It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wires and claws won't break my bones...

SOMA, the sensational adventure of unsettling technohorror riding on an undercurrent of existential questions, just received a free update dubbed Safe Mode.

By activating this optional mode, you'll be free to explore every underwater spook and cranny without worrying about suffering the curious cat's fate. Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters. Even if their interactions with you can no longer prove fatal, they'll make sure you're plenty uncomfortable and that the game's threatening atmosphere remains a big part of the experience.

But if you've been dreading your encounters with their Game Over-inducing claws, now is the time to come out from under the bed and give this horror gem a try.
We promise it won't bite. Much.

See what the update is all about.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by maladr0Id
high rated
Enebias: Still, to be sincere, I really cannot understand how anyone could enjoy a risk-free horror game. Isn't it an oxymoron?
I don't care as long as the experience remains the original for me, so no problems here, but no matter how hard I try I don't get the meaning of this. Removing the thrill from a thriller, bah.
LittleCritter: Because people like me were not drawn to Soma for the horror gameplay but for the story & setting. The gameplay was in fact the very reason i didn't want to play Soma up to this point.

Personally not fan of steatlh or FPS vision either, i usually stay as far away as possible from that sort of thing. But if there's at least no looming threat of game over screens jumping at you, i can relax and just focus on the narrative.
Ditto. I agree with this completely. There's nothing more boring to me than needless repetition. By about the tenth or fifteenth time I've died and had to start over again, I'm frustrated and bored and moved on to something more enjoyable. Which is not to say that dying in the game is a bad thing per se. You can die in Tex Murphy and Gabriel Knight and Phantasmagoria for example, but it is not random and usually adds to the story. Even Leisure Suit Larry and SpaceQuest have death sequences, but there it is done in the name of humor. But any game (such as an FPS) where avoiding repetitive dying is the POINT of the game, rather than a plot device? I don't find that to be any fun at all. So I avoid such games like plague.
jester59388: Ditto. I agree with this completely. There's nothing more boring to me than needless repetition. By about the tenth or fifteenth time I've died and had to start over again, I'm frustrated and bored and moved on to something more enjoyable.
Yes! This! So much this.

In reality the only difference between hard & easy mode tends to be time investment. How many times you're forced to go through the same stages or fight the same bosses until you memorized every single pattern. If a game offers me an easy option, then 9 out of 10 times i will choose easy mode simply because it will minimize the amount of time and frustration i have to spend on that game.

That said, I don't neceasarily shy away from an intentionally "hard" game. I played Hollow Knight and Divinty all the way through because the battles didn't feel like a chore, they felt like a riddle to be solved. I find that the best kind of challenge a videogame can offer me is by making every encounter a puzzle in itself. It's encouraging me to keep going, dying wasn't that big a deal as it gave me a chance to try a different approach in strategy next time. That kind of game design makes me actively seek out the challenge rather than dread every new enemy.

Just hiding from a monster though? That is not a puzzle. It's a mind numbing test of patience. And unfortunately most horror games boil down to having the puzzle solving and the thrill compelely seperate from each other. You're getting stressed from the lurking death behind your back while trying to read scattered notes or figure out how to open a door or whatever. That's an unpleasant kind of stress. The kind of like you're working on an important paper and some obnoxious jerk is kicking your chair kind of stress.
I have absolutely no opinion on this. I have the game but I haven't played it yet. I guess I should play the Penumbra and Amnesia games first anyway.

But before all that, play and finish all the Silent Hill games I have.
high rated
I don't get what y'all are so upset about. It's literally just an option. DOOM had an easy mode. Did anybody complain about that? The Resident Evil games? Bioshock? Guitar Hero? Are we going to start hating on people who use cheat codes and walkthroughs, too? If you don't want to use it, don't use it. But why hate on the people who do? Like, I could understand some harmless ribbing, but you guys seem legit serious on this. What's the point? Are you THAT desperate to sound like you're tougher than everybody else because you were able to...beat a video game? Seriously? What, are you all afraid that somehow, this means that the entire market is going to start forcing games to be easier? Because history has quite solidly proven otherwise. For every person who complains that games are getting too easy these days, somebody comes out with another Volgarr the Viking or another Cuphead or another Dark Souls or another [insert notoriously hard game here].
The whole point of a video game is to enjoy it. Maybe you're not very good at the game and want to play it for the story. Maybe you don't find the enemies fun and think they're just annoying. Maybe you're not as able as most gamers and simply can't pull it off. Maybe you're playing the game after a long, stressful day and don't get many hours of free time and just want a simpler experience. Whatever the reason, why does it matter? Let people play how they want without looking down on them.

