It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A bridge across galaxies.

There has been an awakening... have you felt it? STAR WARS Battlefront II (Classic, 2005), the critically acclaimed shooter of massively entertaining warfare, has received a critical update. Powered by GOG Galaxy, the multiplayer function of the game has now been restored AND with added Crossplay support between GOG Galaxy and Steam to boot.

This long-awaited feature finally brings the entire STAR WARS™ Battlefront™ II community together, no matter which part of the galaxy you come from, so go ahead and jump into the fray.

If you haven't experienced it yet, now's an excellent time to get STAR WARS Battlefront II (Classic, 2005), either on its own or as part of the STAR WARS Saber Bundle. Don't forget to check out the rest of our Force-sensitive deals too, all part of our big Disney Completion Sale.
Hohum. Apparently, this update could have made use of another round of testing. Like for quite a few others the game simply locks up for me once it tries accessing the Galaxy connection.
Post edited October 03, 2017 by mistermumbles
I cannot share the hype for replacing one single-point-of-failure multiplayer solution which already has died with another single-point-of-failure multiplayer solution which also will die at some point.

Can anyone at least confirm that LAN multiplayer still is supported by the new version?

Johnathanamz: It has Dedicated Servers and A Server Browser List.
A dedicated multiplayer server version, that's the way to go for a DRM free game.
Post edited October 03, 2017 by eiii
eiii: Can anyone at least confirm that LAN multiplayer still is supported by the new version?
It looks like it's still available. That is, if you can get past the galaxy connection the game tries to make every time one hits multiplayer.
mistermumbles: That is, if you can get past the galaxy connection the game tries to make every time one hits multiplayer.
What does that mean? Of course the LAN multiplayer mode has to work without having an Internet (and Galaxy) connection. Does it work without it?
Post edited October 03, 2017 by eiii
That's incredible. You guys are incredible.
Another case of GOG magic. I imagine the GOG magicians use some sort of pixie dust and rub it all over old games so that they work on modern systems, and even restores online functionality.

Cringe comment aside, thanks a bunch. That's all I really wanted to say :)
Cool! Now do it for Republic Commando, Empire at War, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy and we're golden!
strange-benhur: Does this patch work with the CD version of the game? I still have that version lying around and was wondering if said update or patch would work on it.
You need GOG Galaxy client to make use of crossplay functionality and Galaxy only recognizes GOG version of the game that you own on GOG so even if patch was provided, you would not be able to use new functionality.
strange-benhur: Does this patch work with the CD version of the game? I still have that version lying around and was wondering if said update or patch would work on it.
Petrell: You need GOG Galaxy client to make use of crossplay functionality and Galaxy only recognizes GOG version of the game that you own on GOG so even if patch was provided, you would not be able to use new functionality.
aww that sucks, maybe one day they will support CD users as well.
"Powered by GOG Galaxy, the multiplayer function of the game has now been restored AND with added Crossplay support between GOG Galaxy and Steam to boot."

Is this compatible with the steam version or not? http://store.steampowered.com/app/6060/

Mine just says unknown error.
Now THIS is good news.
This is fabulous news. Crossplay with GOG and Steam should be how it is always!
TheDarkerSide: Cool! Now do it for Republic Commando, Empire at War, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy and we're golden!
Rebuplic Commando has/had multiplayer?
Hey, that's actually really cool.
loserspearl: Is this compatible with the steam version or not? http://store.steampowered.com/app/6060/

Mine just says unknown error.
It's supposed to be. Whole point of Galaxy Crossplay feature is to allow multiplayer between Galaxy and Steam client users. There's probably a bug if it does not work for you so do report it to support.
Post edited October 03, 2017 by Petrell
paladin181: Good to know. Nothing major then, in my case. I have Widescreen mods and don't care for controller support or cheevos. Thanks for the information though. Awesome.
I don't know, my gog version routinely crashes on FMVs. I managed to get through KOTOR 1, got fed up with it soon after starting KOTOR 2 when unexpected FMV+crash made me loose large chunk of gameplay. One of my bigger disappointments here, not because of gameplay but because of technical state. Native large resolution support sounds like it could help with that. I didn't try any mods, maybe I could fix it myself, but it wasn't worth the bother and research this time.