It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wires and claws won't break my bones...

SOMA, the sensational adventure of unsettling technohorror riding on an undercurrent of existential questions, just received a free update dubbed Safe Mode.

By activating this optional mode, you'll be free to explore every underwater spook and cranny without worrying about suffering the curious cat's fate. Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters. Even if their interactions with you can no longer prove fatal, they'll make sure you're plenty uncomfortable and that the game's threatening atmosphere remains a big part of the experience.

But if you've been dreading your encounters with their Game Over-inducing claws, now is the time to come out from under the bed and give this horror gem a try.
We promise it won't bite. Much.

See what the update is all about.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by maladr0Id
GOG.com: Wires and claws won't break my bones...

SOMA, the sensational adventure of unsettling technohorror riding on an undercurrent of existential questions, just received a free update dubbed Safe Mode.

By activating this optional mode, you'll be free to explore every underwater spook and cranny without worrying about suffering the curious cat's fate. Make no mistake, though: here there still be monsters. Even if their interactions with you can no longer prove fatal, they'll make sure you're plenty uncomfortable and that the game's threatening atmosphere remains a big part of the experience.

But if you've been dreading your encounters with their Game Over-inducing claws, now is the time to come out from under the bed and give this horror gem a try.
We promise it won't bite. Much.
This is awesome news, but there was already a mod that did this. What's the difference between that and this mode? Also I hope they do the same for amnesia and penumbra
Never mind that mode, the base game is awesome, spooks and all!

GO PLAY IT!
Zoidberg: Never mind that mode, the base game is awesome, spooks and all!

GO PLAY IT!
It is but some people find it too scary to enjoy. I'm one of them
Won't bite much? Just nibble a bit...
Good for people who want it. Personally, I think the "game over" screen is also one of the cool parts of this game :)
low rated
... lel

I can see how people would create mods for this sort of thing, but it's weird to see it as an official feature.

Could someone please mod all of the gaps and pitfalls out of Super Mario? Those are scary and pretty dangerous. Also, all racing games should officially feature a bicycle mode. Cars are so noisy and bad for the environment.
Zoidberg: Never mind that mode, the base game is awesome, spooks and all!

GO PLAY IT!
Magmarock: It is but some people find it too scary to enjoy. I'm one of them
Well then, it means one thing: it's not for you. :P

It's like saying there is too much shooting in an fps. :P

Soma is one of the best in its genre, but if you are repulsed by the genre, you probably won't like it.

Note that there isn't any scare jumps, it's more diluted.
low rated
CharlesGrey: ... lel

I can see how people would create mods for this sort of thing, but it's weird to see it as an official feature.

Could someone please mod all of the gaps and pitfalls out of Super Mario? Those are scary and pretty dangerous. Also, all racing games should officially feature a bicycle mode. Cars are so noisy and bad for the environment.
Gotta pander to casuals after sales fail to meet expectations I guess. Without a failure state,Soma is more of a walking sim then anything else.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by Mr.Caine
high rated

While I laughed so hard I spewed my coffee all over, I am dead set-against mandates imposed on other's enjoyment (Including disabling hard/ironman modes and the like) I seriously doubt that this will be the end of gaming as we know it...Just chalk it up to another old guys' fears of everything not being what it used to be back in our day!

I for one won't be needing it (Shudder at the thought) but it's good to know there's a choice for others, and that's what makes gaming that much better than real life!
high rated
Magmarock: It is but some people find it too scary to enjoy. I'm one of them
Zoidberg: Well then, it means one thing: it's not for you. :P

Soma is one of the best in its genre, but if you are repulsed by the genre, you probably won't like it.

Well, clearly I'm not the only one who wanted a mode like this in the game otherwise the devs wouldn't have put it in. Are you suggesting that the devs are in the wrong for adding more options or that you know better?

Mr.Caine: Gotta pander to casuals after sales fail to meet expectations I guess. Without a failure state,Soma is more of a walking sim then anything else.
It always was a walking sim and it's been out for years now. Nothing has been taken from you.
Post edited December 01, 2017 by Magmarock
Zoidberg: Well then, it means one thing: it's not for you. :P

Magmarock: Well, clearly I'm not the only one who wanted a mode like this in the game otherwise the devs wouldn't have put it in. Are you suggesting that the devs are in the wrong for adding more options or that you know better?
Mr.Caine: Gotta pander to casuals after sales fail to meet expectations I guess. Without a failure state,Soma is more of a walking sim then anything else.
Magmarock: It always was a walking sim and it's been out for years now. Nothing has been taken from you.
I think it denatures the game, so I would say that they are in the wrong. But it's their game and if they feel obligated to do that because they want more people playing the game, including people that aren't the audience for it then fine.

There are very few failure state anyway but the threat of failure looms over the whole story, that's what makes the game strong in my opinion.

Removing that will lessen the game. But if you want to play the game that way then fine, but you have then absolutely no right to judge it that way. Just keep that in mind.
high rated
Luckily Duke Amiel Du H'ardcore is taking a break, otherwise he'd find some worthy material in this thread. :P
So....what exactly does it do?
I don't like to die, I like living. So thanks!

If it was Paradox, this would've been a DLC for 29.99$ hehehe :|