It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Citizens deny knowledge.

<span class="bold">The Darkside Detective</span>, a spooky-go-lucky adventure full of pixelated absurdity, is now available, DRM-Free on GOG.com, with a 23% launch discount.

A wave of paranormal weirdness is spreading across Twin Lakes City and nobody seems to give a damn. Except for specialized detective Francis McQueen and his sidekick, officer Dooley, who throw themselves into the night to study occult symbols, talk with ghost celebrities and make sure the local zombies stay hungry.

The 23% discount will last until August 3, 1PM UTC.

Watch the trailer.
Post edited July 27, 2017 by maladr0Id
BadDecissions: The further back you go in time, the greater the graphical limitations, but we shouldn't forget that those (now retro) games still had artists who were doing their damnedest to make their games look as good as possible. I think that's why the "retro" look is so hard to pull off, because it's an added layer of complexity--first you have to artificially limit yourself, then you have to do good art in that artificially created environment. Like, even in the limits they've created for themselves, was not giving characters eyes a necessary part of the art style that will enhance the game, or was it just done in the vague idea that "retro graphics" should look primitive?

(That being said, poor graphics is a venial sin, unless they're so bad that they really get in the way of things).
A perfect old example: Jagged Alliance 2 ( windows versions had better and more detailed graphics then the first DOS version (i own all the classic games (retail) and on GOG)
I mean in that era , the graphics were very good imo, i loved everything about the game, and when i compare todays 'wannabees' that obviously copied from jagged alliance , somehow forgot that ja2 games were 'unqique' in a way, i played many modern games but none of them compares imo to the old classics...

Shadowrun games are obviously inspired by jagged alliance, and todays games try to create a shadowrun clone, cause most of the younger devs probably never played jagged alliance so they took shadowrun as example.
Fallout classics another hit, commandos classics, and today we dont have games like that, they use weird vector/voxel like graphics, people and enemies in rpg look more like a vegetable then human and the list is endles and grows every day ....

I really miss the old games, lots of games of lower quality are released by the dozen since 2000...
thats almost 17 years lower quality games released everywhere, on steam, online, even a simple browsergame is average...
What the hell? This is game is only 10 euro cents more expensive on the Humble Store... without any discount applied! And it's got nothing to do to any "DRM-free tax" as it's also DRM-free there... :\

EDIT: I just noticed this note on the HS page:
The Darkside Detective will go up in price on August 3, 2017.
Hmmm... Should we expect a price raise here as well? Or are these just different ways of implementing a release discount?
Post edited July 27, 2017 by muntdefems
muntdefems: What the hell? This is game is only 10 euro cents more expensive on the Humble Store... without any discount applied! And it's got nothing to do to any "DRM-free tax" as it's also DRM-free there... :\

EDIT: I just noticed this note on the HS page: Hmmm... Should we expect a price raise here as well? Or are these just different ways of implementing a release discount?
http://steamcommunity.com/app/368390/discussions/0/1353742967821968316
Hey, it will be $12.99 full price but $9.99 launch week :)

Hey, it will be $12.99 full price but $9.99 launch week :)
Painted_Doll:
Gotcha! In that case it's GOG who has the best deal (at least in my region). :D
thuey: Reminds me of The Last Door
Same here. From the image on the front page I thought that would be TLD 3.
HereForTheBeer: I'm digging the music in the trailer...
Painted_Doll: https://www.benpruntymusic.com/
Thanks for that.

Pretty cool that some of his stuff is released on vinyl.
thuey: Reminds me of The Last Door
Laberbacke: Same here. From the image on the front page I thought that would be TLD 3.
There might be a Season 3 in the future but, understandably enough, the people at Game Kitchen are a bit tired of working on the same game for more than two years, and they're taking a break in order to work on Blasphemous (a game I think will be pretty awesome, but most of the other Last Door fans will probably hate since it's a huge departure in terms of gameplay and style).

