It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Merry Christmas to all goggers and I hope that the new year gives you all lots of blessings and prosperity.

My favorite song of the season is Silent Night, Holy Night.
No song even comes close to as soothing and relaxing as this gem. My Christmas is simply not complete if I don't listen to this song at maximum volume on the night of Christmas eve with some Eggnog.
skimmie: Santa loves a nice family gathering. He left a present in your stocking!
Cool. What a lovely surprise! Thank you very much!

Also thank you both again for coming up with this thread - it's really interesting (and heartwarming) to read about the different traditions regarding Christmas :D

Merry Christmas to everyone here!
my favourite song is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i68hFhteYv0&list=PLpyody_xY7uQylI937D6R7nwHh-iVUmte&index=2

i just love it lool

Our family christmas tradition isnt anything big, we cook a christmas ham, open presents and all the usual, but every year we used to go on nature trails and hikes my mom would take some pics of some of the birds and would make a collage of them when we got back home and listen to some of our local christmas music..to be very honest, some of them are rather funny just because of the way they are sung so it gives a different meaning to what the artists are trying to say.Those were something we enjoyed doing and would gladly do it again because christmas is the time to spend with family and friends and to enjoy the smaller things rather than the big

and as far as the GA goes, im in =)
you guys are really awesome for what you do for the community and hope the best days come your way..MERRY CHRISTMAS, FELIZ NAVIDAD!!
Ixamyakxim: Thanks again skimmie / Pater! Now if you can only fill me in on how not to dry out my next leg of lamb...
skimmie: Sorry, can't help you there. Maybe one of the more experienced cooks in this thread can help you out? :)
Try using the technique for suckling pig, which is traditionally served with the meat falling off the bone:
Caesar.: In my family it is traditional to eat "cochinillo asado" (roasted suckling pig) on Christmas Eve. Of course the recipe is a family secret, but this one is close enough: https://www.spain-recipes.com/cochinillo-asado.html
Until my father died, we used to play his favourite (only?) musician, Bing Crosby. White Christmas is pretty special, but an entire discography can tend to drag after a couple of hours. (It was a nice idea for a present that year, though. :)

No need to gift anything to me.
Merry Christmas to all.
May the saddest days of your future be no worse than the happiest days of your past. :)
CervelloYM: When I was little my parents took me to a shopping mall on Christmas Day to get a photo of me with Santa. We were queuing for so long that I became fussy. And when we arrived at the end of the line I suddenly felt I need to pee. My parents didn't believe me, they thought I was just being fussy. Well... it happened on Santa's lap.
Santa has forgiven you. He left a present in your stocking. :)
PaterAlf: Santa has forgiven you. He left a present in your stocking. :)
What a surprise! Thank you so much Santa for the present.
And for your forgiveness.
Sulibor: Makielki, in my humble opinion, is the tastiest regional Christmas dish. It consists of minced poppy seed mixed with honey, raisins, nuts and homemade noodles.
To prepare it you need to wash poppy seed and leave it in cold water for about 24 hours. Then you need to blanch it and mince it (or save yourself the trouble and buy it minced already :) ). To the minced poppy you need to add hacked raisins, figs, almonds and nuts and some honey. Then you need to prepare the dough for the noodles. The important thing is that the noodles should be shaped in thick stripes.

Here is a link to several instrumental arrangements of traditional Christmas songs, the first one Gdy się Chrystus rodzi" is my personal favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tosr4-tCsTk

I would like to be in. Thank you for the giveaway.
According to Santa, you've been good this year. He left a present in your stocking!
skimmie: According to Santa, you've been good this year. He left a present in your stocking!
That is mighty kind of you! Thank you Santa!
kitsuneae: My household is pagan. Not the showy kind of pagan, the quiet kind. If I didn't say anything, you would never know.
PaterAlf: Santa likes pagans too. He left something in your stocking. :)
Thanks. :)
I snuck something in yours when you weren't looking. Tricky tricky!

Have fun!
PaterAlf: Santa likes pagans too. He left something in your stocking. :)
kitsuneae: Thanks. :)

Have fun!
I really wasn't expecting that. Thank you very much. :)

Here are some more Christmas songs. Maybe not really the traditional stuff, but sometimes I feel more like listening to rock music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB2l6UESSyo&list=PLcZMZxR9uxC8nhBY9Jn6kihqK9suWiuBQ
Korotan: Well under my friends we adopted this mix because Digimon is an essantial part of the Childhood and our geekness unites us so we think this song is educational and beautifull at the same time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iralBKFbeVk
Oh and I would definately say not no to another present.
Santa likes Digimon. He left a present in your stocking. :)
Post edited December 17, 2018 by PaterAlf
kitsuneae: Thanks. :)

Have fun!
PaterAlf: I really wasn't expecting that. Thank you very much. :)

