It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wires and claws won't break my bones...

SOMA, the sensational adventure of unsettling technohorror riding on an undercurrent of existential questions, just received a free update dubbed Safe Mode.

By activating this optional mode, you'll be free to explore every underwater spook and cranny without worrying about suffering the curious cat's fate. Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters. Even if their interactions with you can no longer prove fatal, they'll make sure you're plenty uncomfortable and that the game's threatening atmosphere remains a big part of the experience.

But if you've been dreading your encounters with their Game Over-inducing claws, now is the time to come out from under the bed and give this horror gem a try.
We promise it won't bite. Much.

See what the update is all about.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by maladr0Id
Breja: Yes, and I started calm and civil. Too bad you could not respond in kind. As for your explanations, they make no sense and have already been discussed by me before, like the ridiculous comparison to microtransactions you cling to.
Bonsewswesa: You did not start civil, filling your posts with passive-aggressive non-insults and making the exact same jab at the start of every post is not civil or calm. It really is too bad that I chose to respond with something else other than the two non-points you repeated over and over again.
... because you don't have a fitting reply to those two points. So instead of replying to those, you rather talk about something else. ... (just a guess, but seems to fit here)

Don't get me wrong. I agree that removing the horror from a horror game is quite ridicolous and seems pointless. But even more ridicolous is the way you and some others whine about it. "Oh noes! Someone is having fun in a way I don't like! Now I am soo angry! Look at me, how angry I am!" ... the only explanation for that kind of behavour can be found in babby's funny post. So perhaps you should take a moment, wipe the foam from you mouth and read your own posts in this thread. Then, maybe, you will realize how ridicoulous you made yourself look. ... And then, to calm down, just play a nice, slow walking simulator like Dear Esther! Or Soma with safe mode. ;-)
Hi, I just was walking around here and wanted to leave my paw of approval for this update. BTW, funny how lately I replayed Alone In The Dark and was having a lot of fun with it but I really cannot enter the way the Amnesia guys handle the stealth/horror/survival for some reason. Probably because I am old and not too manly.
I don't like what gaming is turning into. At all.
high rated
bouncedk: I don't like what gaming is turning into. At all.
You mean all the loot boxes and the DRM? I don't like it either. I like what the SOMA devs have done in providing more ways to play their games and giving gamers more options at no extra cost. They are selling us a game that works for the horror lovers and the adventure lovers alike. It's nice to see a developer going against the grain, continuing to add more options for free.
Well, as long as the main game remains unaltered in its awesomeness and this option is not forced, I have no qualms with it.

Still, to be sincere, I really cannot understand how anyone could enjoy a risk-free horror game. Isn't it an oxymoron?
I don't care as long as the experience remains the original for me, so no problems here, but no matter how hard I try I don't get the meaning of this. Removing the thrill from a thriller, bah.
Enebias: Still, to be sincere, I really cannot understand how anyone could enjoy a risk-free horror game. Isn't it an oxymoron?
I don't care as long as the experience remains the original for me, so no problems here, but no matter how hard I try I don't get the meaning of this. Removing the thrill from a thriller, bah.
Because people like me were not drawn to Soma for the horror gameplay but for the story & setting. The gameplay was in fact the very reason i didn't want to play Soma up to this point.

Personally not fan of steatlh or FPS vision either, i usually stay as far away as possible from that sort of thing. But if there's at least no looming threat of game over screens jumping at you, i can relax and just focus on the narrative.
high rated
I don't get all the negative comments about this update; it's an optional, additional mode, not content replaced/removed leaving everyone with one and only choice now. Nothing changes for those wanting the original experience which they can still enjoy, while those not keane on that specific element get a chance to enjoy the game in a way that suits them better; from what I've read, there's plenty of story and atmosphere to draw one in.

babby: Hello, my name is Toughy McToughguy and my fragile masculinity is inextricably bound to whether or not I can complete horror games. I, being the manly man that I am, have completed this game without any modding. This monumental achievement (which only hundreds of thousands of other people have achieved) has reaffirmed my manliness to myself. When I hear that others might be able to complete the game without the requisite manliness such as I possess, it takes something special away from me. Now I could just ignore it because it's a game I finished two years ago and I probably never intended to play it again in the foreseeable future, but this is a personal slight against my manhood.

P.S. If someone is having fun in ways I don't like, then they're not really having fun. So cut that out and stop having fun.
Cheers for this.

