It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wires and claws won't break my bones...

SOMA, the sensational adventure of unsettling technohorror riding on an undercurrent of existential questions, just received a free update dubbed Safe Mode.

By activating this optional mode, you'll be free to explore every underwater spook and cranny without worrying about suffering the curious cat's fate. Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters. Even if their interactions with you can no longer prove fatal, they'll make sure you're plenty uncomfortable and that the game's threatening atmosphere remains a big part of the experience.

But if you've been dreading your encounters with their Game Over-inducing claws, now is the time to come out from under the bed and give this horror gem a try.
We promise it won't bite. Much.

See what the update is all about.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by maladr0Id
Breja: I on the other hand was raised in a culture where diffrences are not perceived as weakness, and if someone is in fact weak or afraid you don't mock them, but stand up for them to people who do.
Stormwalker: Weakness, especially that which can be corrected through proper rearing, instruction, and self discipline, should not be celebrated, tolerated, or "stood up for". It should be reviled and mocked. No culture or group of people ever got ahead or improved their lot by holding up their weakest members. Instead they strove to make everyone strong, and that the culture as a whole benefitted.

You stand against basic laws of nature, which is why I mock you and your ilk. Whining, entitled children; you cry like babies whenever someone utters words that fly in the face of that which you hold as truth.
Just go ahead and copy paste all of Mein Kampf while you're at it :D
Post edited December 04, 2017 by Breja
low rated
Stormwalker: Weakness, especially that which can be corrected through proper rearing, instruction, and self discipline, should not be celebrated, tolerated, or "stood up for". It should be reviled and mocked. No culture or group of people ever got ahead or improved their lot by holding up their weakest members. Instead they strove to make everyone strong, and that the culture as a whole benefitted.

You stand against basic laws of nature, which is why I mock you and your ilk. Whining, entitled children; you cry like babies whenever someone utters words that fly in the face of that which you hold as truth.
Breja: Just go ahead and copy paste all of Mein Kampf while you're at it :D
Sure, bro. And while you're at it, go ahead and copy and paste all of "Rules for Radicals" by Saul Alinsky. :D
This moved from plain ordinary internet level sad to downright pathetic.
Any wagers on how long it'll take before we start hearing about eugenics?
Post edited December 04, 2017 by pmcollectorboy
low rated
muntdefems: Luckily Duke Amiel Du H'ardcore is taking a break, otherwise he'd find some worthy material in this thread. :P
JudasIscariot: I see you too are a human of culture :P
That's the type of comment that would encourage users to look elsewhere to acquire their games.
The rep system looking like it's being gamed in these PR threads is also a problem.

What people should really be complaining about is widespread ignorance about debug modes,trainers and fun cheats from the PC gaming untermench
Throughout the twentieth century there have been constant reinterpretations of the Nietzsche’s philosophy. While his sister was the first there have been countless others. One writer that adopts the Nietzschean theme is Ayn Rand in her text ‘Atlas Shrugged’. A novel that through its endorsement of the now dominant philosophy of Neo-Liberal economics has become one of the books that all aspiring politicians claim to have read. This novel demonstrates a worship of the rich and powerful and a contempt for the poor. However Ayn Rand’s failure as with all the others, was to misunderstand Nietzsche’s will to power, it was not about power. Nietzsche himself expressed doubts later about the naming of this concept. Personally I think it would have been better phrased as the will to aspire, that is the drive to fulfil human potential.

When Nietzsche introduced the concept übermensch (super or over man) he was not so much thinking of übermensch as the superman as a man of extreme physical strength but the man of superior intellect and sensitivity. His first three candidates for the role of übermensch were the artist, philosopher and Saint. Saint Francis would have been one of an übermensch as Nietzsche originally intended the term to be used. He had the vision to seen the failings of Italian society of the 13th century, he rejected the role of chivalrous knight, which was seen as the highest ideal that could be aspired amongst the rich merchant class of Assisi. He saw not knightly chivalrous’ warfare but murderous warfare between city states. St. Francis had the qualities to make him an übermensch; he had superiority and uniqueness of intellect allied and the courage to go against the norms and conventions of his age. The distancing of time negates the radicalism of St. Francis. His preaching was seen by later Pope’s as a threat to the social order. After his death the Pope had two Franciscan friars burnt, because they had condemned too forcibly the wrong doings of the rich and the powerful.

Nietzsche later dropped the Saint from his typology of supermen.

