It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Update: Void Bastards OST is now available. Get it 15% off until July 9th, 5pm UTC.

Void Bastards is now available DRM-free.

Inspired by BioShock and System Shock 2, Void Bastards is a revolutionary new strategy-shooter that will test your wits as well as exercise your aim. Can you lead the misfit prisoners of the Void Ark through the derelict spaceships and myriad dangers of the Sargasso Nebula?
Pyromancer138: Nobody cares about second-class citizens.
falloutttt: well, second-class citizens can say something like, "go fuck a pony", and start pirating all those games instead of buying them. now I wonder what devs have to say about that...
Pirated copies won't have achievements either.
omega64: Nope, asked on Discord. Not getting them here.
TheGreatDustpan: Was any particular reason given?
Taking the time to add them would take time away from bringing out content or patches so they won't.
low rated
omega64: Taking the time to add them would take time away from bringing out content or patches so they won't.
That's unfortunate that it sounds like a hassle to implement GOG achievement support compared to Steam. Thanks for the info.
Post edited June 12, 2019 by TheGreatDustpan
omega64: Taking the time to add them would take time away from bringing out content or patches so they won't.
TheGreatDustpan: That's unfortunate that it sounds like a hassle to implement GOG achievement support compared to Steam. Thanks for the info.
I think it takes more or less the same time as it takes to add them on Steam, but since they consider us second class customers they won't bother adding them.

Personally, I've gotten fed up with these disrespectful attitudes towards us and other developers who are trying to offer a complete game in all its parts (and they are many fortunately) so I'll be voting with my wallet.
low rated
falloutttt: well, second-class citizens can say something like, "go fuck a pony", and start pirating all those games instead of buying them. now I wonder what devs have to say about that...
Mean.Jim: Pirated copies won't have achievements either.
that's not what it's all about.
Looks interesting, it has an awesome art design, I like the System Shock and BioShock influences, but I'm not really sold on the whole "tactical" aspect. Maybe someone on GOG's official twitch channel does a release stream? Release streams have been sorely lackluster on GOG's channel, sadly, but hopefully this game gets one, because it looks very interesting but some aspects of it are kind of throwing me off.

Then again, it's on my wishlist, and even if I do end up liking what I see, the Cyberpunk 2077 pre-order I did two days ago set me back quite a bit, economically, so I'm probably not buying Void Bastards anytime soon, anyway.
groze: Looks interesting, it has an awesome art design, I like the System Shock and BioShock influences, but I'm not really sold on the whole "tactical" aspect. Maybe someone on GOG's official twitch channel does a release stream? Release streams have been sorely lackluster on GOG's channel, sadly, but hopefully this game gets one, because it looks very interesting but some aspects of it are kind of throwing me off.

Then again, it's on my wishlist, and even if I do end up liking what I see, the Cyberpunk 2077 pre-order I did two days ago set me back quite a bit, economically, so I'm probably not buying Void Bastards anytime soon, anyway.
The Steam page has broadcasts playing. But hopefully GOG does some as well..

https://store.steampowered.com/app/857980/Void_Bastards/

Bellow is a copy and paste of my thoughts on the game from the GOG announcement thread. I bought it on Steam when the studio had no plans to release on GOG. I wish I had waited haha. It happened so fast.

I hope they do a GOG connect. Hell, I would be happy if they even did a nice launch discount for SS2 owners like they did on Steam or a nice discount for people that bought it on Steam. If that were at all possible.

I hope this gives you more of an idea of what the game is like and if it is something you would want to play.

"The game is mechanically and artistically really good. It's use of player agency is really well done and utilizes sound very well. It has that in common with System Shock 2. However, it differs beyond that. It is a rouge lite with minimal story. However, what story it has is nicely tied in with it's game mechanics. If i had to compare it structurally to a game I would say it is most similar to Crypt ark in its execution insofar as how weapon load out, skill tree and mission selection occurs. Characters and character perks (in the form of buffs and debuffs) are randomized after every death. But skill tree perks and weapons are carried over. Yet it's combat game play takes place in a 3d environment as opposed to Crypt arks bullet hell 2 d environment.

The player agency also has added dimensions as to how you can manipulate your environment and use the environment to deal with enemies in a way that is similar to System Shock, SS2, and Prey 2017. But in a limited fashion as the levels repeat due to the rouge like nature. I wish there was a bit more variety to the environments as they do feel a bit repetitious after a point. This is dealt with by difficulty spikes and enemies changing drastically and increasing as you get to more difficult areas.

The environmental execution is excellent as is the combat. It is a strategy game where management of inventory is very key.....not so much pew pew pewing waves of enemies or a linear corridor shooter .

It is definitely worth getting. I find it more engaging then most rouge like games. IMO"
Post edited June 12, 2019 by greyhat
Mawthra: GOG Connect would’ve been awesome for the people who just got it on Steam a few weeks ago :(
Agreed. Especially considering many people were asking numerous times about a GOG release at their Discord, Twitter, and on Steam. Their official answer was that there was no immediate plans for a GOG release. The 1 week later the GOG announcement popped up.

I love that they brought it to GOG and I understand that GOGs curation can be difficult. However, even when they were saying there was no immediate plans it actually must have been already in the works by GOG.

Some one had to know. All they had to say was we are looking into a DRM free release. Stay tuned. :)

It will sit in my wish list for the time being. I am hoping they will extend some sort of Olive Branch to purchasers on Steam just based on the timing.

