It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector is now available on GOG.COM!

Experience every bone-rattling explosion and soul-crushing charge in the definitive battle-scale game of turn-based strategy and fast-paced combat that takes you to the battlefields of the 41st Millenium.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Could be wrong but that bit about in-game purchases seems like one of those cases where paragraphs are just lazily copy-pasted from a general template without checking if what's described is valid in/applies to the specific case in the first place.
MartiusR:
MischiefMaker:
Thanks to you both for answering. So yes, it seems the part about 'in-app purchases' was probably from some boilerplate unity text that was copy-pasted. That's good to know!

So, the SP game seems not to be DRM-ed; however, the online MP is, since it requires a third-party user account. I agree it is good that the game provides a hot-seat MP mode (more turn-based strategy games should provide that, imo). So, the game can be played multiplayer without DRM, but only with the hot-seat.
low rated
Zimerius: Of course the information requested is available on both the game forum and the developers page/faq page but that is something else entirely.
Time4Tea: The game forum contains 2 threads that were started by users and contains no information relating to Lifthrasil's questions. Which developer page/FAQ are you referring to?

Zimerius: i would also urge you to take a look at the post from mr. Gersen, the one right above your first response to mine
Time4Tea: The main concern for me (which many in this thread seem to be evading) is whether the game includes in-game purchases and the DRM that would presumably be required to facilitate that. Gersen's post doesn't address that.
Well, there is of course the official FAQ found on the slitherine page. I've posted this in a topic on the general gog forum channel

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=642&t=106203&p=931932#p931932

and regarding data collection it is the standard data collecting procedure that comes with unity games

A message from Unity about data privacy
Unity Analytics collects gameplay and device data if you are a player of games made with Unity. We collect this information to improve Unity-built games by providing analytics, diagnostic, and usage information to developers.

Information we obtain from these devices includes:
Device attributes: information such as the operating system, hardware and software versions, platform, screen size, and CPU/graphics characteristics.

Usage data: information about how you use the application. For example, day of first session, day of last session, session length.

Location data: specifically, the country.

In-app purchase data: if you perform financial transactions (such as when you make a purchase in a game), we collect information about the purchase. This includes purchase amounts and number of purchases.

Custom event game data these are specific in-game events that some games collect, and are contextual to the game. For example, level start, enemy count, player health are all examples of custom event data.

Identifiers and network: device IDs and IP address. Note that for security purposes, we do not expose this information.

Third Party Sharing and their Uses:
Unity uses the above types of data to allow game developers and publishers to tune their games for player devices and create personalized gaming experiences.

Exercising your Rights
Under the CCPA, individuals have the ability to exercise a variety of privacy rights, including:

Data Disclosure: You may order your data report by providing your email below. You will receive a secure link to obtain your report

Opt Out You may choose to opt out of data collection. Please note that this will result in a non-personalized game experience.*

Unity is committed to the responsible collection and use of player data - and enhancing privacy safeguards.

*For California Residents: Please note that under California law, we are a service provider with

respect to analytics data services and therefore are not selling your data.

Despite this, we offer you a chance to opt-out. You can find more information at

https://unity3d.com/legal/do-not-sell-my-personal-information Thank you for playing games Made with Unity.

concerning your question

there is no such thing as in-game purchases
MischiefMaker:
Time4Tea: Thanks to you both for answering. So yes, it seems the part about 'in-app purchases' was probably from some boilerplate unity text that was copy-pasted. That's good to know!

So, the SP game seems not to be DRM-ed; however, the online MP is, since it requires a third-party user account. I agree it is good that the game provides a hot-seat MP mode (more turn-based strategy games should provide that, imo). So, the game can be played multiplayer without DRM, but only with the hot-seat.
lol!
Post edited July 24, 2021 by Zimerius
Zimerius: Bla bla bla
You can't blame Unity for developer laziness. It doesn't matter what engine they use if they can't be bothered to uncheck simple box.

Furthermore, it's not industry standard to collect data like that, it's only Unity who does that.
low rated
Zimerius: Bla bla bla
ConanTheBald: You can't blame Unity for developer laziness. It doesn't matter what engine they use if they can't be bothered to uncheck simple box.

