It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ask me about Thimbleweed Park.

As a point & click pioneer, it's only fitting that Ron Gilbert gets to be the one to bring them back the way we fondly remember them: as pixel-art, story-heavy affairs, riddled with compelling puzzles and humorous interactions. That was the idea behind <span class="bold">Thimbleweed Park</span> and that's what over 15.600 Kickstarter backers helped him create. As Gilbert himself keeps stressing, this is not an adventure game made exactly the way those classics were made, but one that plays like your memories of these games. There are all manners of modern bells and whistles built within its pixely exterior, and its design has also done away with the unnecessary frustrations of the past while preserving their old-school charm.

We recently spotted the legendary Grumpy Gamer standing outside Thimbleweed Park's city limits, wearing an "Ask Me About Thimbleweed Park" badge - It was hard to resist the urge. For those who want to know more, we're also having a Twitch stream where Memoriesin8bit and Flaose will [LOOK AT] the game and [USE] their questions on Ron Gilbert. Tune in tomorrow, Friday the 31st, at 8 PM UTC on <span class="bold">Twitch.tv/gogcom</span>.

In terms of design, is Thimbleweed Park more closely related to Maniac Mansion or Monkey Island?

Ron: A little of both. The character design is highly influenced by Maniac Mansion, and so is the room layout. But the puzzle design and dialogue borrow more from Monkey Island.

So why the SCUMM interface? Why not use one of the "smart cursor" interfaces that have come since?

Ron: That decision goes back to our goal of recapturing the charm of Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island, and I think the SCUMM verb interface has a lot to do with it. The other big thing is the pixel art. We all love pixel art, not for the nostalgia, but as an art form.

You're making Thimbleweed Park with a small team - most of whom are your past collaborators. You're coding, writing, and designing the game, but also managing the project. Is the experience similar to your LucasFilm days? Was it a conscious decision?

Ron: There are two reasons the team is so small. The first is our attempt to try and recapture the charm of the LucasFilm adventure games. Those were small teams, and small teams can work very differently than large teams -- more nimble, more opportunity for “improv”. The second reason comes down to resources, mostly money. Despite the success of the Kickstarter, we don’t have the money to support a large team. At the height of development, there were around 12 people working on the game.

You've expressed a fair amount of criticism for modern adventure games, but are there any positive lessons to be learned? Did any of those found their way into Thimbleweed?

Ron: I don’t think I’ve been too critical of modern adventure games, I really like some of them. Many modern adventure games – games like Firewatch, Gone Home, and Telltale’s games – are very narrative focused. Narrative is something I’ve always tried to do in my adventure games, but I want to interweave it well with the puzzles.

What do you want people to be saying about Thimbleweed Park five or ten years from now?

Ron: If they are saying anything about Thimbleweed Park 10 years from now, I’ll be happy.

You called this project's inception an experiment to see if you can recreate the charm of the old LucasFilm games. If it proves successful, will your next game be more or less in the same vein or something entirely different?

Ron: I don’t know the answer to that. I don’t tend to think about my next game until I’m done with the current one. If Thimbleweed Park is really successful, I’d love to build another point-and-click game, but I’d probably explore the design at a deeper level than we did for Thimbleweed Park. Do some risky ideas.
Post edited March 30, 2017 by maladr0Id
Someone give this man a medal with a rubber chicken on it. With a pulley in the middle.
Shadowcat: Dear GOG -- "Investigate every pixel" sounds like a complete nightmare [...]
maladr0Id: Damn. And here I was, thinking I'm being sooo clever :/

I mean, it's a pixel-art game with TONS of interactions available to you and the main story revolves around a mystery, and.....
Right, but there's an unavoidable connection to the well-known and generally-despised adventure game activity of "pixel hunting" for that one damned spot on the screen that you need to interact with (often for no discernible reason). Nobody enjoys it when they are forced to resort to pixel hunting. It's not fun gameplay; it's not problem-solving; it's just brute-force drudgery. So unless it's actually true, I don't think it's a good idea to imply that people will be doing a lot of it if they purchase the game...
Shadowcat: Right, but there's an unavoidable connection to the well-known and generally-despised adventure game activity of "pixel hunting" for that one damned spot on the screen that you need to interact with (often for no discernible reason). Nobody enjoys it when they are forced to resort to pixel hunting. It's not fun gameplay; it's not problem-solving; it's just brute-force drudgery. So unless it's actually true, I don't think it's a good idea to imply that people will be doing a lot of it if they purchase the game...
It is true though, there is a very deliberate and literal pixel hunt in this game. ;)

(But AFAIK it's optional.)
Post edited April 01, 2017 by Leroux
A good read! It's always great to sneak into an artist's mind.
Shadowcat: Dear GOG -- "Investigate every pixel" sounds like a complete nightmare, and I'm sure it's not a requirement. I doubt that headline serves the game well. Perhaps you should reconsider your chosen manner of advertising?
maladr0Id: Damn. And here I was, thinking I'm being sooo clever :/

I mean, it's a pixel-art game with TONS of interactions available to you and the main story revolves around a mystery, and.....
I thought it was a fun allusion to the previous pixel hunt games while referencing this game's mystery theme. So, yes on clever.
Glaucos: They didn't ask the question we all wanted to hear:

What would you do in YOUR Monkey Island 3? :D (because LucasArts totally ignored the MI 2 ending...)
They didn't ignore the ending, they merely retooled it to expand upon it. Yeah, there's a time skip between the events of the second and third game, but since technically nothing happens to the protagonist in that time, I think it's fair. I still would have liked to see whatever Gilbert had planned.

Speaking of which, any chance of Curse of Monkey Island showing up here on GOG? I know Disney kinda killed Lucasarts, and I still have my original CDs, but, you know, it'd be really neat.
Glaucos: They didn't ask the question we all wanted to hear:

What would you do in YOUR Monkey Island 3? :D (because LucasArts totally ignored the MI 2 ending...)
Dreadjaws: They didn't ignore the ending, they merely retooled it to expand upon it. Yeah, there's a time skip between the events of the second and third game, but since technically nothing happens to the protagonist in that time, I think it's fair. I still would have liked to see whatever Gilbert had planned.

Speaking of which, any chance of Curse of Monkey Island showing up here on GOG? I know Disney kinda killed Lucasarts, and I still have my original CDs, but, you know, it'd be really neat.
If you read about what Ron had planned, and why he broke with the company back then, was becouse in the end of Monkey island 2 we should have discovered that was all a dream. Period. And that was the piece of art. Not his fault (or ours) if the 'article' was selling back at that time and they didn't want to loose easy money. And that 'fan' alike version was the answer they could keep going. Aaand we ended with escape from Monkey Island, made by one of the chief developers of Sam and Max who (when he found himself at the lead of the project just from one day to another) didn't even play with the firsts two before that. We all saw the results.
Post edited June 04, 2019 by Nicotinecaffeine
timmy010: Please ask him to put the cave on gog
muntdefems: ^
|
\__ What he said.

I'm afraid it doesn't depend on him, though. That game's published by Sega, right?
Then ask Sega, but also tell them to bring some other games while they're at it. :)
I believe The Cave is self-published by Double Fine now, so in theory it should be easy to bring.