It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I have a question to my fellow spanish goggers, i have this friend moving out to spain (work) and he wants to have an idea of much he will spent, we already know that the rent will be around 400€ so now he wants to know (approximately) how much a single person would spent in gas, electricity and water. Oh, and some internet plans recommendation would be nice.
I can't think of any questions to ask right now, but I thought I'd still give this topic a "one year since anyone last posted" bump. It's too interesting and useful to be forgotten about. : )
Thank you, Hunch!
As a single man in his late 20's from the U.S. with an income of 20 -25k a year (usd), what obstacles would I face trying to move say 20 miles west of London trying to rent an apartment in the suburbs?

Or for anyone in the UK...What obstacles would I face trying to find a reasonably priced apartment in your nearest suburb, in your country?
Post edited December 08, 2016 by vidsgame
vidsgame: As a single man in his late 20's from the U.S. with an income of 20 -25k a year (usd), what obstacles would I face trying to move say 20 miles west of London trying to rent an apartment in the suburbs?

Or for anyone in the UK...What obstacles would I face trying to find a reasonably priced apartment in your nearest suburb, in your country?
Apparently all the apartments got filled to overflowing with immigrants already because the EU were to stupid to manage immigration intelligently...... hence the reason for 'brexit'
Respectfull.. well. I still need that dex.. You melted horrible faces. ^^

Edit: I just need friends to play borderlands 2.. woud be nice if my finnish cursing wouldn't be so bad
Post edited December 08, 2016 by Antimateria
vidsgame: As a single man in his late 20's from the U.S. with an income of 20 -25k a year (usd), what obstacles would I face trying to move say 20 miles west of London trying to rent an apartment in the suburbs?

mystikmind2000: Apparently all the apartments got filled to overflowing with immigrants already because the EU were to stupid to manage immigration intelligently...... hence the reason for 'brexit'
Overflowing apartments. I see.
mystikmind2000: Apparently all the apartments got filled to overflowing with immigrants already because the EU were to stupid to manage immigration intelligently...... hence the reason for 'brexit'
vidsgame: Overflowing apartments. I see.
Well i don't live in UK so all i know is what i saw in the media.

I remember seeing some report on the way immigration was structured under the EU and thinking "well that's bizarre".... I'm just some average guy and it seems quite obvious to me that if you enable immigration beyond what a country can manage then its going to cause big problems.... its not rocket science, shit, even a 2 year old child could have understood it.... so i do think it is very bizarre how its possible the EU could be so dumb??? you know... (over and above the typical bureaucratic stupidity you would normally expect)
vidsgame: Overflowing apartments. I see.
mystikmind2000: Well i don't live in UK so all i know is what i saw in the media.

I remember seeing some report on the way immigration was structured under the EU and thinking "well that's bizarre".... I'm just some average guy and it seems quite obvious to me that if you enable immigration beyond what a country can manage then its going to cause big problems.... its not rocket science, shit, even a 2 year old child could have understood it.... so i do think it is very bizarre how its possible the EU could be so dumb??? you know... (over and above the typical bureaucratic stupidity you would normally expect)
What kind of problems would I face moving say 20 miles west of Sydney or where you're from?
The cheapest rent you'd find 20 miles west of London would be by living in somewhere completely unglamorous like Slough, for which you'd pay 9 or 10k GBP ($12.5k) a year for a one bed apartment.

If you commute to Central London by train for work, you'll need to pay roughly $4k USD per year for an annual season ticket

Council tax will add another $1.2k a year.

That's $17.7k already, before you even start paying for electricity, gas, water, internet, TV, phone, and food.

It's not looking good.
Post edited December 08, 2016 by Asbeau
mystikmind2000: Well i don't live in UK so all i know is what i saw in the media.

vidsgame: What kind of problems would I face moving say 20 miles west of Sydney or where you're from?
Yea I'm in Sydney....

Housing or even rental prices are insane in Sydney. And regional areas around Sydney are very very very poorly linked.... shiftul restrictive pathetic roads with traffic lights every 20 metres...... parked cars in the left lanes and stopped cars turning right in the right lanes! (our right is your left).

Getting out of Sydney is easier towards the south.... the North and West are frankly a national disgrace.... You know there is just one twin lane motorway heading north (M1)... for a city with over 4 million people! And getting through the Blue Mountains to the west.... just two single lane winding roads A32 and B59 and north west is just two single lane goat track winding roads.

Sydney would be the perfect target for terrorists since no one could get out of the place in an emergency because the access roads are so lacking.

Anyway... if you went far enough west of Sydney into the NSW central plains.... some dead country town with a population of 3 people and a half dead dog.... you can buy 3 bedroom houses for like 10 grand! Great if you dont need a job! lol
Asbeau: The cheapest rent you'd find 20 miles west of London would be by living in somewhere completely unglamorous like Slough, for which you'd pay 9 or 10k GBP ($12.5k) a year for a one bed apartment.

If you commute to Central London by train for work, you'll need to pay roughly $4k USD per year for an annual season ticket

Council tax will add another $1.2k a year.

That's $17.7k already, before you even start paying for electricity, gas, water, internet, TV, phone, and food.

It's not looking good.
About 1K a month. Roughly the same as here without utilities.

What about driving instead of the Train?
Actually i lied.... make that twenty thousand....

"a one bedroom, one bathroom home at Vernon St, Korong Vale for only $20,000. There is a fireplace in the lounge, but as you can see from the pictures, it is a little breezy.
VERNON St, Korong Vale, Victoria is listed as a “golden opportunity’’ within a short driv"

http://api.news.com.au/content/1.0/adelaidenow/images/1226845538300?format=jpg
vidsgame: What kind of problems would I face moving say 20 miles west of Sydney or where you're from?
mystikmind2000: Yea I'm in Sydney....

Housing or even rental prices are insane in Sydney. And regional areas around Sydney are very very very poorly linked.... shiftul restrictive pathetic roads with traffic lights every 20 metres...... parked cars in the left lanes and stopped cars turning right in the right lanes! (our right is your left).

Getting out of Sydney is easier towards the south.... the North and West are frankly a national disgrace.... You know there is just one twin lane motorway heading north (M1)... for a city with over 4 million people! And getting through the Blue Mountains to the west.... just two single lane winding roads A32 and B59 and north west is just two single lane goat track winding roads.

Sydney would be the perfect target for terrorists since no one could get out of the place in an emergency because the access roads are so lacking.

Anyway... if you went far enough west of Sydney into the NSW central plains.... some dead country town with a population of 3 people and a half dead dog.... you can buy 3 bedroom houses for like 10 grand! Great if you dont need a job! lol
Sounds like a clusterfest. "3 people and a half dead dog" That made me giggle. That poor town dog.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
Actually i lied.... make that twenty thousand....

"a one bedroom, one bathroom home at Vernon St, Korong Vale for only $20,000. There is a fireplace in the lounge, but as you can see from the pictures, it is a little breezy.
VERNON St, Korong Vale, Victoria is listed as a “golden opportunity’’ within a short driv"

http://api.news.com.au/content/1.0/adelaidenow/images/1226845538300?format=jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Looks like a shanty. Needs roofing.
Post edited December 08, 2016 by vidsgame
vidsgame: About 1K a month. Roughly the same as here without utilities.

What about driving instead of the Train?
Basically impossible due to traffic and the difficulty of finding somewhere to park.

It would also be far more expensive than the train - even if you could find a reliable daily parking spot the costs would be astronomical, and there's also a congestion charge of £11.50 per day for vehicles driving in to the city. Fuel costs are also higher here than in the US.