (876220)

· Suicide Guy

· The Dwarves

Windows games new to the Wiki (and tested with Wine set as Windows 7)

· 35MM: it also works natively on Linux with a Unity v4.6.5f1 runtime + the appropriate Steamworks libraries

· Bad Mojo Redux: I was getting the "No BADMOJO.INI in the current directory or in the Windows directory." error, so I had to create that file as explained here

· Bombshell

· Burly Men at Sea

· Claire: it also works natively on Linux with a Unity v4.2.1f4 runtime

· Evil Genius

· Wormster Dash

Games already on the Wiki and confirmed on Linux

· Battlevoid: Harbinger

· Hollow Knight: needed the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (367520) [*]

· Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number: needed the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (274170) [*]

· INK needed the 'steam_appid.txt trick' (385710) [*]

· Minit

· Monstrum

Linux games already on the Wiki that are no longer DRM-free

· Closure [*]

· Frozen Synapse [*]

· Sunless Sea [*]

· The Bard's Tale [*]

[*] I wonder whether these games also require the 'steam_appid.txt trick' on the other OSs, or are no longer DRM-free either on them. New tests on Windows and macOS would be welcome.
Post edited November 05, 2018 by muntdefems
I've just got Last Knight: Rogue Rider Edition working on Wine (as Windows 7) without the Steam client. I've added it to the Wiki as well.
This is a premiere: The UPCOMING Distraint 2 (will be released on 11/13/2018) by Jesse Makkonen will run without the Steam client according to the dev himself (who is also self publishing). Here's what he told me when I asked him.

"Ah yes, unfortunately, piracy is still a problem, but I'll stick going DRM-free. :)
So yeah, same as with my previous games! And I might even release on GOG a little later too!"

Since I loved Distraint 1 these are great news for me. You can decide if you want to add this to the list already or rather wait until somebody actually was able to test it.
Post edited November 07, 2018 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: You can decide if you want to add this to the list already or rather wait until somebody actually was able to test it.
Call me Saint Thomas, but I'd wait until the game is released and somebody can check it. :P

In other news, I've just checked that the Linux version of Epic Car Factory doesn't need the client at all (and I've added it to the Wiki).
MarkoH01: You can decide if you want to add this to the list already or rather wait until somebody actually was able to test it.
muntdefems: Call me Saint Thomas, but I'd wait until the game is released and somebody can check it. :P
O.K. Thomas - how about a bet then? ;)
muntdefems: Call me Saint Thomas, but I'd wait until the game is released and somebody can check it. :P
MarkoH01: O.K. Thomas - how about a bet then? ;)
I'm no betting man, and there's no need really. I trust Makkonen's word, but I don't see any point in adding this game to the wiki when it's not available for purchase yet.

I'm only sad about him only seeling his games on Steam, given how he seems so committed to DRM-freedom.
MarkoH01: O.K. Thomas - how about a bet then? ;)
muntdefems: I'm no betting man, and there's no need really. I trust Makkonen's word, but I don't see any point in adding this game to the wiki when it's not available for purchase yet.

I'm only sad about him only seeling his games on Steam, given how he seems so committed to DRM-freedom.
But this might change - just look at the last sentence I quoted.
MarkoH01: But this might change - just look at the last sentence I quoted.
True. But that will ultimately depend on GOG's curation team.

Releasing on itch.io, on the other hand, is free and readily available to anyone.
I am curious. As many of you might know "The Long Dark" is not available on GOG anymore. Some assumed the reason for this could be the new piblisher who might not like the DRM-free approach. Since I know saw that it is on the list of Steam games that can be run without Steam I was wondering if this still is the case.
MarkoH01: I am curious. As many of you might know "The Long Dark" is not available on GOG anymore. Some assumed the reason for this could be the new piblisher who might not like the DRM-free approach. Since I know saw that it is on the list of Steam games that can be run without Steam I was wondering if this still is the case.
I could check the Linux build later tonight, if you want. :)