It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

My household is pagan. Not the showy kind of pagan, the quiet kind. If I didn't say anything, you would never know.

The tree? It's a shelter for wee folk who don't want to be out in the cold. It stays up until February to give things a chance to warm up a little. We decorate it because everyone likes pretty things whether they are human or not. The mistletoe? A reminder of the green man who dies every autumn and is reborn every spring. It's hung by the door to invite abundance into the house. Presents? They represent the gifts the earth mother gives us as we celebrate another year.

It's amazing how much different faiths can have in common sometimes.

Past that we just party hard around the solstice. We listen to silly/roudy songs, drink (sometimes too much), eat sweets (definitely too much) and generally are grateful for each other's company. Last year we marathoned the old Pokemon anime and did a drinking game: one shot per groan, two per "awwww". We are trying to convince a friend who has lost his wife and mother (!) in the same year to join us this year, but he probably will be with his brother instead.

We don't really have any religious songs as those generally end up too serious for our liking. Also why does it always have to be Celtic flavored? Pagans are everywhere! Anyway, The closest one to a religious song that sometimes makes it in is Jack in the Green by Coyote Run.
https://youtu.be/Q6vNHj48Wvc?t=37s

Stuck in the Smokehole of Our Tipi is a household favorite. Yes, especially Silly "Christmas" songs make it in even though it's not actually Christmas we are celebrating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkwlR6EnOps

Whatever you're celebrating (or not) have an awesome winter!
PaterAlf: It seems you've been a good person this year. Santa left a present in your stocking. :)
Ooh, yay! What a nice surprise! Thanks to you and skimmie for conceiving of the idea for thread, and to misteryo (and any other additional contributors) for helping spreading the festivities even more widely!

Now the real question for me: Am I going to unwrap this right away, or wait till xmas proper...? (Heh, who am I kidding? As if I'd have that much self control...) ;)
kusumahendra: well, the only chrismast song that cross my mind
kusumahendra: I'm IN btw

[edit]
sorry I have to put the link in comment since due to my rep I'm not allowed to post link
Santa seems to think you've been good this year. He left a present in your stocking!
bhrigu: Christmas is celebrated in many places here, though not always in a manner similar to Europe or the Americas.

Larger metropolises, with major Churches or cathedrals and popular festivals on streets offer more in terms of Christmas celebrations. In smalltowns, we mostly watch broadcasts of such celebrations on televisions and many visit the local churches. And also Christmas themed movies on TV.

One of the most popular aspect of the festival around here, however, are the cakes. Christmas cakes are hugely popular and the storeshelfs start to overflow with various types of cakes, though those with dry fruits are most popular. In recent years cake mixing events have also started to take place in larger cities.

Also, I like to eat fruit cake with ice cream.

Merry Christmas in advance!!

[since I have no recipe or song to share, I guess I will not enter the GA]
There's so much surprise in this giveaway that you can win even when you think you're not in. ;)

Santa left a present in your stocking. :)
That's really a great thread, thanks for organising it @PaterAlf and @skimmie :)
I'd be in, in case my post is eligible for the giveaway :D

Well, I don't really have a Christmas tradition to share, mostly because I'm from an Atheist family, which doesn't mean that we don't celebrate Christmas, however it's more of a nice family gathering than anything else.

The most "traditional" thing would be the Christmas dinner. While do have a really delicious raclette or fondue now and again, most years we have a bifg fish plate with a wide variety different types of fish (of course accompanied by horse radish)

Usually we have:
- trout
- peppered mackerel
- halibut
- northern wolffish
- different smaller "salads" with herrings/bismarck herrings

and of course some matjes salad "housewife style", usually served with (parsley) potatoes but you can also eat it on bread:

You'll need:
- matjes fillets
- onions
- apples, preferably sour apples
- pickled cucumbers
- crème fraîche
- sour cream
(alternatively you can use yogurt)
- lemon juice
- sugar
- salt
- pepper

Mix the crème fraîche and the sour cream (or just have the yogurt ready), then cut the cucumbers and the onions into cubes, cut the apples into fine slices. Sprinkle the apple slices with lemon juice.
Add the cucumbers, apples and onions to the cream sauce (or the yogurt), season to taste with sugar, salt and pepper. Put it into the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight.

