It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: I need Tilly to die in a transporter mulfunction off screen and never be mentioned again.
I'm starting to have that viewpoint as well.

Made me think of this.
Caesar.: And I need more Captain Killy. :D
Breja: I need Tilly to die in a transporter mulfunction off screen and never be mentioned again.
Poor Tilly... I thought she was annoying at first, but she has won me over. Now... I even see some of me in her.

We definitely need a Tilly/KIlly showdown. Or at least have the real Killy in one episode, if she's not in the next. That way they could kill Killy and at least you can see her die once? (Trying to reach a compromise here).

----------

Re: the mysterious faceless Emperor. It obviously need to be someone we know. I wish it was Georgiu. I just don't think we'll be so lucky to have Michelle Yeoh back, but it would be a blast.
Post edited January 12, 2018 by Caesar.
Caesar.: Poor Tilly... I thought she was annoying at first, but she has won me over. Now... I even see some of me in her.
Nah, you're not nearly as annoying :D
johnnygoging: Mm not sure about that one. If I were guessing I'd say that mirror emperor is either Georgiou or Cornwell.
Or Stamets. :) This theory is now popular too.

Lifthrasil: Discovery started out very, very bad. Let's see whether it improves and explains at some point, why they mistook some refugees from the planet of the apes for Klingons.
If I remember correctly, they promised to explain everything. I'm more interested in their explanation of mushroom drive because in original series there was mentioning that Klingons. After all, they was redesigned one time and there was an explanation of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0xqaLLydlc
Or here: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon_augment_virus

Also, there is a theory, that Klingons we see on DIS is just some "old" Klingons yet unaffected by recent genetic changes. After all, this is happening after ENT, but before TOS. Maybe before ENT there was also something like that.

Caesar.: However, there is something I really don't like: the super-advance plastic surgery to change species. I find it extremely stupid and I was hoping I'd never have to see it again. Oh well, at least it was not a holodeck malfunction. But if they are going that route, at least the story is interesting enough. It reminded me of the sleeper Cylons in Battlestar Galactica. And of course, the idea is very similar to one DS9 episode (with a totally different resolution).
Actually, Klingon disguised as human is canon and right from TOS:

The thing is, this is basically beat for beat the plot of “The Trouble with Tribbles,” albeit with a great deal fewer darkly lit interiors and savage beatings. In that episode, a Klingon agent named Arne Darvin masquerades as a human to infiltrate a Federation post, where he attempts to poison grain meant for a planet with disputed Federation-Klingon ownership. Darvin is only outed because the innocuous, fluffy tribbles have a particular hatred of Klingons, and tend to freak out in their presence, which leads Kirk to discover his identity and save the day.
Source: https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/10/20/16504260/star-trek-discovery-voq-ash-tyler-shazad-latif-javid-iqbal-fake-actor-tribbles
Post edited January 13, 2018 by Andrey82
Andrey82: Actually, Klingon disguised as human is canon and right from TOS:
Yes, and look at how Klingons looked in that show. They didn't need half of their skull cut off to wear a hat.

Also, only his outside appearance was modified. He was easily identified as a Klingon by McCoy. We don't know the exact story of how he was planted, so we assume he somehow bypassed any medical scans that we know Tyler was given.

And most importantly- THAT WAS A COMEDY EPISODE. While Discovery tries to be a serious war drama. Like your favourite captain said "context is for kings".

And by the way, doesn't Lorca keep a fucking tribble in his office?! Was Tyler, the security chief, never in his office?
Watched the latest episode. I like the direction the show is taking by going to the Mirror Universe. That universe fits better with the current theme and tone for this series. It looks like the rest of this season will take place there so I rewatched some of the older Star Treks about the Miror Universe to refresh my memory. In case anyone else wants to rewatch or watch for the first time, here's the list of what I think are essential episodes to prep for the remainder of Discovery's season.

TOS "Mirror, Mirror" (First episode that introduced the Mirror Universe)
TOS "The Tholian Web" (Not technically about the Mirror Universe itself but features the USS Defiant that ends up in the Mirror Universe and is featured in the ENT episode mentioned below)
ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly Parts 1 & 2" (Sort of a prequel to the events happening in Discovery right now)

There are some DS9 Mirror episodes but since they're much further in the Trek timeline, I didn't rewatch those.

