It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Forced diversity nonsense.
I was actually irritated by this episode more than the first two. Whereas in the first two episodes I went "OK, this isn't Star Trek" but then still appreciated them for what they were doing, this time around it was the first time where I was just getting bothered by what was going on.

The whole time I was watching this episode I was thinking "wtf is this Starfleet". Honestly that ship is sick. The whole thing is so far removed from how Starfleet should be. I know they've been at war for six months but that ship is just like some fucking space dystopia shit. None of them behaved even remotely like you would expect from Starfleet.

I find it kind of funny that they gave what's his name a Kraken. Pretty obvious he's going to be a big bad.

Did you guys ever seen a black badge? O snap
johnnygoging: The whole time I was watching this episode I was thinking "wtf is this Starfleet". Honestly that ship is sick. The whole thing is so far removed from how Starfleet should be.
I agree, and it bothers me too. Though, for what it's worth as a justification, I think the theory that we're dealing with Section 31 rather than "proper" Starfleet might be correct. Even the ships number, NCC 1031 seems to support that. I've also seen an interesting, though far less likely, theory that Captain Lorca is in fact the future Garth of Isar.

Anyway, yeah - it still doesn't feel like Trek, there's plenty of terribly stupid shit, and the redhead roommate is just about the most annoying character I've ever seen, leaving Wesley Crusher and Jar Jar Binks in the dust. The reasons I'm actually a little more postive about this episode than the first two despite all that are stronger character work, especially between Burnham and Saru, Jason Isaacs is always great, and despite all the weaknesses of the script and un-treky feel of it, at least it was more about having some plot, however poor, and characters than just showing off the big budget and fighting. And we were also spared, at least for now, more painfull scenes with the retarded Klingons.

It still sucks. It just sucked slightly less in some aspects.
I think the third episode was OK. The main story was bland (monster on a stranded spaceship - there's an episode like that per every Doctor Who season), but I like the new characters that were introduced (particularly Captain Lorca) and the new plot points. I love how the different characters react to the presence of the first mutineer in Starfleet history (it reminded me of Farscape and the way the crew treated newly arrived characters).

Obviously they cannot succeed with the new superfast way of travelling, because it's a prequel and all that... Or can they? My predictiom is that they will be able to master this net of thingies and it will be kept a secret, even from the rest of the Federation, so their enemies won't know that they possess this technology.
Caesar.: I love how the different characters react to the presence of the first mutineer in Starfleet history
It made no sense to me how they blame her for the war. Sure, she did mutinee... but it was also just about the most incompetent and inefectual mutinee in history. It did not influence anything, certainly did not start the war.

Caesar.: Obviously they cannot succeed with the new superfast way of travelling, because it's a prequel and all that... Or can they?
Considering how this show has abandoned all continuity pretty much from the get go, everything is possible. We may very well end the first season with a Federation-Ferengi alliance developing transwarp together and going off to fight the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant.
Caesar.: I love how the different characters react to the presence of the first mutineer in Starfleet history
Breja: It made no sense to me how they blame her for the war. Sure, she did mutinee... but it was also just about the most incompetent and inefectual mutinee in history. It did not influence anything, certainly did not start the war.
But I'd expect people to react emotionally, not logically. That's why I mentioned Farscape. Every time a cast member left and a new character join the crew, instead of the usual happy friendship fest from most scifi shows, the other characters gave them hell, even if they weren't involved in the departure of their friend. Friendship and trust took months, even years, to build. Now introduce a traitor... and the distrust and blaming can grow x1000.
Post edited October 07, 2017 by Caesar.
low rated
Breja: It made no sense to me how they blame her for the war. Sure, she did mutinee... but it was also just about the most incompetent and inefectual mutinee in history. It did not influence anything, certainly did not start the war.
Actually, she kinda did start the war by suggesting to investigate the anomaly (and going there) insead just leave as captain was going to initially. Of cause this has nothing to do with mutity, but most part of the story doesn't make sense anyway.

