It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The side-scroll of destiny.

The Messenger is now available DRM-free on GOG.com.
The retro-inspired Messenger double flips into action, packing all the throwing stars and special abilities that would make Shinobi proud. Bosses, hidden levels, a toe-tapping original soundtrack. Relive the golden age of the action platformer, without half the hairspray or oversized shoulder pads.

Be kind, unwind with the Soundtrack which comes in two parts: Disc I: The Past and Disc II: The Future.
groze: don't resort to this archaic "shift, ctrl, alt, space" layout that feels like some clunky scheme out of the DOS days... it was bad then, it's still bad now.
"it was bad then": I disagree, using modifier keys was the best thing to do back then, especially for action games.

But using space bar, the biggest (and loudest) key on a keyboard for some frequent action like jumping is bad. I don't know why so many FPS did this by default.

And yes: rebindable controls FTW!
Post edited August 31, 2018 by Sir_Kill_A_Lot
groze: don't resort to this archaic "shift, ctrl, alt, space" layout that feels like some clunky scheme out of the DOS days... it was bad then, it's still bad now.
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: "it was bad then": I disagree, using modifier keys was the best thing to do back then, especially for action games.

But using space bar, the biggest (and loudest) key on a keyboard for some frequent action like jumping is bad. I don't know why so many FPS did this by default.

And yes: rebindable controls FTW!
I beg to differ. Shift is above Ctrl, Alt is right next to Space, which is a pretty wide key that doesn't feel "right" to press considering the size of all the other ones. Also, placing my fingers on all these keys, "ready to go", always felt awkward to me, pinky on Shift, ring finger on Ctrl, right below it, middle finger on Alt, with the Windows key (and, in my current case, a Function modifier key), then index on the border of the Space bar... does this sound remotely comfortable to you? Not to mention modifier keys will sometimes trigger some weird command when pressed simultaneousy, which you're bound to eventually do when playing an action game. If they were going with non-rebindable keys, I'd very much prefer a "Japanese" style of ZXCV and arrow keys, that way all my fingers can rest side to side, comfortably, on top of same-sized keys with no other keys in between.

Maybe this is my personal preference, but I never liked this key layout back in the DOS days, and I still don't like it in 2018. But, yeah, I think we can all agree that free key remapping is the way to go.
Game is incredible just buy it!
Post edited August 31, 2018 by varkkon
low rated
Meh, another platformer.
Kunovski: when I see this, I instantly remember the old days when I started playing computer games... it was the infamous Bruce Lee, my first game ever

thank gods I don't have to play games like these anymore! :D
Hey now...Bruce Lee was great. :)
I remember, a few years ago there was a remake available (Ultimate Bruce Lee) https://archive.org/details/Ultimate_Bruce_Lee
Sir_Kill_A_Lot: "it was bad then": I disagree, using modifier keys was the best thing to do back then, especially for action games.
groze: Maybe this is my personal preference, but I never liked this key layout back in the DOS days, and I still don't like it in 2018.
It wasn't about ergonomics, also there weren't any Windows or function keys back then. I never really used global hotkeys in DOS either (well I actually did, it was for "drawing" borders using ASCII characters with the Numpad).

It's not necessary anymore today because modern keyboards allow a lot of simultaneously pressed keys at the same time, but in DOS times you constantly hit the limit with pressing too many keys at one time.
This was especially true with action games and was even worse with 2-player games (on one keyboard).

That's why the modifier keys were the way to go, they weren't (and aren't) affected by such limitations.
Post edited September 01, 2018 by Sir_Kill_A_Lot
deleted
Fairfox: still dont kno why this gogie release is missin' teh 2 xtra tracks via separate dlc from steamie version
i was lo-rated b4 4 mentionin' it
...welp tbh it was probs just 'coz i wrote it lmao

o an' still dont kno x2 why both releases has sheepy lossy ost dlcs compared 2 bandcamp with its obvs multi-flex optiopns. i wouldnt advise ne1 buy teh music dlc on these gamie stores when it patent lee inferior? where is net benefit

is this how it goes nao tho; 1st free ost with gamies, then paid ost dlc in lossless, then paid ost dlc in lossy so you has 2 go elsewhere? uuuuh
If you pre-ordered the game, then refresh your account. The two extra tracks will show up in your downloadable goodies section.