It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The root of all evil

<span class="bold">The Original Strife: Veteran Edition</span>, the remastered FPS/RPG where you strive to rid the world of a spreading evil, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com with GOG Galaxy support for achievements and multiplayer, and a 50% launch discount.

Eager to unroot an evil presence, overthrow a monarchy of religious fanatics, and blast away those who stand in your way? You'll get the chance to do all this and more, as you side with The Front, a resistance movement fighting the dark cultists of The Order. Your trusty weapons will go a long way towards ending this conflict, as will the assistance of the talented Blackbird, an underground agent whose skills at obtaining information are only rivalled by her dangerous allure. This Veteran Edition sports significant visual improvements, restored features, and all the bombastic charm of a game that set the standards for all FPS/RPG hybrids to follow in its wake.

Conspire with you resistance allies to undermine the sinister Order in <span class="bold">The Original Strife: Veteran Edition</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 50% launch discount will last until May 24, 1:59 PM UTC.
Narakir: I absolutely adore this game, but they really took their damn time to release it here.
The hold up was due to Galaxy integration (read: achievements). Screw that Galaxy bullshit.

GOG's only hurting themselves, what with people openly admitting to purchasing from Steam when they'd waited long enough....

Seriously, who wants to wait a year just to get some stupid galaxy achievements (on the one platform on which Galaxy exists)?
Post edited May 19, 2016 by clarry
Forgot this was even coming here.
clarry: Seriously, who wants to wait a year just to get some stupid galaxy achievements (on the one platform on which Galaxy exists)?
Why do you assume it would be any more of a hold up for Galaxy than it already is for every game on Steam?
clarry: Seriously, who wants to wait a year just to get some stupid galaxy achievements (on the one platform on which Galaxy exists)?
a4plz: Why do you assume it would be any more of a hold up for Galaxy than it already is for every game on Steam?
I don't know if this depends on Galaxy, but you know that there are differences between the architecture of Galaxy and Steam? But as clarry noted: Screw that client-bullshit. No need for this, even if this is so-called "optional".
a4plz: Why do you assume it would be any more of a hold up for Galaxy than it already is for every game on Steam?
Did I say a hold up for steam achievement is acceptable? No. Achievements, whether on steam or otherwise, are stupid. In particular, delaying a game's release due to such nonsense is a terrible idea. Even more so when the game (with the said craphivements) is already released on another store. In this case, it can only hurt GOG as well as anyone who would rather buy from GOG than Steam.

But I have word from a person who's involved; I did not assume anything. There are multiple causes to the delayed GOG release (some of which really make no sense to me). One of the causes is galaxy integration, and waiting for galaxy to get stable enough.
Post edited May 19, 2016 by clarry
That's not really my point though; games are delayed here all the time for reasons which are not "the developer spent an entire year trying to program Galaxy achievements". Usually it's all red tape.
Nice to see Strife finally being relased in GOG. Even having the game already in Steam, I will gladly buy again here

Now regarding other classical MS-DOS FPSs, will love to see Heretic/Hexen and Witchaven. And Quake 4 too
gandalfnho: Nice to see Strife finally being relased in GOG. Even having the game already in Steam, I will gladly buy again here

Now regarding other classical MS-DOS FPSs, will love to see Heretic/Hexen and Witchaven. And Quake 4 too
Yep, need some Heretic and Hexen. I can't say i'm familiar with Witchaven personally though.
good one, thanks!
gandalfnho: Now regarding other classical MS-DOS FPSs, will love to see Heretic/Hexen and Witchaven.
Yeah, the old Capstone Games would be nice, too.

"Witchaven", "Witchaven II - Blood Vengeance", "TekWar", "Operation Body Count".

They are quite trashy, but high class in comparison with today's Steam Greenlight crap.

But Capstone is long liquidated, I don't think there is enough interest for these. I would buy them all... ^^
Not a huge fan of FPS, but this one looks interesting. What are the RPG elements?
I remember how Chocolate Strife started as simple branch of Chocolate Doom to use with Strife retail files since source code was absent. For such backward engineering job and improved (also I see on screenshots some OpenGL features) to the point of official re-release so perfectly close to original this is quite achievement. ;P
Post edited May 19, 2016 by HenitoKisou
ShadowWulfe: Forgot this was even coming here.
Considering your avatar, shouldn't you be more excited? ;)

The swan song of the doom engine. Instabought.
docbear1975: Not a huge fan of FPS, but this one looks interesting. What are the RPG elements?
All the info you need can be found here;
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_the_original_strife_veteran_edition_1790e/post50

Hope this helps.
Very nice. Your lack of Bethesda releases this week is forgiven. ;)