It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans & Warcraft 2 Battle.net Edition are now available DRM-free.

In anticipation of the upcoming 25th anniversary of Warcraft, we brought you the real-time strategy classics that started it all, Warcraft: Orcs and Humans and Warcraft II Battle.net Edition, including both the original Tides of Darkness and the Beyond the Dark Portal expansion. Starting today, you can once again explore these universe-defining games as they become available digitally and DRM-free for the first time ever!

The first part of the legendary series plays and feels just like the original from 1994, it’s just updated to run flawlessly on modern operating systems. Warcraft II Battle.net Edition, similarly to the release of first Diablo on GOG.COM, comes in two versions, which you can choose from the launcher. The classic one allows for the authentic experience and a fully functional multiplayer with Blizzard’s Battle.net online gaming service. The updated version comes with a number of fixes to provide full compatibility with modern machines as well as hi-resolution support and upscaling.
I've just finished campaign of humans in Warcraft 2: Tide of Darkness (a couple of years ago when I was playing in retail version I've finished only orc's campaign).

It's really surprising how awfully PASSIVE is AI on this level. There are entire hordes of "black" orcs who have plenty of buildings and units, yet they're not gathering resources nor producing new units. In fact the one and only team which is active is "gray" team (sending dragons regularly, but at some point just gathering them.

So far in skirmish mode AI seems also to be a bit lame. It can't even deal with some scenarios made in map editor (e.g. they're making production and gathering troops, but only ground, without making any units on sea, then... Waiting passively)

By some reason I''ve got an impression that I had better experience with retail version of the game (more challenging in skirmish mode, more active in campaigns). Isn't this one somehow... broken? I've played in classic version so far.
Post edited April 07, 2019 by MartiusR
Reglisse: Awesome!!!
I don't like RTS games but today I was thinking...Warcraft on GOG when?
Premonition?

Now if only Diablo 2 was possible to be buy here...I know you need a miracle for that but I can dream ^^

Edit:Would be nice to get a list of Oldies needed here.
I wouldn't be surrpised if Diablo 2 becomes available here in the relative near future. Considering how many of us got our Battlenet version by redeeming our CD key, it seems like a no-brainer to bring the game here knowing that it'll need to be bought rather than redeeming a copy that we already bought.
hedwards: I wouldn't be surrpised if Diablo 2 becomes available here in the relative near future. Considering how many of us got our Battlenet version by redeeming our CD key, it seems like a no-brainer to bring the game here knowing that it'll need to be bought rather than redeeming a copy that we already bought.
Optimism, I was not expecting that here. Refreshing.
low rated
rtcvb32: While an unexpected gain, i wonder what that says about Blizzard right now...
what are you talking about, please stop plugging your videos
StarChan: Hey you guys informing us that STARCRAFT is available on Battlenet, DRM-ultra-light or even DRM free. Fine. But I don't care! I want it here, in GOGs catalog. I'd even pay a small price to get it available here and not having to go to another storefront to get a download.

Why? I just do. I know that somewhere in this house where I live there is a boxed copy of Starcraft. I've seen it. Norwegian edition with words on it in Norwegian, impressively localized in an age when physical copies were the norm. Actually I think I've seen it rather recently. It has the face of a Protoss on it.

Bet I could install it and play it. Then I wouldn't need Starcraft to be on GOG. But even so, I want it here. Because. Reasons.
"I just do." ??? What is the difference if you can just play it on the bnet client lol. 'because reasons' LOL
Post edited April 08, 2019 by malacanang
rtcvb32: While an unexpected gain, i wonder what that says about Blizzard right now...
malacanang: what are you talking about, please stop plugging your videos
StarChan: Hey you guys informing us that STARCRAFT is available on Battlenet, DRM-ultra-light or even DRM free. Fine. But I don't care! I want it here, in GOGs catalog. I'd even pay a small price to get it available here and not having to go to another storefront to get a download.

Why? I just do. I know that somewhere in this house where I live there is a boxed copy of Starcraft. I've seen it. Norwegian edition with words on it in Norwegian, impressively localized in an age when physical copies were the norm. Actually I think I've seen it rather recently. It has the face of a Protoss on it.

Bet I could install it and play it. Then I wouldn't need Starcraft to be on GOG. But even so, I want it here. Because. Reasons.
malacanang: "I just do." ??? What is the difference if you can just play it on the bnet client lol. 'because reasons' LOL
I highly doubt that RTCVB32 is from romania.
The channel he linked too is "Vee" and Vee is from romania, in case you were wondering why I made that statement.
Post edited April 08, 2019 by Lord_Kane
I'd like to see Starcraft here because it and Broodwar have probably over 22k votes, and it'd be nice to see those completed given the opportunity. (road to 2 mil votes completed baby!)
MartiusR: By some reason I''ve got an impression that I had better experience with retail version of the game (more challenging in skirmish mode, more active in campaigns). Isn't this one somehow... broken?
I've wondered about that as well, in many levels with multiple enemies there's only one enemy really building units and attacking you. On the whole rather passive behaviour.
On the other hand, I played much of the WC2 original campaigns 20 years ago, and as far as I remember it was pretty much the same back then.
So I don't really think it's broken...though one could easily get that impression.
hedwards: I wouldn't be surrpised if Diablo 2 becomes available here in the relative near future. Considering how many of us got our Battlenet version by redeeming our CD key, it seems like a no-brainer to bring the game here knowing that it'll need to be bought rather than redeeming a copy that we already bought.
tfishell: Optimism, I was not expecting that here. Refreshing.
I've got both the CDs and the Battle.net version, but I don't see any reason for them to keep that one locked up on their site at this point, they've probably made all the sales they'll make there. Adding it here would probably get people that wouldn't otherwise have bought and may convince people who already did buy to buy another copy.

