It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Ghorpm: I have a real cool story about Christmas spirit and non-material gifts. And it happened like an hour ago!

A secretary called me and said that someone was looking for me. A young woman was waiting for me in a parlor and she asked me if I knew who she was. Much to her surprise I did. A few years ago I organized a Christmas event and visited an orphanage to show some cool physical experiments like these (just a few examples):

and she had been asking me tons of questions back then so yeah, I did remember her. Much to my surprise she told me it had been exactly eleven years ago and she considered it to be a life-changing moment for her. She checked my publications record so she knew where I work and decided to visit me. Apparently mousetrap fission experiment was particularly important to her and so… she showed me her recently obtained PhD degree in elementary particle physics!

Best Christmas gift ever!
Such a heartwarming tale. :D
low rated
PaterAlf: I also got an early Christmas gift: A new cheese store opened right around the corner.

Yeah, I know that's by far not as amazing as Ghorpm's story. But what can I say, I really like cheese. :D
It must be a big deal when you get ANY new shops on an island. :) ============================================

TheBigCore: Too bad the Internet doesn't have a way to physically send cheese over it, because then you could put it in people's stockings. ;)
If it's the one I linked to just now....well let's just say we'd we left wanting even IF that were possible. ;)
Post edited December 13, 2019 by GameRager
Ghorpm: and she had been asking me tons of questions back then so yeah, I did remember her. Much to my surprise she told me it had been exactly eleven years ago and she considered it to be a life-changing moment for her.
Wow! You're my hero! :-)
Also, outstanding memory there. I am terrible remembering people.
high rated
BeatriceElysia: we just started to decorate home. :D
Nice! How are the decorations coming along?
PaterAlf: I also got an early Christmas gift: A new cheese store opened right around the corner.

Yeah, I know that's by far not as amazing as Ghorpm's story. But what can I say, I really like cheese. :D
The little things are important, too :) Enjoy!
Post edited December 13, 2019 by skimmie
Ghorpm: Some of them are typical for different regions in Poland (I believe #5 is from Łowicz), some of them are pretty old design (#4 an #1 in particular) but I cannot really recognize them all that well. ~2 years ago I tried to learn more about them but sadly there are not so many source materials.
FlockeSchnee: Thanks.
It's sad, when interest in these things gets lost and they have mostly been passed down by storytelling/teaching, because then, those who want to learn (about) them, might not be able to find someone to tell/teach them and there is no (or next to no) written information of some kind about those things.
But at least there are pictues of Pajaki, so if one really wants to start "their own Pajaki-tradition" (without someone telling/teaching them), they could try their hand at recreating one of those or maybe even create their very own based on common ground between all of those designs. :-)
We even have a famous saying in Poland "Cudze chwalicie, swego nie znacie" (you praise what belongs to others and don't even know your own) and it's a very good commentary to this situation. A lot of people in Poland start to hang Christmas wreaths everywhere (not a Polish tradition) but nobody seems to know Pająki. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against new ornaments - after all what we consider a tradition was brand new some time ago. So yeah, I don't oppose them at all, I just want to preserve our own decorations.

And a good news is that not everything is lost yet. There are some European projects to preserve culture and tradition and my friends and me are supporting a regional museum to apply for this project. After all as physicists/material engineers we have quite some experience in applying for EU funds so we can help a bit with formal part of the application.

Cheese is soooo good! Back in 80s in Poland we only had "yellow cheese" (just one type!!!), cottage cheese and cheese spread. And that was it. Can you imagine? I certainly can't right now.
Ghorpm: and she had been asking me tons of questions back then so yeah, I did remember her. Much to my surprise she told me it had been exactly eleven years ago and she considered it to be a life-changing moment for her.
Gede: Wow! You're my hero! :-)
Also, outstanding memory there. I am terrible remembering people.
I certainly don't feel like a hero. Frankly, making these experiments was (and still is) a lot of fun. I can do that even when I'm alone but it was nicer with an audience so nothing special on my part. I'm in awe that she was so determined to work so hard and achieve what she wanted. And finding me to tell the story was amazing!

Fortunately she didn't ask if I remember her name - for that I have a terrible memory. But apart from that I don't complain about my memory ;)
Post edited December 13, 2019 by Ghorpm
BeatriceElysia: we just started to decorate home. :D
skimmie: Nice! How are the decorations coming along?
my mum put Christmas candles/lamps in crimson color, while I contributed to decorating part of the house with some decorations in shapes of red ice skates.
Today is priest coming up, to bless our house.

OH, and today is Saint Lucia, people here plant Christmas wheat. It is said when you wheat ends up thick and big on Christmas, you'll get luck and blessing next year.
high rated
Santa ate all your Vanillekipferl...sorry 'bout that. He left something in your stocking, though.
skimmie: Santa ate all your Vanillekipferl...sorry 'bout that. He left something in your stocking, though.
Great! That's a fair deal. I hope Santa enjoyed those Kipferl as much as I am going to enjoy the game.

Thank you very much!
low rated
BeatriceElysia: Today is priest coming up, to bless our house.
We do sort of similar for Easter....i.e. we ask the priest to bless our easter food and such. Many usually give the priest a small food item or such as an offering/to be nice....do your people do kind things for the priests as well for christmas when they come out?
Post edited December 13, 2019 by GameRager
BeatriceElysia: Today is priest coming up, to bless our house.
GameRager: We do sort of similar for Easter....i.e. we ask the priest to bless our easter food and such. Many usually give the priest a small food item or such as an offering/to be nice....do your people do kind things for the priests as well for christmas when they come out?
both that Easter tradition and Christmas tradition I mentioned.
low rated
BeatriceElysia: both that Easter tradition and Christmas tradition I mentioned.
Sounds like yours and mine have a common source or root, then. :)
high rated
Ghorpm: Cheese is soooo good! Back in 80s in Poland we only had "yellow cheese" (just one type!!!), cottage cheese and cheese spread. And that was it. Can you imagine? I certainly can't right now.
I'm in awe that she was so determined to work so hard and achieve what she wanted. And finding me to tell the story was amazing!
Santa thinks you deserve a gift (for changing someones life and for liking cheese), He left something in your stocking.
low rated
(Santa shows at 2:26 so its a holiday song, I think ;))
Ghorpm: Cheese is soooo good! Back in 80s in Poland we only had "yellow cheese" (just one type!!!), cottage cheese and cheese spread. And that was it. Can you imagine? I certainly can't right now.
I'm in awe that she was so determined to work so hard and achieve what she wanted. And finding me to tell the story was amazing!
PaterAlf: Santa thinks you deserve a gift (for changing someones life and for liking cheese), He left something in your stocking.
Thanks a lot! But I still think that she used the opportunity to change her life and I just happened to be around and provided a little push in the right direction
low rated
(Note: Link is to 8kun video, so may not be up long.....also is SFW but creepy pics of lovecraftian horrors)