It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

UPDATE: We're highlighting some of the most interesting questions and answers from the Q&A! Read up.

Scott Tykoski (AKA ScottTykoski, Mad Scientist) and Patrick Shaw (AKA pshaw01, Stardock Dev) joined us in the forums for a chat about game development, the life on the "set" of Sorcerer King, and everything gaming. Not only did they answer many interesting questions, but even shared [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/sorcerer_king_developer_qa_9396d/post33]art!

rodzajowo: What inspired you to make the game, and what were the inspirations during production?

Scott: So when we put out 'Fallen Enchantress', one of the systems we introduced were random 'Wildlands' - parts of the world with their own backstory, enemy loadout, and possible boss creature. What we saw in several reviews were that some players were enjoying this part of the game more than the core 4x diplomacy systems. This planted the seed of an idea that eventually became SK - a 4x where it's 100% you vs. the world (more exploration and extermination, less expansion and exploitation). We also really liked the idea of a 4x that built to a crescendo, and a final boss battle against your main antagonist works with the lore, gameplay, and prevents the traditional 'slog' that many 4x matches devolve into.

Lodium: What did you guys used to play back in the day before you went and became game devs?

Patrick: I started working 17 years ago so my list is pretty old. :) I played a lot of Mario, Zelda, and Phantasy Star on the consoles. For the PC, I owned an Atari ST during the 80's and a Mac in the 90's My favorites from back then were Dungeon Master, Alternate Reality, Sim City, and Arena (the first elder scrolls game).

Scott: I grew up a console kid, so my top games were probably Final Fantasy II (4), Super Mario 3, and the original Legend of Zelda. Oh, and I loved Civ1, but mostly to explore and build up my empire. I always lost. At some point I'd be looking for new continents in my canoes when Abe Lincoln would take me out with his bombers. Always had fun though...which is actually one of my favorite parts of SK. From my experience, it's a game where you enjoy even you lose.

justMaku: What has kept you guys in the industry for so long?

Scott: The coolest part about making games is that there's always something new to master. I've worked at Stardock since I was 20, and in that time I've probably done 30 different jobs at various times (AI coding, UI code, gameplay code, animation, concept art, modeling, texture, gameplay design, booth babe, etc.). Never a dull moment :)

Lodium: What do you think about the indie scene and where do you think the industry migth be heading the next few years?

Scott: I'm a HUGE fan of the indie scene, but I worry it's not reaching it's potential. When that fire was lit with Braid, Super Meat Boy, the Behemoth games, etc., it felt like we'd finally see all these new untapped ideas brought into fruition. If the AAA guys couldn't do something, here were devs that COULD do it. Unfortunately a lot of the games coming out from the small teams are still playing it safe (rehashes of gameplay we've all experienced). Of course for every 100 re-skinned SHUMPs, you have something fresh, so I guess that's a pretty good ratio :) I just wish those diamonds had more room to breathe.

DevildogFF: What can we expect next for Sorcerer King?

Scott: We have a binder filled with feedback and future design ideas for the game, and I've been promised I'd get to work on it this year, but that's about all I can say ;)

Read the full thread below to get all the Sorcerer King content or even pop in with your own question and stay on the lookout for future Q&As!

ORIGINAL POST: Have questions that only game developers can answer? Join the team behind Sorcerer King™ for a special Q&A session!

Two guys from Stardock who worked hard on Sorcerer King™ and other brilliant titles from the development studio, are ready to answer all your questions today at 6-8pm GMT.

Before we go on, here’s a few words about our two guests and their involvement with Stardock games to give you a head-start on questions:

Patrick Shaw -- Producer -- Pshaw01

-- 17 years in the gaming industry
-- Has worked on The Sims, the Star Wars series, and military simulations
-- Now producing Stardock’s Galactic Civilizations, Elemental, and The Political Machine series.

Scott Tykoski -- Mad Scientist -- ScottTykoski

-- 15 years with Stardock
-- Worked on design, gameplay code, spell effects and 2D art for Sorcerer King
-- Has worked on just about everything - from Lightweight Ninja (back in his intern days)
-- Now working on Ashes of the Singularity and The Political Machine 2016

Here are some ground rules to help us get the most out of the 2 hours we have with these awesome gentlemen:

-- Not all questions might get answered during the Q&A.
-- Be nice! No abuse, harassment, name-calling and the like.
-- Don’t spam or take over the thread to go off-topic.
-- Try to not repeat questions. Look through the last few before asking your own.

Comment in the thread below to ask all about their life in game development, their work on Sorcerer King, and whatever else strikes your fancy. Let’s get this show on the road!
ScottTykoski:
Some stuff for the core Kingdom units.

