It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Train Valley and Train Valley 2 are now available DRM-free. Get them up to -80% until August 5th, 1pm UTC, with additional 20% off discount applicable when completing the series.

Train Valley is a train tycoon puzzle game. Build an efficient railroad, upgrade your locomotives, and keep all trains on track to meet the ever-growing demand of the cities and industries in your tiny valley.
mk47at: I've got the Steam version a while ago, because I thought it would not get here. That one's drm-free as well.

The problem is: The Windows version can save the settings and progress to either the registry or Steam userdata. The Linux version cannot access the registry, so it has to use Steam. So I ended up using the Windows version in wine.
W3irdN3rd: Save games should be files, they don't belong in the registry.
Tell that to the devs of Hyperlight Drifter.
IronArcturus: Does Train Valley 2 do the same thing?
I don't know where it stores its saves, but liamdawe wrote on GOL that it works.
InkPanther: It looks like the problem is still there. I've completed one mission, restarted the game and that progress was gone.
Zoidberg: Quite unprofessional. I'll skip it for now then.
Likewise. At the current price, I was willing to re-buy it (and buy the Germany DLC for the first time) here if the Linux version worked properly.
Yes. Thank you. Now I can finally find out, if they are as fun as I believe/hope they are. :-)
These are very nice games. I already own the first one on Humble (and also completed it a while ago), but I will rebuy the whole bundle to support the developers.
So how does the GOG version of Train Valley 1 save on Windows? Files or Registry?
Wish GOG would sell Lionel's "TrainTown Deluxe" instead.
Crap! I've came here just to confirm my decision to buy - and that save issue for Linux version seems to be a blocker for me... Strange that such problem is still not fixed. It would be better for publisher and gamers just to cancel Linux version and suggest users to use Wine.
dudalb: Wish GOG would sell Lionel's "TrainTown Deluxe" instead.
The thing is, Lionel is a big brand, and that requires a cargo load of dosh to license.

But maybe not. GOG did recently get Cyberstorm who had the same dev as this game; perhaps you can touch it on the wishlist.
ssokolow: I bought Train Valley 1 in a Humble Store sale a couple of weeks ago. (for a higher price, as a matter of fact) Fun concept, but I discovered that their DRM-free Linux build wouldn't save my progress.

I still have an open ticket on Humble regarding that. (A Humble support person just sent me an e-mail a couple of days ago to let me know that they're still working on it and they haven't forgotten me.)

Does anyone know if GOG missed the same problem here when preparing the non-Galaxy installers?
I think I missed something in your post the first time ... is the save issue only applicable to the Linux build? Does it save properly on Windows?
dudalb: Wish GOG would sell Lionel's "TrainTown Deluxe" instead.
I still have that on CD. Maybe some day. Hopefully when Voxel Tycoon get's released on early access, it will land on these shores.
Post edited July 30, 2019 by oldschool
oldschool: ...Voxel Tycoon...
I have this bookmarked, though I'm not certain why exactly, probably due to my nostalgia for Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Is there a connection between this and traintown, or just wishful thinking.
I've only played Train Valley 1, but it is fantastic!
ssokolow: I bought Train Valley 1 in a Humble Store sale a couple of weeks ago. (for a higher price, as a matter of fact) Fun concept, but I discovered that their DRM-free Linux build wouldn't save my progress.

I still have an open ticket on Humble regarding that. (A Humble support person just sent me an e-mail a couple of days ago to let me know that they're still working on it and they haven't forgotten me.)

Does anyone know if GOG missed the same problem here when preparing the non-Galaxy installers?
musteriuz: I think I missed something in your post the first time ... is the save issue only applicable to the Linux build? Does it save properly on Windows?
I don't have a new enough Windows machine to check (just some retro PCs running things like Win3.11 and Win9x), but another responder said that the problem is that it knows how to save to the Registry or Steam and nothing else.

(You asked about "on Windows", rather than "the Windows build", so I assumed that trying it under Wine wouldn't answer your question.)
Post edited July 30, 2019 by ssokolow
musteriuz: I think I missed something in your post the first time ... is the save issue only applicable to the Linux build? Does it save properly on Windows?
I cannot imagine how the Windows version should not work, as everything indicates that this the same version as on Steam, so it can store the progress in the registry.