It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

carpediem15: I'd have to say that my favorite Christmas carol would be Silent Night. It's just so peaceful.

I'm in for the giveaway. Thanks for doing this Skimmie and PaterAlf. I love seeing everyone elses Christmas traditions.
skimmie: I wholeheartedly agree with you on Silent Night. Any particular version or performance you like best? I'm always looking for versions of the traditional carols with as much 'warmth' as possible, if you know what I mean (yes fellow goglodytes, that is a question to all of you :)
I really like the Sarah McLachlan version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti6EDLor1wk
bjgamer: Well a variation on the Raisin Cookie recipe I posted is to soak the raisins in rum overnight. Not really sure how it would taste doing that with beer though.
skimmie: Another wonderful recipe! And it sounds simple enough for me to try out with the kids :)
Well, I'm not quite sure you'd want the rum version for the kids - I guess it could put them to sleep with visions of sugar plums ... or have them climbing the Christmas tree in an even greater sugar-high. :/
skimmie: Another wonderful recipe! And it sounds simple enough for me to try out with the kids :)
bjgamer: Well, I'm not quite sure you'd want the rum version for the kids - I guess it could put them to sleep with visions of sugar plums ... or have them climbing the Christmas tree in an even greater sugar-high. :/
Yeah, I was thinking of the non-alcoholic version :)
On the other hand, seeing them try to climb the Christmas tree might be worth it :)
carpediem15: I'd have to say that my favorite Christmas carol would be Silent Night. It's just so peaceful.
skimmie: I wholeheartedly agree with you on Silent Night. Any particular version or performance you like best? I'm always looking for versions of the traditional carols with as much 'warmth' as possible, if you know what I mean (yes fellow goglodytes, that is a question to all of you :)
Cecil already pointed out Sarah McLachlan's version of Silent Night. She has an entire album of traditional christmas songs like that, titled Wintersong. Well worth looking up. I particularly like her rendition of River.

Another album like that, with a bit more folk "thwang", would be A Catie Curtis Christmas by (surprise) Catie Curtis. Probably more of an acquired taste, and I can imagine that a first impression might not give you that warmth (as it's not as "produced"), but I posit that the warmth really is there, and that it'll shine through if you give it a chance.
well I'm in but where should I start..

My favourite christmas songs include Boogie Woogie Santa Claus and Santa Baby, which are more on the jazz and swing side.

But I feel the most festive mood when on the 24th in that small church near us, which is filled to the brim with people of all ages, everyone sings Oh Tannenbaum and you get that melange of good singing voices with over-enthusiastic children ;)

And last but not least, I'll share a recipe with you - this version was created just 3 days ago:

Glühwein (mulled wine) - we were drinking some classic Yogi tea (with includes cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, black pepper) and I had some red wine left over, so I just combined the two (the ratio was 1 part wine 2 parts tea) et voilá - good spicy mulled wine, just add honey/sugar or orangejuice according to your preferences.

I wish all of you joyful holidays :)
Post edited December 21, 2018 by artaion
Falci: www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0JzRS0f9Zs

The video is an ad for a bank from when I was a kid. I'm not too much into Christmas stuff, but I love this song.

Also, thanks for the generosity! Happy Holidays everyone!
PaterAlf: A Christmas-themed bank ad? Santa is astonished and left a present in your stocking. ;)
If you really want Christmas absurdity, this episode from Futurama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbMq4NCHuhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI6x8PZ1d8s

It cracks me up every time I see it.
Post edited December 21, 2018 by TheBigCore
PaterAlf: A Christmas-themed bank ad? Santa is astonished and left a present in your stocking. ;)
TheBigCore: If you really want Christmas absurdity, this episode from Futurama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbMq4NCHuhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI6x8PZ1d8s

It cracks me up every time I see it.
I love when Santa is like "Forget about mistletoe, I have a TOW missle."
Santa can you hear me..
Santa I have been good this year
Why didn't I received anything in this event yet.
that's my only wish this year
Just wondering, half joking
don't be angy at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrvebqA8xdM

I love Britney since I was teenager, I guees her illness touch me...
misteryo: I love Christmas very much.
And Santa loves you! He left a gift in your stocking. :)
misteryo: I love Christmas very much.
PaterAlf: And Santa loves you! He left a gift in your stocking. :)
Oh, how wonderful! Santa knows just what I like. Thank you!
zeogold: I'll be in, but I'm afraid I don't have anything particularly special to put that isn't common to a good billion other Americans or so. This country outputs, like, 90% of the hugely commercialized Christmas songs, movies, traditions, etc. that everybody is already familiar with. As for me, my personal favorite part is the television programs and movies. It's a regular tradition for me to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas and some of the Rankin-Bass cartoons around this time. As far as food goes, my mom usually makes banana pudding.

