It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

skimmie: Santa has many good memories about opening kerstpakketten! There's a gift for you in your stocking.
*tips his Christmas hat in thanks to Santa* I think this is going to create many new good memories for the long winter evenings ahead! :)
high rated
TheBigCore: Although it's not a tradition, yesterday I saw a guy dressed as Santa Claus riding through my town on a motorcycle / motorbike. I dunno where he was heading off to, but it was pretty funny seeing him go by.
So you saw me? I was in your town to deliver a little present. ;)
TheBigCore: Although it's not a tradition, yesterday I saw a guy dressed as Santa Claus riding through my town on a motorcycle / motorbike. I dunno where he was heading off to, but it was pretty funny seeing him go by.
PaterAlf: So you saw me? I was in your town to deliver a little present. ;)
Thanks for Ultimate Doom. Make sure you have some Coquito over Christmas as well. :)
high rated
Hmm, this place is going a little bit quiet...What's happening people? We're not losing the holiday spirit, are we?
This year, I have the opportunity to decorate my house with whatever I want, so I'm looking for something truly special / unique... Anyone got any good ideas? I don't care if it's chique or cheesy, old-fashioned or modern, for inside or outdoors, as long as it's still really Christmas-y.

I mean, obviously I have stuff like a tree, garland, lanterns, Christmas houses with lights, a 4-piece advent candle etc. so it has to be something out of the ordinary. Suggestions welcome!
Post edited December 08, 2019 by skimmie
high rated
I had a couple of ideas, but I think they are 18+ only.
high rated
AB2012: Gave - It was a photo album for a relative. She lost her daughter at the age of just 3 months (one of the rarer Trisomy genetic conditions) and nearly lost the few photo's she had when her laptop died and couldn't find the originals, but I managed to extract the HDD and salvage them, cleaned them up a bit had them printed out properly at a photo shop and put into an album. To say she was overjoyed was putting it mildly.
This is the kind of gift that shows what the Christmas spirit is truly about. Santa thinks you're absolutely awesome and left a present in your stocking!
low rated
skimmie: Hmm, this place is going a little bit quiet...What's happening people? We're not losing the holiday spirit, are we?
Maybe some might be spacing out the stories to not run out all at once? :)

=======================

Enebias: I had a couple of ideas, but I think they are 18+ only.
Was it pic related, by any chance? ;)
Attachments:
xmaslamp.jpg (134 Kb)
Post edited December 08, 2019 by GameRager
skimmie: This is the kind of gift that shows what the Christmas spirit is truly about. Santa thinks you're absolutely awesome and left a present in your stocking!
Wow, thank you so much!
...my PM is open. :-P
high rated
PaterAlf: A decoration that is very common in my part of Germany are Christmas pyramids. You see them a lot and you can get them in almost all sizes and shapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRZSw3tqHSE

As you can see in the video the pyramids don't necessarily show Christian motives. Quite often they also show folklore or traditional motives from the region they come from (e.g. mining motives for pyramids from the Erzgebirge).
Hey, I remember when we made such pyramids one year in school. Of course they weren't as elaborate as the ones shown in the video, after all, we kids were something like 8-9yrs old, but they were still pretty enough and fully functional. This was a few too many moons ago, and sadly I don't have mine any more, but I think one or two of the red candles I used are still somewhere in one of the Christmas decoration boxes.

And since a couple of Greek Christmas traditions were mentioned, here's a rather unusual, long standing (for centuries) Christmas tradition in Greece - the boat («karavaki») decoration, mainly on the islands, but it's also been getting traction on the mainland during the last couple of decades. The boat symbolizes the maritime identity of the country.

There are two stories behind this tradition.

One explanation has Saint Nicholas, Patron Saint of Sailors, playing a part in the origin of the tradition. Boats are decorated, in Saint Nicholas’s honour, as a sort of insurance for bringing the salty sea dogs into port safely.
As the feast Day of Saint Nicholas takes place on 6th December, this is the day boats are decorated, and are displayed until 6th January, Epiphany.

The alternative, and a tad more interesting in terms of folklore, story says that women of the Greek islands, during the dark winter months of ferocious and stormy seas, spent their days fretting over fathers, husbands and sons battling with the waves, and praying for their safe return. On spotting the ships returning to harbour, the women would joyfully rush home to celebrate, by decorating small wooden boats, as a welcome to the weary seafarers.

The Christmas boats are made of paper or wood, decorated with small, colourful lamps and a few, simple ornaments. They are usually placed near the outer door or by the fire, with the bow always pointing to the interior of the house. With golden objects or coins placed in it, the ship symbolizes a full load of riches reaching one’s home, as well as an honour and welcome to the seamen returning home to celebrate Christmas with their families after long periods away from home.

