It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wires and claws won't break my bones...

SOMA, the sensational adventure of unsettling technohorror riding on an undercurrent of existential questions, just received a free update dubbed Safe Mode.

By activating this optional mode, you'll be free to explore every underwater spook and cranny without worrying about suffering the curious cat's fate. Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters. Even if their interactions with you can no longer prove fatal, they'll make sure you're plenty uncomfortable and that the game's threatening atmosphere remains a big part of the experience.

But if you've been dreading your encounters with their Game Over-inducing claws, now is the time to come out from under the bed and give this horror gem a try.
We promise it won't bite. Much.

See what the update is all about.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by maladr0Id
muntdefems: Luckily Duke Amiel Du H'ardcore is taking a break, otherwise he'd find some worthy material in this thread. :P
JudasIscariot: I see you too are a human of culture :P
Indeed I am, Royston. Now feeeeeetch me some fiiiiiiiilthy noobs so I can pwn them!
Interesting to update the game so long after release and with this kind of change. For me though it's honestly irrelevant. I thought how "death" was handled in this game was wierd and if you happened to "die" it didn't even seem like you died, just moved around for some odd reason.

CharlesGrey: ... lel

I can see how people would create mods for this sort of thing, but it's weird to see it as an official feature.
fronzelneekburm: I had mixed feelings about SOMA when I first played it. Truth be told, it was the first time I wished they had made this a straightforward walking simulator, since the majority of monster encounters seemed to detract from the overall experience. It felt like Frictional fell into a trapping where they have to repeat themselves in order to be successful. As if having SOMA be a low-key underwater version of "Silent Running" wasn't good enough, so they had to add horror stuff, so their fanbase isn't disappointed.

And then one day, I came across a mod that removed the monsters. Playing that changed my mind completely. The whole experience felt incredibly neutered. I would still remove the disco bulb in the submarine... that was just ridiculous.
I feel that the problem is that the monsters themselves are fine, but how these sections play out are not. They add tension and a change of pace, but to me it was just annoying. I've never been a fan of "scary" games where you just run away from monsters (because I find it really uninteresting), but at least they're sort of stealth games.
In Soma however you're not even supposed to look at the monsters, which frankly just makes it more boring and annoying to me since you end up just sitting and waiting for an extended period of time until you think the monster is far away enough. I frankly didn't even finish Soma because I got too annoyed and bored.

Devs really need to take another look at how they design monster encounters if they want "scary" games where you're supposed to run away from monsters. Because with how it's currently done I'd rather just play a walking sim. But that also touches on another problem and that's the walking sim aspect, which I also think needs to evolve.
high rated
This is great news, thank you for this! If even one person buys SOMA because of this option, then it was worth adding it.

I'm baffled by people mocking this option. How does it spoil your enjoyment of the game? I'd rather have proper, Cuphead level of difficult games, that I can enjoy, with an added braindead easy option, than a forgettably mediocre game, just to cater to the average player.
high rated
JudasIscariot: I see you too are a human of culture :P
muntdefems: Indeed I am, Royston. Now feeeeeetch me some fiiiiiiiilthy noobs so I can pwn them!
You know what? I came to the comments specifically to see how long it would take for some people to be unhappy at the fact that more options have been added.

It only took 4 comments, my popcorn wasn't even out of the microwave, sheesh...
UhuruNUru: I just don't get it, if you don't want to be scared, why the hell would you even think of playing a scary game.
As a mod already existed, what's even the point of this patch.

When I saw an update for SOMA, I hoped for new content, or at the very least some bug fixes.
It's not so much that the devs have added a mod to the base game, it's that that's all they've done.

CDPR made half my mod list obsolete, with every Patch, but that was as well on top of their own changes, not instead of them.

Plus what's with the "FREE" update label. Updates are always fixes for problems. and bugs, and also called a patch.
"Sold Updates", are called DLC. So no need for a free label, just update, or patch is fine.
Nothing but this listed in change log, so not wasting any time updating it.
Based on what the devs said, they tried to make it feel more like a part of the game, rather than feeling like a 'retrofit' like the mod does. I don't think GOG's description explains it fully.
CharlesGrey: ... lel

I can see how people would create mods for this sort of thing, but it's weird to see it as an official feature.

Could someone please mod all of the gaps and pitfalls out of Super Mario? Those are scary and pretty dangerous. Also, all racing games should officially feature a bicycle mode. Cars are so noisy and bad for the environment.
Well Nintendo certainly took out the limited lives that the early games had, so you no longer need to start from the beginning of the game if you lose much. Some out there would argue that took away from the experience as there's much less tension and risk.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by Green_Shade
Getting chased by monsters definitely got boring by the end of the game, but I think this would just remove the tension. What the game really wanted imo was to be rebalanced, so that being chased by a monster trying to kill you felt like a big, terrifying event instead of another Tuesday--if nothing else, reduce the number of encounters.

Still, I appreciate that they are offering this for those that want it.
CharlesGrey: Terribly sorry about your spilt coffee, but sometimes drinks have to be sacrificed for the greater good. ( Some serious lulz. )

I'm all for people being able to play games any way they like, but that's why mods exist. It's just strange to see the devs officially embrace such a major ( game-breaking? ) change. Especially in this particular Horror game where the pacing and gameplay is actually pretty damned good! Now, Outlast or Amnesia, those could use some gameplay improvements...