Twentieth and twenty first century writers tend ignore the influence of the thinking of Classical Greek thinkers on Nietzsche. One such Greek was the philosopher Aristotle, who wondered how can you classify ever changing beings such as man. It was obviously wrong to identify man only through his physical characteristics, as these characteristics kept changing. What was it that identified the child and the man as being the same creature? Aristotle’s answer was that it was ‘Being’, that is what they had the potential to become. The child would evolve into the intelligent thinking being that was the mature man. Nietzsche’s insight was that the potential of each man or woman was different, not all, in fact only a tiny minority were capable of achieving the full human potential. He despised the common herd of humanity that lacked the potential to achieve this highest level of being. What he saw was a society in which the rules were written to benefit the average of humanity. The poor specimens that made up the mass of humanity needed rules and regulation, as their independent thinking tended on their towards barbarism and animal like behaviours. Behaviours that needed controlling for the social good. Unfortunately for the fate of humanity these rules and regulations constrained the übermensch to such an extent that they were denied the opportunity to fulfil their potential. It is impossible to calculate the loss of society of this unfulfilled potential. How many Michelangelo’s had been confined to a life of mediocrity because of the oppressive nature of a society of mediocrities?

Nietzsche hated democracy because it enshrined the rule of the mediocre. Some of his fiercest criticisms were directed at the British, as he saw the triumph of the business orientated bourgeois as the triumph of mediocrity. He wanted a society in which the übermensch would thrive, as what could be a better society than one in which the best of humanity thrive, as opposed to one in which the worst prosper. It was his despair that caused him to make the more extreme statements that he made towards the end of his life, when he was nearing mental and emotional breakdown. He despaired that the rise of industrial civilisation was embedding in society the rule of the mediocre, that is the industrial bourgeoise.

German nationalism he despised as there could not be a superior people, only a society in which the superior were allowed to thrive. Übermensch could only be individuals not nations.

Nietzsche’s left many notes, that is notes made for book written and for those yet to be written. It from these notes that Elizabeth Forster Nietzsche could draft a philosophy of German nationalism. A philosophy of power which misused Nietzsche’s concept the will to power. What she changed it into was something akin to Chamberlain’s social Darwinism, a philosophy of competing racial types. A competition in which the Germanic Aryan racial type was best fitted to win. Other philosophies of power developed in that century, one of which was that of Ayn Rand. A philosophy of the power of wealth, a philosophy in which wealth became the criterion of human worth, or as she described it a philosophy of rational selfishness. This particular one has become extremely influential in the contemporary world.
pmcollectorboy: This moved from plain ordinary internet level sad to downright pathetic.
Look all I'm gonna say is anyone who can't beat Xcom on Classic Uber Mega You're Gonna Die Edition (tm) difficulty should just be fed to lions. I mean we wouldn't want those weaklings' DNA mucking up the gene pool if actual aliens inaveded us.
I have a strange desire to play more Wolfenstein. Kick some Nazi ass.
pmcollectorboy: I have a strange desire to play more Wolfenstein. Kick some Nazi ass.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/f54051d6ccda3c6f7d362293dacd9214/tumblr_okvnch2X8r1tduuewo1_500.jpg
pmcollectorboy: I have a strange desire to play more Wolfenstein. Kick some Nazi ass.
Wolfenstein 2009 on GOG... not yet. :(
pacciulli: Wolfenstein 2009 on GOG... not yet. :(
Sadly not. Had to resort to Steam.
But 3D, Spear, and Return are here.
pacciulli: Wolfenstein 2009 on GOG... not yet. :(
pmcollectorboy: Sadly not. Had to resort to Steam.
It's not the same feeling, but you can also try Commandos and Man of War. Plenty of Nazis to get rid of there.
Edit: And Medal of Honor Allied Assault. Not as good as Wolfie, but fun nevertheless.
Post edited December 04, 2017 by Enebias
pmcollectorboy: Sadly not. Had to resort to Steam.
Enebias: It's not the same feeling, but you can also try Commandos and Man of War. Plenty of Nazis to get rid of there.
Edit: And Medal of Honor Allied Assault. Not as good as Wolfie, but fun nevertheless.
And Bloodrayne. That's about as joyfull and wanton a slaughter of nazis as you can get.
Post edited December 04, 2017 by Breja
Aww. I have the 2D Way Forward entry.
Breja: I on the other hand was raised in a culture where diffrences are not perceived as weakness, and if someone is in fact weak or afraid you don't mock them, but stand up for them to people who do.

These laws you speak of and the example you name applied a few thousand years ago, we evolved and so did these laws.
pmcollectorboy: This moved from plain ordinary internet level sad to downright pathetic.
LittleCritter: Look all I'm gonna say is anyone who can't beat Xcom on Classic Uber Mega You're Gonna Die Edition (tm) difficulty should just be fed to lions. I mean we wouldn't want those weaklings' DNA mucking up the gene pool if actual aliens inaveded us.
I thought only Devil May Cry had a "You Gonna Die" difficulty. Nope. Never beat that one either.
LittleCritter: Look all I'm gonna say is anyone who can't beat Xcom on Classic Uber Mega You're Gonna Die Edition (tm) difficulty should just be fed to lions. I mean we wouldn't want those weaklings' DNA mucking up the gene pool if actual aliens inaveded us.
pmcollectorboy: I thought only Devil May Cry had a "You Gonna Die" difficulty. Nope. Never beat that one either.
Fighting a dozen enemies, all of them having devil trigger active, good times. :)
...I'll probably get my PS2 out of the cellar this weekend and play through DMC 3.