On the islands, people who own their own boat, usually hang strings of lights and other decorations on them.

Also, children on the islands used to make their own boats, using wood and paper and then decorate them with colorful fabrics, cotton and twigs. On Christmas Eve, they sang Christmas carols from house to house holding their handmade, illuminated model boats in their laps; they served both as a lantern in the dark and as a box for treats they received, such as walnuts, hazel nuts, dried figs and apricots, and traditional Christmas deserts, melomakarona (nut-and-honey cookies) and kourabiedes (almond snow balls).

The tradition of decorating boats had died down for the most part until the 1970’s when it was revived, and it remains as popular today, especially on the islands, but Christmas Boats are still sold in Christmas shops all around Greece.

Every December since 1999, a huge, illuminated metal structure in the shape of a three-mast ship is erected next to the Christmas tree in the main Square in the second biggest city of Greece, while the capitol has joined in this tradition since 2013.

Now, the Christmas tree is assumed to be a foreign custom. But there's historical evidence supporting the use of decorated greenery and branches around New Year as far back as in Greek antiquity, while tree branches and green bushes called “Christwood” always had a place in Christian households during the medieval Byzantine and Ottoman empires.

And so the Christmas boats and trees co-exist today.

Attached some photos of Christmas boats, which might inspire skimmie who's looking for some additional decorations.

~~~~ ~~~ ~~~

GOG won't let me attach all the pics in one post, so here are the rest (hopefully this works).
Attachments:
Post edited December 09, 2019 by HypersomniacLive
skimmie: Hmm, this place is going a little bit quiet...What's happening people? We're not losing the holiday spirit, are we?
This year, I have the opportunity to decorate my house with whatever I want, so I'm looking for something truly special / unique... Anyone got any good ideas? I don't care if it's chique or cheesy, old-fashioned or modern, for inside or outdoors, as long as it's still really Christmas-y.

I mean, obviously I have stuff like a tree, garland, lanterns, Christmas houses with lights, a 4-piece advent candle etc. so it has to be something out of the ordinary. Suggestions welcome!
The leg lamp from the Christmas movie "A Christmas Story".

xD

For reference: https://3dprint.com/34607/3d-printed-leg-lamps/
PaterAlf: A decoration that is very common in my part of Germany are Christmas pyramids. You see them a lot and you can get them in almost all sizes and shapes.

As you can see in the video the pyramids don't necessarily show Christian motives. Quite often they also show folklore or traditional motives from the region they come from (e.g. mining motives for pyramids from the Erzgebirge).
That's interesting, 1st time I hear about that.
Post edited December 09, 2019 by Trid
low rated
skimmie: ...my PM is open. :-P
That sounds all sorts of lewd.......can we make it a group chat? o.0

===============================

TheBigCore: The leg lamp from the Christmas movie "A Christmas Story".

xD

Great minds think alike....check post 97. ;)
Post edited December 09, 2019 by GameRager
HypersomniacLive: The tradition of decorating boats had died down for the most part until the 1970’s when it was revived, and it remains as popular today, especially on the islands, but Christmas Boats are still sold in Christmas shops all around Greece.

Every December since 1999, a huge, illuminated metal structure in the shape of a three-mast ship is erected next to the Christmas tree in the main Square in the second biggest city of Greece, while the capitol has joined in this tradition since 2013.
Which city is that ?

HypersomniacLive: Attached some photos of Christmas boats, which might inspire skimmie who's looking for some additional decorations.
It does, actually; I still need something with lights to put on my windowsill, and a boat would fit perfectly!
I just think I'll have to ask my kids to do the decoration and the lights, since I don't think I have seen a decorated boat like that in any shops around here. Which is perfectly fine, it'll give us something to do during the holidays.

Thanks for sharing!

xD

:) I think I saw that one already! :)

skimmie: ...my PM is open. :-P
GameRager: That sounds all sorts of lewd.......can we make it a group chat? o.0
I don't see why not...Christmas is a time of sharing, after all :-P

xD

GameRager: Great minds think alike....check post 97. ;)
I knew it! :)
Post edited December 09, 2019 by skimmie

Trid: That's interesting, 1st time I hear about that.
I wanted to say me too, but when I watched the video I remembered that we actually had something like that as well when I was a child (or at least I've seen it somewhere). I completely forgot about that. I have to admit, my first thought when hearing "Christmas pyramid" was this silly new tradition that makes cities compete in having the biggest Christmas tree by stacking countless trees on top of each other in a slightly pyramid shape to form one huge ugly monster of a Christmas tree in the city's market square, in order to draw in more tourists. Please don't do this at home, I like the actual Christmas pyramids much better. ;)
Attachments:
Post edited December 09, 2019 by Leroux