As for Darkside Detective, I remember playing a demo of the first chapter some time ago, and liking it quite a lot. It's nice to see it on GOG; I'll have it wishlisted for now, as I'll probably be busy with Sundered -- which releases tomorrow -- for quite some time, and I'm also saving money for Ys Seven, which should be coming to GOG any time, this summer.
This game looks pretty good, I will give it a go at some point. Too much backlog right now.
djdarko: Looks interesting, but falls into the "what indie developers think retro looked like" category.
Too true.
Breja: P
I
X
E
L
S
Graphics so bad that no one has a face.
low rated
The_Gypsy: Graphics so bad that no one has a face.
Hey, you don't need faces when you're #oldschool #indie #SoRetro. What do you mean "some indie devs actually work hard to give their games unique visual style and high quality graphics instead of slapping huge pixels together and calling it retro"? Pfft. Losers. We're the real heart and soul of old school gaming, man! I even played that Sam & Max hit the Secret of Atlantis game once!
Post edited July 28, 2017 by Breja
djdarko: Looks interesting, but falls into the "what indie developers think retro looked like" category.
Not really. I looked at their twitter; they have tons of promotional holiday-themed pixel art posted over there. The humor content of said art varies but the technical execution is consistently flawless. I hate shitty pixel art, but theirs is really fucking great.
wvpr: I tried the free chapter a while back. It was short and simple, but also clever and funny. 5 more of the same sounds appealing.

That depends how far back you're willing to go.

https://goo.gl/images/4PXazn

https://goo.gl/images/1Fotni
CharlesGrey: I think his point isn't necessarily that old games looked "better", but that they had a much more consistent style, and that they were carefully designed and crafted, to get the most out of every single pixel and the limited amount of colours.

It seems the average indie dev doesn't fully understand this classic video game graphics style, which they're so often trying to emulate. ( Although there are some pleasant exceptions to this. )
In all seriousness, art styles in older games could range from raytrace renderings by the programmer to careful reductions of handpainted art by professionals. It wasn't all intricately detailed or appealing to look at. The Ultima 1 screens I picked could have looked much nicer using the same technology.

Some platforms were so limited that the artists struggled to produce any detail at all. Apple 2 low-resolution graphics were 40x40 or 40x48 with 16 colors, a more limited environment than the Last Door's graphics. Atari 2600 games weren't much better. CGA graphics had higher resolution but only offered 4 ugly colors at a time, counting black and white against the total.

https://goo.gl/images/w23By7
https://goo.gl/images/08AqDX
https://goo.gl/images/juoZbK

Besides, games like the Last Door and Darkside Detective aren't trying to copy older styles. They're coming up with their own interesting styles using low-resolution pixel art and expanded color palettes. Combining low resolutions and pixel art can be an artistic choice.
Imo it's the same as with the so called "walking simulators". You like the style or you don't like it. I don't know why everybody is talking about old console games as if they were the inspiration for this. Nobody ever said that. It's just a special kind of artstyle which some may dislike. Also I noticed that nearly 100% of the comments here are talking about the graphic style. I suppose there is an actual game behind all this artstyle. Will try the demo to see if the style is fitting the game and if I like the gameplay. The only thing that still confuses me is the term "micro-adventure" since I hope it's just a play of words regarding the artstyle or some content inside the game and not so much the length of the game itself which would be worse imo.

Edit: Just played through the demo (btw: CPU temps were about 45 degrees celsius for me and CPU usage about 35% on my i5 @3.1 GhZ so imo not that needy - but there is no vsync implemented at all). I have to say that the artstyle is nice and playing it was fun so far but at least the demo (which obviously is the complete first of just six cases) took me not longer than 30 minutes and I really looked at everything. Also there are no character animations in the demo - transitions are happening by simply showing the next scene so it does feel a bit like a visual novel with some minor puzzles. I am torn since the pricing would be much too high if all episodes will be like this - but I like the humour and the story could get interesting.
Post edited July 28, 2017 by MarkoH01
Bump for awesomeness. This is how you make a retro game, Ron Gilbert <.<
Damn. Looked promisingly lastdoorish, and I'm very, very okay with the graphics, but one screenshot (the door surrounded with with sigils) reminded me of something. And yeah. Already played it. Here : http://www.kongregate.com/games/spookydoorway/the-darkside-detective

Okay it was a shorter version (now renamed as a "demo"), just one of its "episodes" to test the public I suppose. But I didn't expect to see the series sold as a $10 videogame. Expect very casual gameplay.

And try it out before buying.