Here are some more Christmas songs. Maybe not really the traditional stuff, but sometimes I feel more like listening to rock music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB2l6UESSyo&list=PLcZMZxR9uxC8nhBY9Jn6kihqK9suWiuBQ
Korotan: Well under my friends we adopted this mix because Digimon is an essantial part of the Childhood and our geekness unites us so we think this song is educational and beautifull at the same time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iralBKFbeVk
Oh and I would definately say not no to another present.
PaterAlf: Santa likes Digimon. He left a present in your stocking. :)
Thank you very much. I wish I could do now backwards Saltos.
Not in for the giveaway, but thanks a lot for your generosity and for this thread where everyone can share their traditions. :)

I've been reluctant to write here because Christmas is not a very happy time anymore for most Venezuelans, with our country in crisis and an exodus that has so many families divided. Most of those living in what's left of what was once a rich and prosperous country can't afford traditional Christmas food (my family included), others can't afford food at all, or give what little they have to their children and resort to eating from garbage. It just doesn't feel like Christmas anymore, it's been like this the last few years and getting worse.

That said, I still love Christmas and enjoy the decoration and music, though the traditional songs often bring me to tears when I remember the the beautiful Christmases from my childhood and compare it with how everything is now.

My favorite Christmas songs that are well known in most countries are Silent Night and O Holy Night. As for traditional Venezuelan Christmas songs (whcih are called "aguinaldos") I love several and it's really difficult to pick a single favorite, but I'll leave you one I like a lot. It's called "Corre caballito" which means "Run little horse". It's from an anonymous songwriter and the version in the video is sung by the guys who popularized it, this is my favorite version. I hope you like it! :)

Corre Caballito.

As for the traditional Venezuelan food, I'll leave you the wikipedia entry for our most popular Christmas dish. The funny thing is I never liked it, lol, so I was always the only one in the family eathing pasta on the Christmas dinners. :D

Hallacas.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas! And those who don't celebrate Christmas, have a great time during the holiday season! :)
hummer010: So, for us, a big part of Christmas tradition is the local community Christmas concert. It just happened this past Sunday. It's a pot-luck affair - everyone brings something to eat. It happens in the old school - old as in built in 1926 in the middle of nowhere (as of today, there is still no running water. The bathroom is still an outhouse!). Everyone gets together for some food, and then we have the concert. Kids and adults can sing songs, or act skits, or play instruments - whatever they want. There's a little stage in the corner for them. And then we sing Christmas carols. It's the same lady at the piano every year - she's about 85, and a fantastic musician. I don't thing she can actually see the sheet music anymore, but it doesn't matter. Every year, "Here Comes Santa Clause" is about the sixth carol, and midway through the carol, Santa Clause shows up. Parents pre-arrange the gifts, so Santa calls every kids name, and hands him / her a gift. The gifts are always small and thoughtful, and everyone goes home with the feeling that Christmas is something bigger than themselves. Sometimes I think my kids look forward to the Christmas concert more than they look forward to Christmas.

It's events like these that remind me that I absolutely love the community that I live in. I hope that thirty years from now, my kids are the ones carrying on the tradition of the local Christmas concert, regardless of where we live.
Santa thinks you've been a nice person this year. He left a gift in your stocking. :)
hummer010: So, for us, a big part of Christmas tradition is the local community Christmas concert. It just happened this past Sunday. It's a pot-luck affair - everyone brings something to eat. It happens in the old school - old as in built in 1926 in the middle of nowhere (as of today, there is still no running water. The bathroom is still an outhouse!). Everyone gets together for some food, and then we have the concert. Kids and adults can sing songs, or act skits, or play instruments - whatever they want. There's a little stage in the corner for them. And then we sing Christmas carols. It's the same lady at the piano every year - she's about 85, and a fantastic musician. I don't thing she can actually see the sheet music anymore, but it doesn't matter. Every year, "Here Comes Santa Clause" is about the sixth carol, and midway through the carol, Santa Clause shows up. Parents pre-arrange the gifts, so Santa calls every kids name, and hands him / her a gift. The gifts are always small and thoughtful, and everyone goes home with the feeling that Christmas is something bigger than themselves. Sometimes I think my kids look forward to the Christmas concert more than they look forward to Christmas.

It's events like these that remind me that I absolutely love the community that I live in. I hope that thirty years from now, my kids are the ones carrying on the tradition of the local Christmas concert, regardless of where we live.
PaterAlf: Santa thinks you've been a nice person this year. He left a gift in your stocking. :)
Thank you Santa! That was both extremely kind and unepected!

I hope you, and everyone here, have a wonderful holiday season!
AB2012: Great festive giveaway! I'd like to be in for the giveaway.

Favorite Song : Silver Bells (Bing Crosby)

Favorite Recipe : Swedish "Pepparkakor" (Ginger Snaps) (It's actually all about the Cardamom)

Everything else is a traditional British Christmas, ie, you take the sprouts, boil them on high and if you can still count them they're not done enough yet... ;-)
Santa loves Bing Crosby christmas songs, and the Ginger Snaps sound delish, too! He ate all the cookies...sorry about that. He left a present in your stocking to make up for it, though...as well as a request to never mention the sprouts, ever again. :)