However, aside from the fact that I cant help but think it could have been communicated better. No one forced me to buy it on Steam. In most cases I would have just waited a while. But I wanted to try the game and support it. Even though I was on the fence about it because it was on Steam.

So here we are. This just reaffirms my preference to wait for GOG releases. I will buy the game again at some point on GOG But I am hoping the developers read this and make some concessions. :)

Despite my reservations I want to thank them for releasing the game at GOG. Well done on that front. But please, and I repeat, communicate better next time if you are able. That is all we really ask. :)

In regards to the achievements I see people talking about (or lack there of) ...personally I dont have an issue with no achievements.

But I understand that others do. But in my case, and I am sure it is the case with a lot of others, I dont play with galaxy running so achievements dont mean a thing. The fact that play with out the client is possible probably effects the choice to include achievements or not. If many players wont benefit from them it might seem like wasted effort on the developers part. I think having a DRM free game trumps achievement support any day. Even on Steam I never pay attention to them. I have always been of the mind if developers want acheivments in a game make them integrated in the game not reliant on a specific platform.

This would make the work load lighter for the devs and still give people the achievements . Fallout New Vegas did it....though I never payed attention to those either. It is just my opinion and it does not mean much.

If we are talking about GOG users being treated with less preference then other platform users then I would rather focus on more simultaneous day one launches of noteworthy games like Void Bastards
Basically, I want developers and publishers to take GOG a bit more seriously as a good platform.

Also, just an aside. But I think Galaxy 2.0 will make achievement integration easier as it supports more cross platform features.
Post edited June 13, 2019 by greyhat
greyhat: I hope they do a GOG connect. Hell, I would be happy if they even did a nice launch discount for SS2 owners like they did on Steam or a nice discount for people that bought it on Steam. If that were at all possible.
Yah, I got it on Steam cause the price was so good for already having SS2 on there, plus I was convinced it wouldn't land on GOG for quite some time, if at all, based on what I was reading from the devs... so sadly GOG missed out... if it had launched on both at the same time, i would have 100% bought it here even if there weren't a sale on it, but now... with no sale and having played the game and really love it... I do think the asking price is about $10 too much... should be more like a $19.99 with no sale... it's crazy fun, but it does get very repetitive, but the kind of repetitive that you can overlook a bit cause overall it's a really unique/fun game.... I'll wait for a deep discount on GOG to pick it up again or a GOG Connect, but that's less likely
Post edited June 13, 2019 by Mawthra
greyhat: I hope they do a GOG connect. Hell, I would be happy if they even did a nice launch discount for SS2 owners like they did on Steam or a nice discount for people that bought it on Steam. If that were at all possible.
Mawthra: Yah, I got it on Steam cause the price was so good for already having SS2 on there, plus I was convinced it wouldn't land on GOG for quite some time, if at all, based on what I was reading from the devs... so sadly GOG missed out... if it had launched on both at the same time, i would have 100% bought it here even if there weren't a sale on it
I am in the same position. I would have gladly bought it at GOG...if I had known it was going to be here.

I agree about the repetitiveness of the game after a time. Like you I overlook it as the game is fun. However, this type of structure is pretty standard with rouge lite games. Despite that I am still playing after 13 hours. Kind of a record for me with games of this structure. I hope the developers do a gog connect or offer some sort of discount. I felt the SS2 discount on Steam was a fair price. It was a bit more for me as my pricing is in Canadian currency. I believe it was around 22 to 24 dollars. The game is priced at 33 at full price on my end. Which is not bad.....and I would have gladly payed that. I am just hesitant to buy games twice. Especially when the launch just happened.

I also hope the developers make a more fleshed out game in the Void Bastards universe with the same emergent game play structure and art style focusing on player agency. They are definitely on to something here.
Post edited June 13, 2019 by greyhat
falloutttt: Add achievements and all the extra.

You added them to steam, why not GOG ?
At least you own the game on gog, steam is drm.
omega64:
Gotta love being someone's sloppy seconds.
falloutttt: that's not what it's all about.
Then what is it about? You can buy the game here without DRM, that's all I care about. Maybe I'm getting old, but I play games for fun. I don't care for little achievement popups telling me I'm a good boy and I dun sumthin' good to have fun in a game. You want your achievements, trading cards, and all the other little crack nuggets, there's a place for that and it's called Steam. Good games don't need achievements. Achievements are psychologically engineered to hook you and distract you from noticing that the game you're playing is crap.
falloutttt: that's not what it's all about.
Mean.Jim: Then what is it about? You can buy the game here without DRM, that's all I care about. Maybe I'm getting old, but I play games for fun. I don't care for little achievement popups telling me I'm a good boy and I dun sumthin' good to have fun in a game. You want your achievements, trading cards, and all the other little crack nuggets, there's a place for that and it's called Steam. Good games don't need achievements. Achievements are psychologically engineered to hook you and distract you from noticing that the game you're playing is crap.
You'll understand in your own time. Don't force things, go with the flow.
But they are 100% off.
It's just bad project planning.

One can also not plan the time for bug tracking and fixing, it would be as bad a reason.
.Ra: At least you own the game on gog, steam is drm.
That is besides the point.

Telling a slave that it has at least a roof above its head doesn't change the fact it's a slave.
Post edited June 13, 2019 by Zoidberg