It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

TheDudeLebowski: Just remembered another story from the archive.

My friend's mother had made kourabiedes for Christmas one time (seems like a lifetime ago). Kourabiedes are a type of sweet pastry with butter and fine sugar sprinkled on top (see attached picture). They left the house for a while, leaving the kourabiedes to cool down. When they got back, the kourabiedes were all naked. The sugar had disappeared.

Then they saw their dog sprinting around the house like he was possessed... He'd licked every single one of them, like the gluttonous pup that he was.

It doesn't sound like much, but it always made me laugh when I'd hear the story.
we have something similar. tea biscuit coated with white sugar - bear claws!

Of course, could PeterAlf and skimmie, if they decide to gift me, just pick a game from my wishlist and donate it to finkleroy? That means I'm in, but not for myself.
Post edited December 03, 2019 by BeatriceElysia
high rated
Christmas decorations in Portugal range from the Christmas wreath (hangs on the door of the house), the decorated Christmas tree, outdoor lightings Christmas and the Christmas crib.
In Portugal tradition says that they should assemble the decorations to around December 8, the day of Our Lady of Conception patron saint of Portugal. Some people have a tradition of crowning the Christmas tree with a star on December 25, symbolizing the Star of Bethlehem. The Christian feast reports that on January 6, which celebrates the Day of Kings, the date that marks the arrival. from the Three Wise Men to Bethlehem, ending the Christmas holidays, when the Christmas tree and other Christmas decorations are taken apart, thus ending the magic of Christmas.

I personally like to set up the Christmas tree and decorate it with ribbons, balls, lights and the Christmas star.
In my region we also have the tradition of making the Christmas crib with moss previously caught in small shrubs or rocks so that the crib can take shape. This is a tradition that is a little lost because few people want to have work looking for the moss and prefer to make only the Christmas tree and decorate it. I still like to make the the Christmas crib with moss and thus preserve a tradition that is becoming increasingly rare in our day.

Attached I leave pictures of the Portuguese Christmas decorations examples:
Christmas wreath (hangs on the door of the house), the decorated Christmas tree, outdoor lightings Christmas and the Christmas crib.

I'm in.
Attachments:
1.jpg (56 Kb)
2.jpg (8 Kb)
3.jpg (42 Kb)
4.jpg (246 Kb)
PaterAlf: Welcome, oh ye merry folks, to the second annual Christmas Surprise Giveaway party, hosted by your friendly neighbourhood Santas better known as PaterAlf and skimmie!

Last year, we needed your help because our party was only partially complete and we needed you, our great GOG community, to fill in the blanks with your favourite holiday songs and/or your best holiday recipes. Well, this year we didn’t forget about those (how could we, with all the great suggestions and ideas we got in 2018?), but we messed up once again...we have delicious food, and beautiful music...but no decorations! And, maybe even worse, no gifts for our loved ones!

We had such a blast last year and we hope to repeat, or even improve upon, the great spirit that you all managed to create back then. But for that, we need you to chime in and tell us about the most special Christmas present that you ever got from, or that you ever gave to, your loved ones. Or, let us know what kind of decoration or ornament is customary where you live, or just that one special decoration that you simply cannot do without in this festive period. Pictures, videos or other audiovisual support is highly welcome!

Just like last year, we’re also having (kind of) a giveaway among those who actively contribute to the thread. If you post a story about a present or ornament, please also make sure to let us know if you’re in for the GA or not, and if you’re in, make sure your wish list is public (or set it to ‘friends’ and add us as friends, at least for the duration of the giveaway). We’ll be going around and dropping gifts in your stockings here and there if you participated, so you MIGHT end up with a gift from us, sooner or later! Then again, you might not. After all, we’re just sharing stories; please keep in mind the GA is a bonus.

Happy holidays and enjoy the party!
When it comes to decorations, I usually put colored Christmas lights on the front door of the house as well as have the obligatory Christmas tree in the living room. In terms of ornaments on the tree, they are usually sports-themed, in my particular case. For example billiards ornaments and Boston Red Sox (US baseball team) ornaments. On the top of the Christmas tree, I usually put on it a silver star with white lights.

I'm in for the giveaway, by the way.
Post edited December 03, 2019 by TheBigCore
high rated
I remember your previous edition and it was great. Thanks both for returning !

The most special Christmas present that I ever got is my first PC from my mum, in 2001 : Athlon XP 1,33 GHZ, 256 MO Ram, GeForce 2. My mum took from her savings to buy it and considering she didn't have a lot of money, it was a financial sacrifice. I was so happy to enter in the pc gaming world !

A Christmas decoration we have in France is the Christmas crib. I have my own Nativity crib I created myself around 10 years ago. It needs to be refreshed but each year I procrastinate...

In the south of France, there is the Provencal Tradition of creating cribs inspired by Provencal architecture from the beginning of the XXth century : little villages with their inhabitants : the Santons.

An example here.

I'm in for the possible giveaway, thanks again.
TheDudeLebowski: Just remembered another story from the archive.

My friend's mother had made kourabiedes for Christmas one time (seems like a lifetime ago). Kourabiedes are a type of sweet pastry with butter and fine sugar sprinkled on top (see attached picture). They left the house for a while, leaving the kourabiedes to cool down. When they got back, the kourabiedes were all naked. The sugar had disappeared.

