It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Procedurally generated steampunk roguelike heist action adventure.

<span class="bold">The Swindle</span>, a sneaky 2D heist action adventure, is available now for Windows and Mac - DRM-free on GOG.com with a 15% launch discount!

From the creators of hilarious and wonderfully janky adventures Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please! comes the standout release that blends all the things that are just the coolest: crime capers, steampunk, and hand drawn art. The Swindle is a procedurally generated crime caper adventure with a bit of roguelike permadeath for good measure. As a petty (or not so petty if you're good enough) thief, your job is to locate your target, break in, then GRAB EVERYTHING YOU CAN AND RUN. In a rare proposition for stealth-based games, staying unnoticed is only half the battle, and inevitably being found out doesn't mean you've failed. In fact, that's when the game turns into an action-packed and frantic race against time to get out with your pockets stuffed and your bones intact. You're going to fail a lot, but you'll also do a little better each time with a steady flow of upgrades and unlocks to make your next thief, and your next heist, even more profitable.

<span class="bold">The Swindle</span> is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for two weeks, until August 11, 12:59 PM GMT.
Anyone know if Linux support is a possibility? Looks cool but I'm reluctant to buy games without Linux support. Using Windows invariably increases my blood pressure.
Treasure: Looks nice! Can't understand why it needs 4 gbs of ram though...
Not only the RAM ... insane hardware requirements for a rather simple 2D game.
Smannesman: Looks cute, regional pricing means instant wishlist though.
At least not also an extended complete deluxe whatever edition. ;)
But as there's almost nothing in the game extras it still may come ...

Watching Megaragemans release video was fun though. But with the long list of penalty points (regionally priced, no linux version, no German version, no soundtrack) it isn't even a wishlist candidate for me.
Has anyone figured out what the "time-limited" part meant? I can understand the roguelike randomization, but what does time have to do with it?
Breja: The time limit and procedural generation don't sound like what I want in a stealth game. For me a stealth game should be all about meticulously designed levels, and preferably all the time in the world to crack them.
I hate to bring up that game again, but that's the reason why I loved Deus Ex's approach to stealth so much. I could take as much or as little time as I wanted to figure out the best stealthy approach to each level. That was the hallmark of exceptional level design; nowadays, it feels to me that mechanics such as time-limits, or procedural generation, are crutches used to artifically inflate the difficulty of a game, instead of focusing on well-balanced, well-designed levels and combat.

Treasure: Looks nice! Can't understand why it needs 4 gbs of ram though...
eiii: Not only the RAM ... insane hardware requirements for a rather simple 2D game.
It looks like The Swindle was originally made for XBox 360 using XNA (released back in 2012?), and then ported over to Unity for its desktop release. I'm guessing that the listed system requirements may come in part from the porting process, but I'd wager that you could run it reasonably well with the options turned down on lower-spec'd hardware.
Post edited July 29, 2015 by rampancy
eiii: Not only the RAM ... insane hardware requirements for a rather simple 2D game.
rampancy: It looks like The Swindle was originally made for XBox 360 using XNA (released back in 2012?), and then ported over to Unity for its desktop release. I'm guessing that the listed system requirements may come in part from the porting process, but I'd wager that you could run it reasonably well with the options turned down on lower-spec'd hardware.
So that means it should work with a 360 controller by default?
sweet, wishlisted
GOG.com:
The game's page has some "issues"...
Attachments:
rampancy: It looks like The Swindle was originally made for XBox 360 using XNA (released back in 2012?), and then ported over to Unity for its desktop release. I'm guessing that the listed system requirements may come in part from the porting process, but I'd wager that you could run it reasonably well with the options turned down on lower-spec'd hardware.
Hardware requirements are going crazy with newer games. I've just seen that Feist, another simple 2D game, even requires a Core i3 and recommends an i7.
BreOl72: This came out of nowhere for me - never heard about it.

Looked at the screenshots, thought to myself: "This looks nice, very interesting!"

Saw the Trailer, thought to myself: "Gosh,...that's very hectic...maybe a little too hectic for my taste."

Read the description..."time-limited", "Procedurally generated", "No two maps are the same", ...erm,...nope - not for me.

Sorry! :(
Same here, every time I see "rogue-like" in the description I see:

play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-Next level-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-play a bit-die-....

Quit out of extreme boredom, if I wanted to be bored to tears with repetitiveness, I'd work at an assembly factory, at least then I'd get paid...No sale, plus the reviews so far confirms this..
Post edited July 30, 2015 by takezodunmer2005