But, who knows, I'm not really sure what other games Blizzard has that aren't either freeware or only available via Battlenet at the present. Seems like quite a bit of effort for such a small section of their back catalog.

With sales like they've had so far, it wouldn't surprise me if they changed their mind and started licensing more of their back catalog.
tfishell: I'd like to see Starcraft here because it and Broodwar have probably over 22k votes, and it'd be nice to see those completed given the opportunity. (road to 2 mil votes completed baby!)
Having replayed SC, I'm having a hard time remembering why I liked playing it. The pace of it is so slow and the options for cotnroling units are pretty limited.

Perhaps if my friends weren't too busy with children, I could get involved with some friendly multiplay. I've never liked playing random strangers online.
Post edited April 08, 2019 by hedwards

malacanang: "I just do." ??? What is the difference if you can just play it on the bnet client lol. 'because reasons' LOL
I suppose I'm not to take it too seriously, this semi-hysterical, kind of butthurt LOLism of yours, directed at someone who wants a game to be in GOG's catalog. Obviously, with your 4 owned games you're not in the habit of bying much on this storefront anyway. But I'll pretend for a moment that it is to be taken seriously, and this is what I have to say:

Wanting Starcraft to be here is about supporting an outfit which takes a stand against DRM. It's about wanting to reinforce that venture with every game that I buy and knowing that profits are channeled into producing new, DRM-free games raher than making some enterprising dev one of the 100 richest men in the US. Reasons enough?
Post edited April 08, 2019 by StarChan
low rated

"I just do." ??? What is the difference if you can just play it on the bnet client lol. 'because reasons' LOL
StarChan: I suppose I'm not to take it too seriously, this semi-hysterical, kind of butthurt LOLism of yours, directed at someone who wants a game to be in GOG's catalog. Obviously, with your 4 owned games you're not in the habit of bying much on this storefront anyway. But I'll pretend for a moment that it is to be taken seriously, and this is what I have to say:

Wanting Starcraft to be here is about supporting an outfit which takes a stand against DRM. It's about wanting to reinforce that venture with every game that I buy and knowing that profits are channeled into producing new, DRM-free games raher than making some enterprising dev one of the 100 richest men in the US. Reasons enough?
just play the game and stop dramatizing the re-releases. its from the 90s. you aren't taking a stand against anything, you're just sitting down and complaining. you probably don't even know how to play warcraft 2 lol

what 'outfit' are you referring to?
what do you stand to gain if warcraft or starcraft were DRM free?
profits directed from where to whom?
you're just a clueless person, sorry :(
Post edited April 09, 2019 by malacanang
StarChan: I suppose I'm not to take it too seriously, this semi-hysterical, kind of butthurt LOLism of yours, directed at someone who wants a game to be in GOG's catalog. Obviously, with your 4 owned games you're not in the habit of bying much on this storefront anyway. But I'll pretend for a moment that it is to be taken seriously, and this is what I have to say:

malacanang: what 'outfit' are you referring to?
UnfortunatelyI have neither the time nor the patience to educate you. I believe it's way past your bedtime anyway.
Post edited April 09, 2019 by StarChan
malacanang: what 'outfit' are you referring to?
StarChan: UnfortunatelyI have neither the time nor the patience to educate you. I believe it's way past your bedtime anyway.
Then why reply at all? It's going to be taken as if you don't have any information to share, whether or not you do.
low rated
StarChan: UnfortunatelyI have neither the time nor the patience to educate you. I believe it's way past your bedtime anyway.
hedwards: Then why reply at all? It's going to be taken as if you don't have any information to share, whether or not you do.
Much as I resent your judgmental reply, I will address your question as well as your claim:

Then why reply at all? I'm in a forum exchange. When in an exchange, you reply.

It's going to be taken as if you don't have any information to share, whether or not you do. I doubt your assessment is universal here. On the contrary, leaving no reply, as you suggest, would definitely give that impression.

The other poster is free to seek out the answers to his questions online. As for your moralizing attitude, there is no such easy fix.

Edit: Removal of content, moderation of tone.
Post edited April 09, 2019 by StarChan
hedwards: Then why reply at all? It's going to be taken as if you don't have any information to share, whether or not you do.
StarChan: Is that how you relate to people in 'real life' situations? Just leaving without saying goodbye? Treating people to silence?
Yes. And I still don't get why I'm so popular. I literally do most of the things that people aren't supposed to do if they want company.

Also, this is the Internet, most of the time people don't even notice if there's no follow up. Maybe if this were a chatroom, but otherwise it doesn't seem particularly worth the effort.
StarChan: Is that how you relate to people in 'real life' situations? Just leaving without saying goodbye? Treating people to silence?
hedwards: Yes. And I still don't get why I'm so popular. I literally do most of the things that people aren't supposed to do if they want company.

Also, this is the Internet, most of the time people don't even notice if there's no follow up. Maybe if this were a chatroom, but otherwise it doesn't seem particularly worth the effort.
Check my reply again. I felt it came across as somewhat acidic, so I edited it towards addressing your concern. Still has some corrosive effect, I fear. Anyway, thanks for your answer.