And how can SOMA still be "scary" if the creatures no longer pose a threat to the player? Do they just stand there and stare at you? Do they still try to hit you, while you have your god-mode on? ( I once encountered a bug in Amnesia, where one of the monsters got stuck on background objects and just stood there, unable to reach or attack me. I can tell you, that wasn't particularly scary. )
Yeah, I would only be effected by jump scares rather than dread as even now I'm in constant crouch-mode...Though the great strategy I like to use is to simply play out scripted events by running mad-cap into every room so I can note their existence for future reference if the tension gets to be too much!...Although that would not work at ALL for alien isolation!

CharlesGrey: I hope they at least replaced the original attacks of the monsters with something more suitable for this new game mode. They could walk up to you and hug you. A very fierce and scary hug, of course. ( But not too scary. ) Or they could approach you with some pamphlets, and offer to discuss God and the afterlife with you...
*Swig...swallow "whew that was close...BWAHAHAA! ;) No, but I would pay to see that in this game, as that would be truly hilariously silly, and by silly I mean Monty Python silly, not SNL silly!
low rated
So baby stealth is the only gameplay SOMA has, and now it's been removed to cater to people with no thumbs? Or is it the surprisingly large demographic of people that think enemies in horror games are real and are attacking them in real life? Either way, deleting pieces of the game so that games journalists and streamers can actually finish it really shouldn't become a trend.

Yes, that section 3/4ths into the game is tedious. It's padding before the ending. It's also part of the game's identity, and a good example to look back on later as to why this genre is too simple to be enjoyable at length, but cutting chunks out of it later isn't a solution.
Frankly, I never found the monster parts to be particularly difficult (even though I might have died a time or two), and without that kind of tension an essential part of the game's atmosphere would go missing. I really don't get this trend of people needing to be coddled, these days. Not every game is for everyone. Deal with it.

Also, those who are calling SOMA a walking simulator clearly don't know what they're talking about. It certainly isn't one of those "experiences."
Post edited December 01, 2017 by Mr.Mumbles
high rated
Bonsewswesa: So baby stealth is the only gameplay SOMA has, and now it's been removed to cater to people with no thumbs? Or is it the surprisingly large demographic of people that think enemies in horror games are real and are attacking them in real life? Either way, deleting pieces of the game so that games journalists and streamers can actually finish it really shouldn't become a trend.

Yes, that section 3/4ths into the game is tedious. It's padding before the ending. It's also part of the game's identity, and a good example to look back on later as to why this genre is too simple to be enjoyable at length, but cutting chunks out of it later isn't a solution.
Calm down, nothing has been removed It's an optional mode. Don't want it, don't use it. No harm done.

Mr.Mumbles: Frankly, I never found the monster parts to be particularly difficult (even though I might have died a time or two), and without that kind of tension an essential part of the game's atmosphere would go missing. I really don't get this trend of people needing to be coddled, these days. Not every game is for everyone. Deal with it.
But if an appeal of a game can be broadend with something totally optional, why not do it? I'm sorry, but I really don't like this "hurr durr for hardcore manly gamers only" mentality. As if the very fact that people not so "hardcore" as you will be able to enjoy the game took away from your enjoyment of it. I guess I should be angry there are walkthroughs for Day of the Tentacle available, because I didn't need one dammit!
Post edited December 01, 2017 by Breja
I thought I had this game wishlisted, but I had it confused with Stasis.
Edit: Remember the people complaining when Bayonetta had an auto ass kicking button mode? Me neither.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by pmcollectorboy
Mr.Mumbles: Also, those who are calling SOMA a walking simulator clearly don't know what they're talking about. It certainly isn't one of those "experiences."
Well, if you take away the horror elements, it is. I agree that it is quite ridiculous to remove the horror from a horror game (like removing the shooting from a first person shooter) ... but what's left after that is a walking simulator and for some reason there is a market for those. So why not? It's not the same game anymore, sure, but it's easy money for the dev. And that's the point of this update. The hope of selling the game to a different target audience with minimal effort.
Zoidberg: Never mind that mode, the base game is awesome, spooks and all!

GO PLAY IT!
Magmarock: It is but some people find it too scary to enjoy. I'm one of them
I'm with you. :D

I'll try to resist, but I'm glad to have this option... just in case. :)
low rated
I'm a special snowflake and want all of my games library to feature an instant gratification button that takes me to the ending.
I realize it's [current year] but perhaps dev's can grow a pair & cease to appeal to the lowest common fucking denominator for one nanosecond, and instead concentrate fully on their next project, yeah?

That being said, if someone here felt the need for the inclusion of baby-mode, fine, it is optional after all. Just know that this quite possibly means you aren't the target audience for these types of mature games.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by -cerberus-
Not really necessary. I think I only died a handful of times. Usually because I didn't realize something was hostile. Most of the things trying to kill you in this game, they make very clear you should RUN (or at least hide). And they typically give you enough time to do it. And getting hit usually results in you blacking out rather than outright instantly dying (which actually might be scarier, remember those horror games that tried to make you think your pause button was broken?). It's a very well thought out, well balanced, and well tested game (for example you always feel like the world is big enough that you could get lost, but you never do). I know from reading their blog that the developers at Frictional put a lot of thought into how to horrify the player while also making sure they encounter the minimum number of game over screens. I guess for some people reducing the number of game over screens to zero could result in a more immersive experience.