I could understand the problem if they forced the game to be dumbed-down, ok. But if you're getting upset over just giving people the OPTION, I'd honestly say you're more of a sensitive "triggered snowflake" than the people who are using it.

Here, have a picture from Shadow Warrior 2.
Attachments:
easy.png (74 Kb)
low rated
NuffCatnip: These laws you speak of and the example you name applied a few thousand years ago, we evolved and so did these laws.
The laws of nature don't "evolve". We can try to fight against them, but it is ultimately in vain.
People like Stormie here are why I wish for a block button, but the minus button works just fine.
high rated
Plus, in this case, while horror fans regard this game just as another horror game, science fiction fans see it as a great SF game with a terrific story to be unfolded, full of existential horror by itself, but marred by some hide-and-seek gameplay they never needed.

Obviously the creators wanted to appeal to a wider audience. What is surprising is why a part of it feels entitled to be the sole users of the game, and even to dictate how should it be considered and played.
Breja: Seriously, this thread is really uncomfortably revealing of how unpleasant, toxic and just pathetically childish the gaming community can be, and the people who seem to judge a persons worth by their gaming prowess and/or preferences. All you people speaking in this tone should take long, hard look at yourselves.
You're only partially right, as there's more of us than them at this point, also; self-reflection is a bane for people who are so tainted, bitter and full of hatred as to be more of a deterrent than anything else!...Just keep traveling the high road and don't consider their word as valid enough to get worked up over!

Malcontents like that are and will always be the bane of every sub-culture.
Just revisited the thread to say OH MY GOD THANK YOU. The game is already too much of nightmare fuel for me (seriously: there is a point where a monster gets you that is basically a recurrent nightmare I am still having) and I cannot imagine how much of a chore to me would have been the underwater part.
-cerberus-: I'm a special snowflake and want all of my games library to feature an instant gratification button that takes me to the ending.
I realize it's [current year] but perhaps dev's can grow a pair & cease to appeal to the lowest common fucking denominator for one nanosecond, and instead concentrate fully on their next project, yeah?

That being said, if someone here felt the need for the inclusion of baby-mode, fine, it is optional after all. Just know that this quite possibly means you aren't the target audience for these types of mature games.
Silet Hill 2 had a safe mode as well. I just wanted to remind you of that.
deleted
Post edited December 13, 2017 by Fairfox
Enebias: Well, as long as the main game remains unaltered in its awesomeness and this option is not forced, I have no qualms with it.

Still, to be sincere, I really cannot understand how anyone could enjoy a risk-free horror game. Isn't it an oxymoron?
I don't care as long as the experience remains the original for me, so no problems here, but no matter how hard I try I don't get the meaning of this. Removing the thrill from a thriller, bah.
People can enjoy horror novels and movies without risk. There are also very unsettling horror stories that rely on things like atmosphere and ideas without threatening the protagonists. Many of the concepts in SOMA are horrific, and the setting is oppressive, not tranquil.

The game can also be viewed as a serious science-fiction story dealing with issues of identity. The horror elements are consequences of the story's themes. They don't have to be the main attraction.
Lifthrasil: Exactly and in all those FPS all these enemies shooting at you are really unsettling. Can't we have a friendship mode in DOOM (and all others), where the enemies just throw flowers at you?
If you type IDDQD in the original Doom, you can walk among the monsters without getting hurt. It was built right into the game.
Post edited December 13, 2017 by wvpr
paráda spokojenost bezpečný mod je u téhle hry perfektní věc
wvpr: If you type IDDQD in the original Doom, you can walk among the monsters without getting hurt. It was built right into the game.
That was literally the case with this game if you enable the debugmode=true in the user cfg.

Playing the game recently, it would have been much better to have some kind of shove weapon to send them flying backwards. The game had a proper physics engine that was sadly underused in this game.
Lifthrasil: Exactly and in all those FPS all these enemies shooting at you are really unsettling. Can't we have a friendship mode in DOOM (and all others), where the enemies just throw flowers at you?
wvpr: If you type IDDQD in the original Doom, you can walk among the monsters without getting hurt. It was built right into the game.
Hah! Lifthrasil there almost predicted this. Or is he JP LeBreton himself teasing his next mod project? :P