Enebias: [...] Removing the thrill from a thriller, bah.
Do all thrillers have the same elements and thrill-effects?
you all here sound like little girls(except for me, of course) that have the need to prove a point.

just get together, smash each others face, like real men, and get over with. ok ? okei.

but really, we all have an opinion. try to understand and respect that. ok ? oke!

now for the real question, when's the next GOG sale ? :/ my wallet is ready and crying to be used and abused. yeah, my wallet is a sadomasochist. :(
high rated
SOMA has never really been a "pure horror" game. It's more a cross-genre mix of horror / 1st-person adventure / "sci-fi walking sim" that successfully managed to mix puzzles, narrative, exploration and stealth in just the right amount so that none dominated the others. Frictional's "brand" of horror is far more the "smart" kind that understands it's impossible to maintain high tension constantly through cheap jump-scares / deaths and "piano thumps" every 30 seconds and instead focuses on slow build-up of tension / questioning your sanity / identity.

I can see why some people say taking away the stealth elements reduces tension but just as audiences of Point & Click Adventures can often be divided into two groups ("I'm here for the Story and don't mind easy puzzles" vs "I'll rate this game entirely on the Puzzles"), as someone mentioned above, some people will choose to play this purely for the sci-fi based story rather than the "horror tension". In that respect, "Safe Mode" / "Wuss Mode" is no real different to "Story Mode" in RPG's or "Easy" setting in FPS's that reduces enemy damage by 80% or hitting the AI in RTS's with a resource penalty, etc. Or the kind of gamer who doesn't like FPS shooters in general, but will happily play Bioshock for the plot / ambience (or NOLF for the humour).

Overall, there's nothing wrong with giving people the option / flexibility as long as not enabling it doesn't take anything away from those who don't want it. People need to be a little more flexible in forcing "single behavior games" as some games (and gamers) are a little more complicated than that and even the same person playing the same game can re-play it differently based on mood ("I want a serious challenge" vs "I want to relax and wind down for the evening").
Reminds me of the original System Shock with all of the difficulty sliders turned down. Not my preference to play but good to have that option.
NOW I can start it!!! :p
low rated
Breja: Your schoolyard level bullying is far more worthy of mocking. One has to be a truly pathetic, insecure ass to attack and judge people they know nothing else about over their preferred way of playing a video game. You represent the absolute worst the gaming culture has to offer.

Seriously, this thread is really uncomfortably revealing of how unpleasant, toxic and just pathetically childish the gaming community can be, and the people who seem to judge a persons worth by their gaming prowess and/or preferences. All you people speaking in this tone should take long, hard look at yourselves.
You clearly have no idea what actual bullying is, little triggered one. If you can't read someone else's post who dares have a different opinion than you or laughs about your world view without coming away feeling "bullied", you really need to harden the fuck up. Maybe spend some time in a gym, a boxing ring, or take up wrestling. Continuing to stew in this virtual hug-box you've created for yourself isn't doing you any favors. You say I represent the worst of "gaming culture", but I say you represent the worst of the human race. When impassioned, controversial speech gets labeled as bullying and becomes restricted(as you would certainly have it), that only opens the door for groupthink and fascism.

And I also noticed the hypocrisy(as others did) in your cute little response, sweetheart. You call me pathetic and insecure for my "attack", but perhaps you might look at your posting history in this thread. Hmmm...I see you doing some "attacking" as well. But of course, since you are 100% correct all of the time, it doesn't count as pathetic and insecure, right?
Post edited December 04, 2017 by Stormwalker
Oh hooray. I was starting to wonder if gamers had actually forgotten how to deploy Godwin's Law.
high rated
Stormwalker: You clearly have no idea what actual bullying is, little triggered one. If you can't read someone else's post who dares have a different opinion than you or laughs about your world view without coming away feeling "bullied", you really need to harden the fuck up.
I don't feel bullied. I'm saying you're acting like a playground bully. There's a difference. You're not intimidating anyone, toughguy. You're just being pathetic.

Stormwalker: You say I represent the worst of "gaming culture", but I say you represent the worst of the human race. When impassioned, controversial speech gets labeled as bullying and becomes restricted, that opens the door for groupthink and facism.
Yeah, no matter how you try to dress it up now, you were just being an asshole, and you got called out on it. There's nothing grander to it than that.

As for who you and I represent - you represent people who see something they perceive as weakness (for no good reason) and proceed to mock it. I on the other hand was raised in a culture where diffrences are not perceived as weakness, and if someone is in fact weak or afraid you don't mock them, but stand up for them to people who do.
Post edited December 04, 2017 by Breja
low rated
Breja: I on the other hand was raised in a culture where diffrences are not perceived as weakness, and if someone is in fact weak or afraid you don't mock them, but stand up for them to people who do.
Weakness, especially that which can be corrected through proper rearing, instruction, and self discipline, should not be celebrated, tolerated, or "stood up for". It should be reviled and mocked. No culture or group of people ever got ahead or improved their lot by holding up their weakest members. Instead they strove to make everyone strong, and that the culture as a whole benefitted.

You stand against basic laws of nature, which is why I mock you and your ilk. Whining, entitled children; you cry like babies whenever someone utters words that fly in the face of that which you hold as truth.