It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Adventure gaming's greatest sci-fi collaboration.

<span class="bold">The Dig&reg;</span>, a Lucasfilm adventure designed by Sci-fi's greatest, is available now - DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount.

For Lucasfilm, <span class="bold">The Dig&reg;</span> was a departure from the ways of fun little adventure games they treaded so heavily by 1995. Instead, it was a serious and mature story in a realistic Sci-fi setting. The game had a turbulent history, but benefited from collaboration with some of Sci-fi's greatest creative minds - those include Orson Scott Card, Steven Spielberg, and LOOM's Brian Moriarty - as well as an immense (for its time) development budget. The end result was a flawed, though beautifully hand-drawn adventure game. More than that though, it was a fascinatingly abstract story of alien worlds, immortality, and death. Plenty of death. Time has been kind to <span class="bold">The Dig&reg;</span>, especially when you can approach it (with a bit of help) as an interactive Sci-fi novel, and Lucasfilm's curious departure from the norm.

Excavate the secrets of a lifeless alien world in <span class="bold">The Dig&reg;</span>, available now - DRM-free on GOG.com. The 20% launch discount will last for one week, until Thursday, March 26 at 1:59 PM GMT.
The German translation of this game is awesome, I've still got it in my shelf, hopefully it will come here too at some point.
Klumpen0815: The German translation of this game is awesome, I've still got it in my shelf, hopefully it will come here too at some point.
You should message GOG and see if they could use it. :)
I'm considering buying this, is it excellent? I've played the first Monkey Island and loved it, and I guess The Dig has very similar gameplay :)
Klumpen0815: The German translation of this game is awesome, I've still got it in my shelf, hopefully it will come here too at some point.
tfishell: You should message GOG and see if they could use it. :)
He'd be wasting his time as I've already got 5 or 6 German speakers asking about this already :P
tfishell: You should message GOG and see if they could use it. :)
JudasIscariot: He'd be wasting his time as I've already got 5 or 6 German speakers asking about this already :P
So I don't need to step up and also ask where the German versions of the adventures are and if you need files? :P
Post edited March 19, 2015 by moonshineshadow
Random_Coffee: I'm considering buying this, is it excellent? I've played the first Monkey Island and loved it, and I guess The Dig has very similar gameplay :)
I wouldn't call it excellent, but I would recommend it. It has a nice dose of humour in it, but some of the more serious elements of the story felt a little underdeveloped to me. Still, it has nice graphics, great music, and good voice acting, so it's pretty decent overall.
JudasIscariot: He'd be wasting his time as I've already got 5 or 6 German speakers asking about this already :P
moonshineshadow: So I don't need to step up and also ask where the German versions of the adventures are and if you need files? :P
No, but thank you for the offer :D

This question has been asked already several times over :P
moonshineshadow: So I don't need to step up and also ask where the German versions of the adventures are and if you need files? :P
JudasIscariot: No, but thank you for the offer :D

This question has been asked already several times over :P
I assume the issue must be about rights to the German version, then.
Random_Coffee: I'm considering buying this, is it excellent? I've played the first Monkey Island and loved it, and I guess The Dig has very similar gameplay :)
Sort of. It is, of course, based on the same principles, but it utilizes a simplified interface. It is also not a comedic game like Monkey Island. The tone is pretty serious, aside from the occasional sarcastic remark from the characters. Most of the gameplay revolves around exploring and learning to understand the ancient civilization of an alien planet, which gives it a very unique atmosphere and style amongst LucasArts adventures.
All in all, a very good game with a story that can be very thought-provoking at times.

(It does have that god damned turtle puzzle, though.)
Post edited March 19, 2015 by InfraSuperman
"This game comes with a .deb installer only."

What's the reason that you don't provide a tar ball for this game?
Even more essential, is this an exception for this game only or will it be the norm for newly released games on Linux?

Edit: Sadly all the just released games which have Linux support come without a tar ball. Why?
Post edited March 20, 2015 by eiii
tokisto: And thanks for bringing the novell in brazillian languague!
Glad you like it :) I'm happy we were allowed to include that version of the novel :)
I remember this one being a great game, looking forward to replay it ;)
It has come! Thanks, GOG! =)
eiii: "This game comes with a .deb installer only."

What's the reason that you don't provide a tar ball for this game?
Even more essential, is this an exception for this game only or will it be the norm for newly released games on Linux?

Edit: Sadly all the just released games which have Linux support come without a tar ball. Why?
Don't use Linux myself so I'm not sure but I'm assuming a tar ball is some sort of Zip and a .deb file makes it harder to run/install on some systems?
eiii: Edit: Sadly all the just released games which have Linux support come without a tar ball. Why?
This was answered in one of the sub-forums after the first round of Lucasfilm/Disney games. Using a .deb archive allows for the license agreement to be displayed during the "install". You could also achieve such with a tarball with some scripting, but GOG either hasn't look at that yet, or their agreement with Disney requires a .deb or ....

Since it is a .deb you can simply unpack it instead of installing it anyway.
Post edited March 20, 2015 by Gydion