It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Stig79: I asked about it on the shows official Facebook page. My question got deleted within a minute.
BenKii: I smell a section 31 conspiracy afoot. :P

On a serious note, that indie developer should really look into this. I think there are too many similarities to be a coincidence.
Haha no. Most likely not. Probably just some admin being extra careful. Still there was a rather bigoted comment about the gay characters in the same thread. That one was left alone.
So far Discovery seems interesting but nothing like previous Star Trek series. Just doesnt click with me as it should. I loved all the previous series but I mean this one is stil enjoyable just somehow doesnt seem right.

At the moment I think Orville is a much better Star Trek show, which is ironical since its not a Star Trek show at all.
Matruchus: At the moment I think Orville is a much better Star Trek show
At this point I think any space opera is better Star Trek show than Discovery..
Caesar.: If this is true, someone will need to start preparing some explanations... Not the part about some characters having the same skin color (which is reading too much into it), but the whole plot about tardigrades. I mean, it's ridiculous how they wouldn't even change the word.
until you realize the darkly complected bearded guy and the blonde guy are a gay couple in the game too.

BenKii: I smell a section 31 conspiracy afoot. :P

On a serious note, that indie developer should really look into this. I think there are too many similarities to be a coincidence.
Stig79: Haha no. Most likely not. Probably just some admin being extra careful. Still there was a rather bigoted comment about the gay characters in the same thread. That one was left alone.
within a minute? that's not being careful that's being preped.
Post edited October 20, 2017 by johnnygoging
Caesar.: If this is true, someone will need to start preparing some explanations... Not the part about some characters having the same skin color (which is reading too much into it), but the whole plot about tardigrades. I mean, it's ridiculous how they wouldn't even change the word.
johnnygoging: until you realize the darkly complected bearded guy and the blonde guy are a gay couple in the game too.

Stig79: Haha no. Most likely not. Probably just some admin being extra careful. Still there was a rather bigoted comment about the gay characters in the same thread. That one was left alone.
johnnygoging: within a minute? that's not being careful that's being preped.
I posted the question as a reply to an official post. So I guess they got a notification for it. Still, it was a rather quick affair. I think a reply would have been better. Something like "We can't comment on this for the time being". Instead of just deleting it asap.
Well, I have never plagiarized anything, but if I were to, I suppose I wouldn't include the title of the original work in the copy.

johnnygoging: until you realize the darkly complected bearded guy and the blonde guy are a gay couple in the game too.
If I have read it right, dark-skinned bearded is gay, but his partner is not pale blonde guy. That's another character he meets later.

I still think the skin colors are not conclusive (nowadays everything seems to have a diverse cast). Not that it is needed, compared to the other evidence.
Post edited October 20, 2017 by Caesar.
Well, fry my tea and call me Albert - this episode was actually watchable!

Ok, there's still a lot of things that bother me - we have holodecks over 100 years too early, Vulcan katra now has some weird healing powers, and it's existance is known even to random cadets (by the way, cadet Tilly is still a microcosm of annoyance of unseen proportion). But hey, that's the kinda stuff one just has to deal with in this shitpile of a show, and other than that thing were pretty decent this time around. Some good character moments, and the whole plot of the episode, the rescue mission, the nebula etc. it was the closest we came to something treky on this show yet.

Though I really don't get why the admirals would be so pissed off about the rescue mission. One of the most important Vulcan officials is immediate danger, what "procedures" are there to follow other than "dispatch a rescue mission ASAP"? If the plot called for a conflict between Lorca and his superiors, there were much better ways to write it in.

Oh, and Discovery's crew get t-shirts that say "DISCO". I now demand an episode where the main cast performs "Staying Alive". That, or at least an episode entitled "Disco Demolition Night".
Post edited October 23, 2017 by Breja
Indeed, it was the best episode thus far and consistently watchable. I sat up from the opening when Michael and Tilly were jogging together, having a conversation and smiling. Discovery has never shown us characters during downtime before. In past episodes the protagonist always spends free time eating alone or watching the ceiling from her bed. It's been such a missed opportunity because those bonding experiences in group dinners, poker games, and ten forward were an essential part of the other Trek shows.
Breja: Ok, there's still a lot of things that bother me - we have holodecks over 100 years too early
Actually, holodeck already was at that time. It was shown in Animated Series.

The most weird thing in this episode for me was, when Burnam told Tilly that she doesn't need to train, like she will make up for that in some other area. I understand that it was made as "be proud of what you are" message, but in reality (and acutally in ST too) it doesn't work that way. To be on important position in the military you need to qualify in ceratin parameters. And if you don't, you don't fit. Because everything can happen and you should be ready. If you can't run fast enough from explosion, you personality won't help you.
Post edited October 24, 2017 by LootHunter
Breja: Ok, there's still a lot of things that bother me - we have holodecks over 100 years too early
LootHunter: Actually, holodeck already was at that time. It was shown in Animated Series.
Is TAS canon? I thought it wasn't. I have to admit I never watched TAS in it's entirety. I tried, but it's just not very good. But I definately remember that it was mentioned, I think on Voyager, that there were no holodecks on starfleet ships before the 24th century.

But ok, I guess if there is a straw to grasp I can let that one slide, it's a minor nitpick compared to everything else on htis show.
While I have never been too fond of episodes where one character travels into other character's mind, that's undeniably part of Star Trek, and it built nicely to Sarek's revelation. To see that the legendary Vulcan has some flaws after all...

