It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A bridge across galaxies.

There has been an awakening... have you felt it? STAR WARS Battlefront II (Classic, 2005), the critically acclaimed shooter of massively entertaining warfare, has received a critical update. Powered by GOG Galaxy, the multiplayer function of the game has now been restored AND with added Crossplay support between GOG Galaxy and Steam to boot.

This long-awaited feature finally brings the entire STAR WARS™ Battlefront™ II community together, no matter which part of the galaxy you come from, so go ahead and jump into the fray.

If you haven't experienced it yet, now's an excellent time to get STAR WARS Battlefront II (Classic, 2005), either on its own or as part of the STAR WARS Saber Bundle. Don't forget to check out the rest of our Force-sensitive deals too, all part of our big Disney Completion Sale.
So I'm very confused and would love very much if a gog.com employee can answer this question with the correct information if I'm missing something.

So Star Wars: Battlefront II has A Server browser List, but no support for Dedicated Servers? If there is support for A Server Browser List there must be support for Dedicated Servers that we can host and Dedicated Servers that we can rent to host our servers to run 24/7.

I tried on Steam looking at this and also someone told me there is no Dedicated Server support.

Will gog.com introduce Dedicated Server support with Rentable Dedicated Server support if it's missing?

It's been four years or so since I last tried any of this much on Star Wars: Battlefront II.

Thank you to the gog.com employees for the answer you provide whenever you get the chance to answer my question.
Sigh please delete this comment, since the slow time for the other comment took to appear.
Post edited October 03, 2017 by Johnathanamz
Very nice! :) Great job, guys.
Sweet, I loved SWBF1 and 2. I'll most certainly play this.
IDPLAY: Fantastic news.

Now if only GOG would get the Steam versions of KOTOR 2 and Empire at War.
I'm wondering the same on this matter.
high rated
Johnathanamz: So I'm very confused and would love very much if a gog.com employee can answer this question with the correct information if I'm missing something.

So Star Wars: Battlefront II has A Server browser List, but no support for Dedicated Servers? If there is support for A Server Browser List there must be support for Dedicated Servers that we can host and Dedicated Servers that we can rent to host our servers to run 24/7.

I tried on Steam looking at this and also someone told me there is no Dedicated Server support.

Will gog.com introduce Dedicated Server support with Rentable Dedicated Server support if it's missing?

It's been four years or so since I last tried any of this much on Star Wars: Battlefront II.

Thank you to the gog.com employees for the answer you provide whenever you get the chance to answer my question.
Hi,

Myself and a small group of other long time battlefront II community members that have been active in the online community when it existed on third party platforms are looking into this.

There is actually existing dedicated server software for Battlefront II that has been used for the past 12 years, and we're currently looking to see whether or not we can modify it to work with the new master servers.

At this point I'm 95% sure that we cannot, so we are looking to contact some of GOG's software engineers (GOG mods if you're reading this I would really appreciate it if you could get someone to contact me by email). It looks like they changed the protocols used to connect to the MS, which means the gamespy software is useless unless it will be recompiled.

If GOG can back to me and the BF2 hosts who have years of experience hosting dedicated servers for the game (across multiple platforms) with addresses for the master server (we think we may already have found the correct one) or release dedicated server software then we can have about 10 dedicated servers up and running in a day - we all rent virtual machines to host them on with top grade internet speeds. I would not expect GOG to providde rentable machines for you, as far as I know this was never done by the original creators of the game, they were either home-hosted rooms or privately paid for dedicated servers such as ours.

Either way, it is VITAL that GOG release information regarding the new master server or recompiled dedicated server tools as soon as possible, because until they do they've actually killed multiplayer, not brought it back. Battlefront II is a 2005 game, almost everything relating to the game is controlled on the server side when it comes to hosting, not the client side, so the host machines need to have properly configured high speed internet connection to provide an effective server. For BF2 online it is the server that holds the "true" picture of what is actually happening in game, normal consumer internet connections won't be good enough to provide a server that multiple people can play on without having 250 ping + (at which point its not really playable).

Dedicated servers are vital for BF2 multiplayer, and until myself and others are able to move our servers over to GOGs master server, multiplayer for the game is even more dead than it was a week ago, as those who patched will be unable to use the SWBFSpy online patch or Gameranger to play online anymore.

Please please, can someone from GOG get back to us about this. There are members of the online community who have hosted servers for this game for longer than GOG has existed and who know the software that was used very, very well, we just need to get in touch with a software engineer.

This being said, as someone who's been playing the game online throughout the server shutdown, I'm delighted that GOG have done this. As soon as dedicated server support is available we'll have an amazing online experience for SWBF2.

Thanks,

- AsLan

P.S. I admin for the three largest discord servers that have hosted the BF2 community in the years since the gamespy shutdown, the main one can be found here:

https://discord.gg/cCzbSyn
Amazing, now I hope you can take the first Star Wars Battlefront on GOG.
I too am an "old" SWBF2 player from 2011 until about 2014/15. I am glad that GOG came up with the idea, but for now, the game is unusable. Selfhosts are a joke and since the old 1.1 server software seems to not work with the new master servers, there is no point in returning - sadly.
In addition, I cannot join any server at all. Connection closed by host or something like that.

PM me if there is a new, viable option to run a dedicated server software (Windows Server 2008), then I may restart the old (f1N4L)~Train and Fun Server ;)
does this support my retail disc copy of Battlefront 2? or do i have to buy the game on GOG or Steam?
A question for everyone who has tried multiplayer: is the game still alive and kicking or there are very few players?
When I first saw crossplay, I almost thought that crossplay was enabled between PS2/Xbox(OG)/PSP/PC(Steam/GOG)

Of course, that's just me doing a crazy dream dance, but even bringing back Official Multiplayer in a patch is pretty sweet for this 12 year old game,considering 2016 games Online servers get shutdown nowadays. Bringing that crossplatform play between Steam/GOG is a nice benefit as well.

I think it's time to jump in a match, for old time's sake.

Thanks Disney...Now where's the digital version of the first Star Wars: Battlefront??? :D
Cant connect to any server! Has anyone actually played?
Exarkun631: Cant connect to any server! Has anyone actually played?
I actually got in last nite and played. It was a lot of fun however x-box 360 controllers are seen as joysticks. Also, I have heard from a friend the MP upgrade was actually a DOWNGRADE patch wise (1.3 to 1.1). Only major problem I had was spawn timer.
Enebias: A question for everyone who has tried multiplayer: is the game still alive and kicking or there are very few players?
About 2500 Steam players fill the multiplayer alone, then you also have to add GOG players in the mix. Population may drop after the initial hype, when the new Battlefront II is released, and technical issues still exists.

https://steamdb.info/app/6060/graphs/
nice