Then serve it with the matjes fillets and parsley potatoes or some bread :)
skimmie: That brought a really big smile to my face :)
SpartanSloth: Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it :D
Santa seems to think you've been nice this year (nicer than the guy in the music video at least). He's left a present in your stocking!
I haven't been participating in this thread for quite of while, but I'm following it constantly. Big hooray for skimmie & PeterAlf 6 their generosity.
truhlik: Here are some of many popular Christmas carols (koleda) in czechia.
Silent Night is one of them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g59bV1_H16I
Another popular song for Christmas Eve - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw_Rk1AHWa4

As for Christmas habits. In my region is typical to serve the table with one extra dinnerware set for unexpected guest. And as dinner we always have carp. Or when dinner starts, no one should stand until everyone finish.
And in midnight is special Christmas Mass. Lot of people attend only on this mass in whole year.

And thanks to others participant, I learned a lot about Christmas in other countries.
Santa appreciates your willingness to learn about other countries' Christmas traditions. He left a gift in your stocking. :)
SpartanSloth: Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it :D
skimmie: Santa seems to think you've been nice this year (nicer than the guy in the music video at least). He's left a present in your stocking!
Phew, I'm glad I'm not getting shot by Santa this year haha

Thank you Skimmie and PaterAlf for your generosity!
bhrigu: Christmas is celebrated in many places here, though not always in a manner similar to Europe or the Americas.

Larger metropolises, with major Churches or cathedrals and popular festivals on streets offer more in terms of Christmas celebrations. In smalltowns, we mostly watch broadcasts of such celebrations on televisions and many visit the local churches. And also Christmas themed movies on TV.

One of the most popular aspect of the festival around here, however, are the cakes. Christmas cakes are hugely popular and the storeshelfs start to overflow with various types of cakes, though those with dry fruits are most popular. In recent years cake mixing events have also started to take place in larger cities.

Also, I like to eat fruit cake with ice cream.

Merry Christmas in advance!!

[since I have no recipe or song to share, I guess I will not enter the GA]
PaterAlf: There's so much surprise in this giveaway that you can win even when you think you're not in. ;)

Santa left a present in your stocking. :)
WOW!!
Thank you for the amazing present.
Kudos to both you and skimmie for organising this lovely GA.
Also I wish all fellow GOGLins a wonderful Christmas and a very happy new year.
kitsuneae: My household is pagan. Not the showy kind of pagan, the quiet kind. If I didn't say anything, you would never know.
Santa likes pagans too. He left something in your stocking. :)
Well under my friends we adopted this mix because Digimon is an essantial part of the Childhood and our geekness unites us so we think this song is educational and beautifull at the same time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iralBKFbeVk
Oh and I would definately say not no to another present.
xalegra: Carols are part of Christmas celebration, but not most important. It is about friends and family, also doing something charitable. I usually save on gifts by making most of them on my own and spend money to help someone in need. I'm also "evil" aunt which gifts no sweets but only healthy fruits to her nephews. To be sincere I give in sometimes and buy chocolate since I live in town with chocolate factory. Last few Christmases I had helped an elderly woman, but she moved to her family so I think I'll help one girl suffering form cancer or someone else depending on circumstances. Christmas is about joy, but also about sharing and reminding yourself to be bighearted as much you can every day, not just this part of the year.
Santa seems to approve of your Christmas spirit! And also, chocolate. Lots of it. He left a present in your stocking!
Happy holidays friends!

:)

In for the giveaway, wishlist updated, and chat open.
here is one song I really like hope you enjoy

Campanas de Belén / The bells of Bethlehem

The Spanish lyrics:

Campana sobre campana
y sobre campana una
asómate a la ventana
verás a un niño en la cuna
Belén
Campanas de Belén
que los ángeles tocan
que nuevas me traés
Recogido tu rebaño
a donde vas pastorcillo?
Voy a llevar al portal
requesón, manteca y vino
chorus
Campana sobre campana
y sobre campana dos
asómate a la ventana
porque esta naciendo Dios
chorus
Caminando a media noche
¿a donde vas pastorcillo?
le llevo al niño que nace
como a Dios mi corazón

The English lyrics:
Bells, over Bells
And one bell above all
Look out the window
See a child in a crib
Bethlehem
Bells of Bethlehem
that the angels ring
Ringing in the new
Pick up your flock,
Where is your shepherd?
I'll take the portal,
cheese, butter and wine.
chorus
Bells, over Bells
And one bell above two
Look out the window,
because God is being born
chorus
Walking at midnight
Where are you going shepherd?
I bring the child that is born
Like God in my heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyRFHeNMoXA
ElTerprise: That's really a great thread, thanks for organising it @PaterAlf and @skimmie :)
I'd be in, in case my post is eligible for the giveaway :D

Well, I don't really have a Christmas tradition to share, mostly because I'm from an Atheist family, which doesn't mean that we don't celebrate Christmas, however it's more of a nice family gathering than anything else.
Santa loves a nice family gathering. He left a present in your stocking!