Favorite song is probably "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen", I usually go for the more traditional versions of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlfHyb397VY
Santa is not adverse to commercialized Christmas traditions. He left a present in your stocking!
zeogold: I'll be in, but I'm afraid I don't have anything particularly special to put that isn't common to a good billion other Americans or so. This country outputs, like, 90% of the hugely commercialized Christmas songs, movies, traditions, etc. that everybody is already familiar with. As for me, my personal favorite part is the television programs and movies. It's a regular tradition for me to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas and some of the Rankin-Bass cartoons around this time. As far as food goes, my mom usually makes banana pudding.

Favorite song is probably "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen", I usually go for the more traditional versions of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlfHyb397VY
skimmie: Santa is not adverse to commercialized Christmas traditions. He left a present in your stocking!
How about "Johnny Mathis - When a Child Is Born", then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCqhX89WV_0

A ray of hope flickers in the sky
A tiny star lights up way up high
All across the land, dawns a brand new morn
This comes to pass when a child is born

A silent wish sails the seven seas
The winds of change whisper in the trees
And the walls of doubt crumble, tossed and torn

A rosy hue settles all around
You've got the feel you're on solid ground
For a spell or two, no-one seems forlorn

And all of this happens because the world is waiting,
Waiting for one child
Black, white, yellow, no-one knows
But a child that will grow up and turn tears to laughter,
Hate to love, war to peace and everyone to everyone's neighbour
And misery and suffering will be words to be forgotten, forever

It's all a dream, an illusion now
It must come true, sometime soon somehow
All across the land, dawns a brand new morn
Post edited December 21, 2018 by TheBigCore
vidsgame: I am in. My favorite Christmas song is Carol of the Bells because it's rather ominous sounding for a Christmas song which fits me because I go trick or treating on Christmas dressed up as Freddie. It scares all the carolers. Haha. No, but seriously, I first heard it as a kid and I thought: "Wait...this is a Christmas song? Neat." I love this version.

My Christmas traditions usually involve sleeping in and seeing snow outside while staying inside and watching Home Alone. Yes, that does mean that are no official celebrations, just another day off but I'll take it.

Thank you for the giveaway, skimmie and PaterAlf.
PaterAlf: Santa thinks a day off is a wonderful opportunity to play another game. He left a present in your stocking. :)
Appreciate the gift, skimmie and PaterAlf. You guys are sweet as candy canes. Thank you for this giveway.
I'm in, and I can finally tell a little Italian tradition.

In Italy at Christmas (as often in many other areas) there are always two main opposing factions that "cheer" for their favorite Christmas cake: Pandoro or Panettone.

These are two traditional sweets famous throughout the country that are produced just for the Christmas holidays. Pandoro is simply a light and elongated sweet bread, with the typical star shape, covered with icing sugar. The panettone instead often contains candied fruit or raisins, with a cover of glaze and almonds. In recent times this battle is often fought with memes and the different factions mocking each other. You can see a representation of the battle HERE.

And HERE instead a recipe with the panettone explained by a funny old man in English.

As for me, I prefer to eat both every Christmas! :P
Post edited December 22, 2018 by Alexim
Today, December 22, one of our craziest traditions (that I didn't mention before) takes place: the special Christmas Lottery. It's not the biggest by prizes, but basically everybody plays and spends insane amounts in tickets (you are supposed to share them with family and friends). First prize hasn't been drawn yet, so if you see my location changed to the Sheychelles in the next few days, you know what to blame. ;)

Alexim: In Italy at Christmas (as often in many other areas) there are always two main opposing factions that "cheer" for their favorite Christmas cake: Pandoro or Panettone.
I'm #TeamPanettone. It has become really popular here in the last decade.
Post edited December 22, 2018 by ConsulCaesar