Also, one small point I like to point out after rewatching The Tholian Web. During the episode when an away team is sent aboard the Defiant, they see signs that the crew mutinied. Chekov asks Spock if there ever has been a mutiny on board a Federation starship. Spock replies, "Absolutely no record of such an occurrence, Ensign". This contradicts Discovery's claim that Burnham was the first Federation mutineer. A small complaint given how much else Discovery contradicts prior Star Trek history but I thought I'd share that tidbit.
Andrey82: Also, there is a theory, that Klingons we see on DIS is just some "old" Klingons yet unaffected by recent genetic changes. After all, this is happening after ENT, but before TOS. Maybe before ENT there was also something like that.
But Klingons are from the very start in ENT, before te augmentation virus, and their look like the Klingons of TNG, DS9 and VOY.

Anyway look how Trils look in TNG and how they look in DS9 and ENT.

By the way, for now, I only see the first four episodes, but, not any more noticed that the events in DIS lead to the Kor episodes of DS9?
As example, this white klingon is the one that poisoned and killed Kor son.
Something I hope they acknowledge is how Michael became Captain of the Shenzhou. Unless Georgiu is the secret Emperor, then that means that Mirror Universe probably killed her Georgiu! More drama for her.

I also wonder if she was raised by Vulcans (unlikely, although maybe the Terran Empire revived the Roman tradition of slave teachers).

BenKii: There are some DS9 Mirror episodes but since they're much further in the Trek timeline, I didn't rewatch those.
Those were a bit cheesy (of course) but the storyline fits well within DS9. It shows how a different set of events and alliances turn the oppressed into oppresors. And Nana Visitor is spectacular playing Mirror Kyra.

Although they were a bit too far with every female character being revealed as bisexual in the Mirror Universe.
Well this was boring. The first fifteen minutes was almost painful to watch. Just so freaking boring, and a pretentious monologue like something Chris Carter would write for a bad X-Files opening. Also, I call total bullshit on Discovery crew not being able to immediately figure out what really happened to their doctor. I mean seriously, even if there are no cameras there, that was a murder commited with no plan with bare hands. Basic forensics should tell them who did it. That's all assuming Tyler had the presence of mind and the time to erase everything the doctor just learned about him.

And Sarek was part of the rebellion, but Spock still gets to be a first officer on the Enterprise? Sounds a bit dodgy.

Also- woohoo, we've seen our first andorian on Discovery. Guess what? He looks like a freaking Andorian! Tell me again why exactly did we have to radically redisgn the Klingons to look like HR Gigers orcs, if a far less iconic race gets to look pretty much exactly the same?

I must have missed the part where Burnham informed Discovery about Tyler's identity and her plan to send him over with the data :P

Why the hell did the medics just leave Stammets apparently "dead" body in that chamber instead of taking him to sickbay? What, did they just shrug after he flatlined and decided it's not worth the bother? No post-mortem either? Yeah, I guess we don't need to know the details of how the spore drive changed his body and what killed him. It's not like that guy and the drive he was an integral part of is important to our getting out of a hostile parallel... oh.

I'm disappointed by Georgiou as the emperor. So predictable. Why even call her "emperor" and not "empress"? For the "twist" that feveryone saw coming? (sidenote, I wonder if Georgiou might be a descendant of Sato?)

Finally, after Lorca convinced Burnham to remain on the Shenzhou and after that smirk from him when he saw the "emperor", I'm now pretty much convinced he really is from the Mirror Universe.
Post edited January 16, 2018 by Breja
Who would have guessed?
Oh, right, everyone could.

I loved the part with Voq.
B: "Tell me your secret, Klingon, how can you lead this rebellion?"
V: "We fight or we would be slaughtered."
B: "But how can it be all these races work together?"
V: "We are all being oppressed."
B: "But what is your secret of this alliance?"
V: "We would die otherwise."
B: "Oh, so you mean you need common adversary? You opened my eyes."

I guess next goal after getting home is to find powerful enemy to force Klingon on UFP side.
Romulan are close, or they could teleport into Gamma Quadrant and bring Dominion. Or maybe tip off Borg to make things more interesting. :-)
Post edited January 15, 2018 by Vitek
Vitek: Who would have guessed?
Oh, right, everyone could.