Then they saw their dog sprinting around the house like he was possessed... He'd licked every single one of them, like the gluttonous pup that he was.

It doesn't sound like much, but it always made me laugh when I'd hear the story.
Does your friend's mom also make baklava? Not many people make kourabiedes if they're not of Greek heritage.
In Spain the traditional gift-giving day is January 6th, the day of the Reyes Magos (the Three Wise Men or Epiphany day). Accordingly, the school Christmas break lasts two weeks and a half, so I always considered it a good trade-off. This (and my birthday) is when I'd usually get a new game as a kid.

One of my fondest memories of a Reyes gift is the year I got Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I remember playing it with my brother, being fascinated by a whole new Indy adventure. We visited New York, Iceland, Tikal and the Azores, all in one morning. It was one of the most beautiful games I had ever seen, and the story was so exciting. That evening I showed it again to my cousins when they came to visit.

Unfortunately I never got to finish the game as a child (I got very close once), and with years passing I moved on, but never forgot it. When I discovered GOG, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was one of the first games I bought. I instantly relived all those sweet childhood memories, and got to hear Indy speaking! My CD, which by the way I still own, didn't have voiceovers. More importantly, I eventually finished the game, after such a long time! I still have two paths to complete when I feel like replaying (I am sure it will be sooner rather than later).

And to bring the story to a full circle, the Christmas giftee became the Christmas gifter, but the present didn't change, when I bought once again Fate of Atlantis during a GOG Christmas sale as a gift. ;)

Thank you for the giveaway. I'd like to be in.
low rated
BeatriceElysia: Of course, could PeterAlf and skimmie, if they decide to gift me, just pick a game from my wishlist and donate it to finkleroy? That means I'm in, but not for myself.
This is the kind of selflessness I have come to admire about this community. +1
high rated
TheBigCore: Does your friend's mom also make baklava? Not many people make kourabiedes if they're not of Greek heritage.
Of course!

There's also melomakarona (honey cookies) and other Greek delicacies.
Attachments:
Here in Brazil usual street decorations are colored and patterned lights, I think. Maybe a huge Christmas tree somewhere notorious in a city. At home, usually a decorated artificial Christmas tree and/or something hanging from the from door.

I never put up any decorations at my place, but I remember my ex building a tree (more like a pyramid) out of empty decorated cans of formula for our daughter in their house. Which I thought was a cool idea and looked pretty neat done.

I'm in and thanks for the generosity. :)
high rated
AB2012: I really can't think of anything specific, other than in our house Santa apparently "expected" children to leave out a mince pie and help pour out a large Gin & Tonic on Christmas Eve.
Your Santa gets a large Gin Tonic? That's awesome. Much better than the normal glass of milk. I guess you never have a problem finding someone to play Santa for the kids. ;)
TheMonkofDestiny: It may not be a "tradition" in the... well, traditional sense but the angel I'd made became a recurring staple in my family's Christmas routine far longer than I personally expected it to. I know just by writing it that it'll probably jinx it right into oblivion but I'm beginning to think the angel might outlive even me at this point.
Thank you for sharing your story. May you angel survive for many more years. Santa left a little surprise gift in your stocking.
high rated
BranjoHello: However, I can tell you about my absolute favorite present which I gave to my loved ones. It's easy to describe it in detail because it's happening this year and in all honesty I can't wait to see my parents' faces once they open the present. :D
It's a useful present that is also a very good joke thus making it even warmer on the family-holidays-meter.
Earlier this year I noticed that the toilet seat in my folk's bathroom is in pretty bad shape and told them they should definitely get a new one. They replied in total disagreement with my statement and no intention to act upon it.
So, about a month ago I got an idea for their Chritmas present. Bought a toiler seat in color matching the active one and wrapped it very nicely in a gift paper. The gift paper is totally childish and was worth about 1/3 of the actual gift, another funny thing I enjoyed about this whole deal. xD
Santa thinks comfortable bathroom visits are a noble cause indeed. He appreciates your thoughtfulness and left a present in your stocking to show his approvement..

Also, friendly reminder to all, to please let us know if you want to be in for the GA - No mention means we assume you're NOT in.
Post edited December 04, 2019 by skimmie
high rated
skimmie: Santa thinks comfortable bathroom visits are a noble cause indeed. He appreciates your thoughtfulness and left a present in your stocking to show his approvement..
Well, it seems like Santa really appreciates that I'll be relieving my parents of The Suffering they had in their bathroom. :D
Thank you and Happy holidays! :)
high rated
skimmie: Also, friendly reminder to all, to please let us know if you want to be in for the GA - No mention means we assume you're NOT in.
I'm in!

I forget to add that part (same as last year). This thread is too much fun. Easy to forget the footnote. Thanks for the chance.
high rated
Although it's not a tradition, yesterday I saw a guy dressed as Santa Claus riding through my town on a motorcycle / motorbike. I dunno where he was heading off to, but it was pretty funny seeing him go by.
TheBigCore: Although it's not a tradition, yesterday I saw a guy dressed as Santa Claus riding through my town on a motorcycle / motorbike. I dunno where he was heading off to, but it was pretty funny seeing him go by.
They are in my town and in my country for a while now. Charity action, I believe.