As for the third episode it was rather decent, comparing to the pilot two parter. And I actually havent notice any specially bad behaviour on the ship.
I have a question for anyone who has been following the announcements about the development of Discovery: is this show still supposed to be an anthology, with a different storyline and/or cast each season? Or was that idea scrapped at some point?
Caesar.: I have a question for anyone who has been following the announcements about the development of Discovery: is this show still supposed to be an anthology, with a different storyline and/or cast each season? Or was that idea scrapped at some point?
I'm pretty sure it's been scrapped, if it even ever was really the plan. I'm not sure if it ever was more than a rumor or just an idea from very early on. I could be mistaken, the development was quite the mess and not easy to keep track of. In fact, it was probably more interesting than the actual show so far :P

Oh, and by the way - here's Alex Kurztman being a moron.
Post edited October 08, 2017 by Breja
Breja: I'm pretty sure it's been scrapped, if it even ever was really the plan. I'm not sure if it ever was more than a rumor or just an idea from very early on.
Thanks. Actually I prefer the traditional story format (because one season is just too short for character development), but I was starting to develop a theory about the new and mysterious superfast travel method that kinda only made sense if the show was to be an anthology. So no idea what to expect now! I guess I'll just have to wait for this week's new episode.
Breja: I'm pretty sure it's been scrapped, if it even ever was really the plan. I'm not sure if it ever was more than a rumor or just an idea from very early on.
Caesar.: Thanks. Actually I prefer the traditional story format (because one season is just too short for character development)
That depends - short mini-series like format with closed story arcs would have the advantage of preventing what often hapens to tv shows - completely falling apart after dragging out the story across to many seasons.

But the whole anthology thing never seemed practical to me for one simple reason - budget. Having to design new ships, build new sets, make new costumes and props etc. for evey season would inflate the budget to the point where I don't think it could possibly be profitable.
Fuck this show. Fuck. This. Show.

I could barely watch this episode, because early on it gets so impossibly stupid. Sersiously - T'Kuvma's ship has been adrift at the place of the initial battle all this time?! For six months?? What in the fuck?! Are you seriously telling me That Starfleet didn't send ships to capture the only Klingon ship with cloaking technology, now disabled and defensless? That other Klingons didn't help them repair right after the battle? They are fighting this war because of T'Kuvma, but they just left his ship and crew there for six months?! None of this makes any sense! I can't think of the last time I was this pissed off by a movie or a tv show. It literally gave me a headache. I don't know if I can keep watching this shit, "Star Trek" or not.

Is it even worth adressing the rest of this episode? The death of the stupidest security chief in Starfleet history? Who didn't even wait to see it the incredibly dangerous monster we know to be immune to phasers was actually sedated before letting it out, despite being told that it's unknown if the sedation will work? Or how every scene with the "Klingons" is painfully boring to the point of almost inducing coma? Because it surely isn't worth pointing out again and again how they act nothing like Klingons in any way.

This show is stupid beyong belief, the characters are unlikeable morons, the mood is permanently dark, oppresive and morose, and the whole thing is just plain boring. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the The Phantom Menace was a better prequel.
I might catch the series at some point, but it doesn't seem promising.

Some fun reviews for it though.

Jeff Holiday doesn't seem to care for it much.
Dissecting Discovery - Why the New Star Trek SUCKS
https://youtu.be/aF3CWiDpYHw

Whereas, Mike and Rich from Red Letter Media didn't seem to hate it. Was surprised.
Star Trek Discovery (Pilot Episodes) - re:View
https://youtu.be/2RVf01en-YA
Breja: Is it even worth adressing the rest of this episode?
You forgot about the magic shroom drive and giant tardy bear super computer. Did children write these episodes? I expected more from ST II and VI writer Nicholas Meyer.
Post edited October 10, 2017 by BenKii
Breja: Is it even worth adressing the rest of this episode?
BenKii: You forgot about the magic shroom drive and giant tardy bear super computer. Did children write these episodes? I expected more from ST II and VI writer Nicholas Meyer.
I'm pretty sure Meyer's involvment has been minimal at best since Bryan Fuller left the project.

And yeah, there's a lot I didn't even mention, like Lorca's idea that the best way to motivate the crew is to have them shaken up by listening to disturbing audio logs instead of having them calm, rational and foused on the work. And the the whole shroom drive... it's basically the infinite improbability drive from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I'm not even kidding. When the engineer describes how it works and what the problems with it are, that's literally how it sounded to me. I just gave up when I saw the saucer section spinning like a roulette table, and then the ship spinning vertically. Duck Dodgers looked less cartoonish. I guess yeah - shrooms. Shrooms probably account for the entirety of this show.
Post edited October 10, 2017 by Breja