The captatin getting captured, discussion about the status of a newly-discovered species... The last couple of episodes have brought back scenarios that have always been part of Star Trek. And what they have changed, I like. I have never enjoyed Klingon episodes very much; they are always about a Klingon fallen in dishonor (usually Worf) who can't stop whining about his House's honor. Now we have a different kind of Klingon (I assume the main Klingons we have seen are part of an extremist political faction and or fanatic cult, and do not represent all the Klingons). And the redesigned look, after the initial shock, I think doesn't look bad.

The same goes with the Federation/Vulcans. I am glad we have different characters with different ideologies/behaviours. It's time we drop this Planet of Hats trope.

Lorca has also been getting more screen time and character development, and that's great. I am still a bit concerned that almost every plot has Michael as the main character. We need to diversify the stories, and the addition of Ash to the cast could help with that.

They still need to address the cliffhanger in episode 5 with the mirror. Stamets looked a bit off in episode 6.

Breja: But I definately remember that it was mentioned, I think on Voyager, that there were no holodecks on starfleet ships before the 24th century.
I caught this! Having watched very limited TOS, I usually don't notice the continuity errors. I remember the episode where Janeway said that Kirk and company had a very different life because of the threat of war and because they didn't enjoy holodecks or replicators.

However, in Enterprise the crew encountered an alien ship with a working holodeck, so the Federation has known of their existence for a long time. The one in this episode looked like a protoype or an early version (the holo-Klingons disintegrate when shot, instead of leaving a corpse, and it seemed like the shape of the holodeck, a corridor, didn't change in the simulation).

We haven't seen replicators yet, although the food dispensers have definitely evolved since the Enterprise days.
Post edited October 24, 2017 by Caesar.
Caesar.: The same goes with the Federation/Vulcans. I am glad we have different characters with different ideologies/behaviours. It's time we drop this Planet of Hats trope.
Discovery made Klingons more two dimensional then they ever were. Even TOS portrayed it's "villain" races with more nuance. And we already had different factions within Federation or Vulcans before. Do Maquis ring any bells? A lot of Enterprise's best episodes were about such internal struggles, like Terra Prime and the three part Vulcans story in season 4.
Caesar.: The same goes with the Federation/Vulcans. I am glad we have different characters with different ideologies/behaviours. It's time we drop this Planet of Hats trope.
Breja: Discovery made Klingons more two dimensional then they ever were. Even TOS portrayed it's "villain" races with more nuance. And we already had different factions within Federation or Vulcans before. Do Maquis ring any bells? A lot of Enterprise's best episodes were about such internal struggles, like Terra Prime and the three part Vulcans story in season 4.
Maybe I should have said "Starfleet" instead of "Federation". Everybody who gets on a spaceship is a poster boy for their ideology. The only "disident" I can think of was Ro Laren, but unfortunately at the time Michele Forbes wasn't interested in doing weekly television.

I wish they had gone farther with the Maquis, especially in Voyager, where half the crew was Maquis but assimilated into Starfleet in one episode. After that they only had one story about the friction between Maquis and Starfleet, and I think it was an alternate timeline episode.

I will disagree about the Klingons. I am glad some of them talk about anything other than their House's honor. I assume those that are not in the T'kuvma personality cult are still like this. Although I read once than in TOS Klingons were totally different personality-wise (I couldn't tell).
Caesar.: Maybe I should have said "Starfleet" instead of "Federation". Everybody who gets on a spaceship is a poster boy for their ideology. The only "disident" I can think of was Ro Laren, but unfortunately at the time Michele Forbes wasn't interested in doing weekly television.
Come on. We had an actual military coup in DS9 by starfleet officers. We had Section 31 in DS9 and Ent, and starfleet personel working for them. And while Voy might not have given Maquis their due DS9 sure did with many different defectors like Thomas Riker or Michael Eddington. And Voy gave us captain Ransom and the Equinox. Hell, even in TOS we've seen a starfleet captain who went against everything starfleet stands for in the much maligned Omega Glory (which for that very reason I think is unfairly hated so much) or the tragic Garth of Izar who went mad and genocidal.

Caesar.: I will disagree about the Klingons. I am glad some of them talk about anything other than their House's honor. I assume those that are not in the T'kuvma personality cult are still like this. Although I read once than in TOS Klingons were totally different personality-wise (I couldn't tell).
Seriously? Now they are just two-dimensional villains, and downright cartoonish too. They rape prisoners and eat their enemies bodies. Even TOS was more level headed about portraying them as actual people and not just evil incarnate.

And later on they were given much more than that. Sure they talk a lot about honor, but at least out of all that talking a coherent culture emerged, one there is no trace of in Discovery. And always many Klingons saw their honor and duty in many different ways. It was always interesting to see Worf's idealised view of the Klingons (since he was raised away from them and learned about his culture from history books, legends and so on) clash with the real thing. Like someone who only knows Arthurian legends landing in the real middle ages. Enterprise even explored (not enough for my satisfaction, but still) how Klingon society became so militaristic and aggressive by the time of TOS, that it used to be different and now new, more extreme ideology was pushing aside people like scientists and teachers who used to be held in high honor. We get no hint of any other side to Klingons than cruel villains in Discovery.
Post edited October 24, 2017 by Breja
I just wish one of those disidents was a regular member of the cast, or at least a big recurring. As much as I love TNG and DS9, in the end they all were a big happy family. The biggest internal conflict they had, in years, was Barclay's inapropriate holodeck program.

And yes, seriously, I like the new Klingons. The caricature for me were the "blah blah my honor" ones. But like I said, I suppose they still exist... I am just glad now there are some that are different. And the difference they have chosen is extremism and nationalism, which happens to be a big problem in nowadays' society.