Furthermore, it's not industry standard to collect data like that, it's only Unity who does that.
Oh please, the collection of these sets of data are quite common in a lot of practices, from every online service to a lot of triple a devies

open your eyes before i think you must an idiot! you clearly did not read a privacy policy ever! as you seem to be a bit retarded with finding public information regarding data mining ( ooooooh )

here, let me make it easy for you. here's SEGA's privacy policy, pro tip use the online dictionary or translator for words or sentences that are not instantly clear

https://www.sega.com/Privacy
Zimerius: Oh please, the collection of these sets of data are quite common in a lot of practices, from every online service to a lot of triple a devies

open your eyes before i think you must an idiot! you clearly did not read a privacy policy ever! as you seem to be a bit retarded with finding public information regarding data mining ( ooooooh )
Calling other people 'retarded' because they don't agree with your opinions is a bit unreasonable, don't you think?
Gersen: There you go : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_games most of those game in this list after 2016 or 2017 have the same telemetry unless the devs specifically disabled it.
Thanks. From a quick skim, it doesn't look like I own or had interest in any of the affected titles. I'll be sure to reference that list before I make future purchases.
You know, if you guys really wanna do review-bombing campaigns, maybe pick an EA or Bethesda game, not a small indie studio working with the tools they have at hand.

Worth noting: 4/5 verified owner average, 2/5 with the review-bombers who never even tried the game.
Post edited July 25, 2021 by MischiefMaker
Gersen: There you go : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_games most of those game in this list after 2016 or 2017 have the same telemetry unless the devs specifically disabled it.
Serren: Thanks. From a quick skim, it doesn't look like I own or had interest in any of the affected titles. I'll be sure to reference that list before I make future purchases.
I would be cautious of the caveat in Gersen's post: "... unless the devs specifically disabled it." It is possible that the developers for some of those other games may have disabled data mining options in Unity. I recommend assessing each game on a case-by-case basis, rather than jumping to the conclusion that they are all guilty just because they use Unity.

Do Hollow Knight, Dusk, Hellpoint all employ this data mining?
Post edited July 25, 2021 by Time4Tea
Serren: Thanks. From a quick skim, it doesn't look like I own or had interest in any of the affected titles. I'll be sure to reference that list before I make future purchases.
Time4Tea: I would be cautious of the caveat in Gersen's post: "... unless the devs specifically disabled it." It is possible that the developers for some of those other games may have disabled data mining options in Unity. I recommend assessing each game on a case-by-case basis, rather than jumping to the conclusion that they are all guilty just because they use Unity.

Absolutely agree.

If someone has spare time they could create list of games that use these draconian methods. You know, like we have list of multiplayer DRM and the sort.

MischiefMaker: You know, if you guys really wanna do review-bombing campaigns, maybe pick an EA or Bethesda game, not a small indie studio working with the tools they have at hand.

Worth noting: 4/5 verified owner average, 2/5 with the review-bombers who never even tried the game.
It doesn't matter what company does this or how big they are. Their unacceptable datamining is what matters regardless of who did it.

The review system is broken and I'm waiting for Gogs answer for two weeks now. Wondering how long it takes for them to even look into this problem. And I'm not talking about bombing campaigns.
Post edited July 25, 2021 by ConanTheBald
MischiefMaker: Worth noting: 4/5 verified owner average, 2/5 with the review-bombers who never even tried the game.
Thats only because once you refund a game, you no longer count as a verified owner, for the purposes of that score.
Post edited July 25, 2021 by edorien
low rated
Zimerius: Oh please, the collection of these sets of data are quite common in a lot of practices, from every online service to a lot of triple a devies

Time4Tea: Calling other people 'retarded' because they don't agree with your opinions is a bit unreasonable, don't you think?
Sure, take on a parenting role, your already setting yourself up bigtime, are you sure you even want to walk down this road? cmon shutup and realise you have a grown up in front of you ( yes i'm making this very easy for you, lets see your education and moral standards shine poobear )
Time4Tea: I would be cautious of the caveat in Gersen's post: "... unless the devs specifically disabled it." It is possible that the developers for some of those other games may have disabled data mining options in Unity. I recommend assessing each game on a case-by-case basis, rather than jumping to the conclusion that they are all guilty just because they use Unity.

I appreciate the sentiment but I'm not that concerned about a few games slipping through the cracks. If I happen to hear that a specific Unity-based title is good and also doesn't contain spyware, I'll take a look, but it isn't worth it to go out of my way to make that distinction. There are plenty of good non-Unity games which aren't potentially laden with malware, or at least less likely to be, and my time is limited.
ConanTheBald: You can't blame Unity for developer laziness. It doesn't matter what engine they use if they can't be bothered to uncheck simple box.

here, let me make it easy for you. here's SEGA's privacy policy, pro tip use the online dictionary or translator for words or sentences that are not instantly clear

https://www.sega.com/Privacy
I have read plenty of end user licenses and privacy policies. I don't care what you think of me if you can't even be bothered to read through my post. What other people think of your intelligence is probably shown by the downvotes your post recieived.

All sort of data collection and spying activities are regulated by law. Why any of those companies haven't been taken to court yet is beyond me.
Good thread here. I posted to ask if there is a list anywhere of Unity games that use telemetry (without it being opt-in).