I loved the part with Voq.
B: "Tell me your secret, Klingon, how can you lead this rebellion?"
V: "We fight or we would be slaughtered."
B: "But how can it be all these races work together?"
V: "We are all being oppressed."
B: "But what is your secret of this alliance?"
V: "We would die otherwise."
B: "Oh, so you mean you need common adversary? You opened my eyes."
Yeah, that was some amazing insight. Then again we've known Burnham is an idiot frome episode one, so I guess this is in character :P
Breja: Why even call her "emperor" and not "empress"? For the "twist" that feveryone saw coming?
That reminds me of Lord Dominator from Wander over Yonder.
I don't know if it was the writing, the directing or the editing, but something was off was this episode. The Michael/Tyler storyline was dull. Michael didn't really learn anything useful during her adventure (at first I thought the real reason she was insisting in going on the away mission was that she could have the chance to teleport the crystal with the data to Discovery). Tyler's secret was kept hidden for a few more minutes when Sarek didn't even try to mindmeld with him. And then they spend too much time on the big revelation that had already been revealed to the audience last week. At least the cat is now out of the bag so hopefully next week the pacing won't be so annoying.

However, I did like TIlly's and Lorca's scenes (the several and the one). It's fun that learning about Killy will probably help Tilly with trusting more about her own capabilities. Even Saru and Mirror Saru were interesting.

Georgiu as the Emperor is fanservice but I am very happy she is back.

Breja: Also, I call total bullshit on Discovery crew not being able to immediately figure out what really happened to their doctor. I mean seriously, even if there are no cameras there, that was a murder commited with no plan with bare hands. Basic forensics should tell them who did it. That's all assuming Tyler had the presence of mind and the time to erase everything the doctor just learned about him.
Haven't they just assumed that Stamets in his catatonic state did it? They found him embracing the doctor's dead body. I think that's why later Tilly said "This is not the real Stamets". Of course, the absence of cameras is, again, very convenient (I can't remember if there was anything similar to security cameras in other Starfleet ships).

Breja: I must have missed the part where Burnham informed Discovery about Tyler's identity and her plan to send him over with the data :P
Just like in the timeloop episode, she told them off-camera. We saw earlier that she had a secure channel to communicate with Saru and Tilly. I think it's better this way than spoiling the twist several minutes in advance (especially when it was not that difficult to spot in the first place).

Vitek: I guess next goal after getting home is to find powerful enemy to force Klingon on UFP side.
Romulan are close, or they could teleport into Gamma Quadrant and bring Dominion. Or maybe tip off Borg to make things more interesting. :-)
Romulans are a very real possibility, considering they were planned as the next big villain in Enterprise, had the show not been cancelled.
Post edited January 19, 2018 by Caesar.
Breja: Sarek was part of the rebellion, but Spock still gets to be a first officer on the Enterprise? Sounds a bit dodgy.
Not simply dodgy, impossible. In Discovery Terran Empire is rasist, so other races can't serve on ships side by side with humans (only as slaves like Seru).

Breja: I must have missed the part where Burnham informed Discovery about Tyler's identity and her plan to send him over with the data :P
No biggie. The whole crew of Sheng... whatever missed how Burnam in a few seconds changed transporter destination. Not to mention they missed the Discovery looming in transporter range.

Breja: Finally, after Lorca convinced Burnham to remain on the Shenzhou and after that smirk from him when he saw the "emperor", I'm now pretty much convinced he really is from the Mirror Universe.
My question is - why Burnam said that identity of Emperror is hidden? No one seemed surprised when she appeared.

All in all. I think new episodes just continue Discovery's trend to defy logic, common sense, continuity and now even Gene Roddenberry's ideas themselves.
Caesar.: Just like in the timeloop episode, she told them off-camera. We saw earlier that she had a secure channel to communicate with Saru and Tilly. I think it's better this way than spoiling the twist several minutes in advance (especially when it was not that difficult to spot in the first place).
I know she has a channel, my confusion is more due to... well, how the fuck is Discovery in transporter range? Seriously. They did not follow Shenzhou on their new mission. They couldn't spore-jump to that location. Seriously- where is Discovery, and how was it in range? Unless I just missed something because I was too bored and didn't pay enough attention.

Also, I'm tired of twists. God, I'm tired of them. It's an obsession of modern TV. Knowing what's going on and what the plan is is not always "spoiling a twist" because not everything has to be a twist. But no, these days everyone has to have a secret identity or a secret agenda or something, every plan has to have a twist. Fuck this. If I want twist, I'll listen to Sam Cooke.

LootHunter: My question is - why Burnam said that identity of Emperror is hidden? No one seemed surprised when she appeared.
See above :P

This was what... three "twist" in one episode? Not that any of them was actually much of a surprise. Not only do they rely on twists to the point of insanity, but they also suck at it.
Post edited January 19, 2018 by Breja