You guys will have to tell me when to stop :) Like I said, I love concept art a lot...perhaps too much. :S
Thanks for the share.
Sorry for not thanking earlier.
Got a sudden urge to play civ 1 since you guys were talking about it.
Sadly i cant get my cd copy to work so i had to dig up the web based version free civ
This may put me in the minority but Galactic Civilizations 3 hasn't been half as fun as I had hoped, while Sorcerer King surprised me with how much fun it is. I am glad to hear there will be more features added because I think it could easily become one of Stardock's best games with a bit more fleshing out.

I have a question about what you intend to do with the sovereigns. When you add the feature that allows us to play as the other factions, will it be possible for the sovereigns also to be of a different race?

Thanks
op2016: Hello, I would like to ask the Devs if there will be a potential Linux or Mac version or is their primary platform the Windows OS? Do they test their games with Wine?
pshaw01: At the moment, Windows is our primary platform.

We don't specifically test our games in Wine.
Thank you for your reply.
GOG.com: Have questions that only game developers can answer? Join the team behind Sorcerer King™ for a special Q&A session!

Two guys from Stardock who worked hard on Sorcerer King™ and other brilliant titles from the development studio, are ready to answer all your questions today at 6-8pm GMT.

Before we go on, here’s a few words about our two guests and their involvement with Stardock games to give you a head-start on questions:

Patrick Shaw -- Producer -- Pshaw01

-- 17 years in the gaming industry
-- Has worked on The Sims, the Star Wars series, and military simulations
-- Now producing Stardock’s Galactic Civilizations, Elemental, and The Political Machine series.

Scott Tykoski -- Mad Scientist -- ScottTykoski

-- 15 years with Stardock
-- Worked on design, gameplay code, spell effects and 2D art for Sorcerer King
-- Has worked on just about everything - from Lightweight Ninja (back in his intern days)
-- Now working on Ashes of the Singularity and The Political Machine 2016

Here are some ground rules to help us get the most out of the 2 hours we have with these awesome gentlemen:

Not all questions might get answered during the Q&A.
Be nice! No abuse, harassment, name-calling and the like.
Don’t spam or take over the thread to go off-topic.
Try to not repeat questions. Look through the last few before asking your own.

Comment in the thread below to ask all about their life in game development, their work on Sorcerer King, and whatever else strikes your fancy. Let’s get this show on the road!
Well hell, I wish I would have seen this post earlier but I was busy.. playing Sorcerer King ironically.
ScottTykoski:

You guys will have to tell me when to stop :) Like I said, I love concept art a lot...perhaps too much. :S
Excellent, I love concept art. GOG should bundle this in a zip as a bonus for download with the game. With your permission of course.
ScottTykoski:

Lodium: Thanks for the share.
Sorry for not thanking earlier.
Got a sudden urge to play civ 1 since you guys were talking about it.
Sadly i cant get my cd copy to work so i had to dig up the web based version free civ
Hmm, tempted to play that too. Example of a game that didn't rely on graphics but on game play hence it still is a worthwhile play. Also one of the first games I got into, highschool lunch times in the computer lab, and in class when the teacher was not looking :)

-- might play that now while I wait for Sorcerer King to download
Post edited January 16, 2016 by deonast
pshaw01: Hey folks,
Thanks everyone for the enjoyable chat! Scott and I are off but if you have more questions about Sorcerer King or Stardock we'll get back to them at a later time. Have a great weekend.

Patrick
Thanks for your time too.

What made you give up on the marrying and having children feature in FE?

If I join the upcoming Star Control as a founder, will I be able to get GoG key or should I wait for it to come to gog to be sure I need not pay twice?
I heard that you removed all the options for customization of units and heroes. What made you decide to remove that? I own all the other games, loved em and this lack of feature is the main reason I have not purchased SK. Any plans to add it in?
When are you going to implement standard full hd (1920x1080) windowed option in your games. At the moment its only possible to run your games in boxed version only with lower resolution which kind of doesn't work good for widescreen monitors.
Post edited January 16, 2016 by Matruchus
Good morning dev team its a early one here(thanks to work). Id like to say i was a long time fan since the first galactic civilization. I use to wait happily for updates on stardock. My favorite games where galactic civilization one and two and sins(although i haven't played the latest expansions due to my confusion on the labeling).
I was one of the brave beta testers of war of magic. And honestly it left a bad taste in my mouth. In many way you taught me the lessons of early access a long time before it was adopted by steam. And the truth is games rarely ever come out like they where first truly envisioned. In hindsight looking back i probably judged the game to harshly and i never ever touched stardocks app again(i think it called impulse now).
1 How did early access go this time.
2 Whats your favorite feature in the game
3 Did dungeons make it in this time lol.
4 Is this just war of of magic 3.5(because i noticed you do tend re-release games every couple of years with a new big patch). I Probably posted this to late sorry.
Where can we read the chat?
Craig234: Where can we read the chat?
The QA didn't take place in chat or livestream or anything; this thread was it.
Is this thread still alive?
Just in case, just want to say thanks for the game!
I enjoy it a lot.