It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut is now available. Get the game before September 3rd, 4pm UTC to receive a free copy of The Bard's Tale Trilogy.

Update: Both Mac and Linux versions of The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut are now available

Hidden in the shadows, an evil has waited patiently. Until now. Who will face the darkness if not you? A heroic adventure featuring 50+ hours of gameplay, 350 speaking parts, a Legacy Mode for returning fans, and over 100 pieces of incredible music!

The Director’s Cut brings more character customization options, new items, new enemies, revised UI, and a free expansion dungeon.

The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut - Deluxe Edition includes plenty of digital goodies, including a free copy of The Bard's Tale Trilogy

Notice: Owners of The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep will receive the Director's Cut for free.
Cusith: Linux version seems to be up
shmerl: The installer is broken though.
Ah well, knew that was a possibility hence the seems.
I'll wait 'till I can get IV for free
Cusith: Linux version seems to be up
How? And can you please post when it's fixed? I'm sort of considering buying it... the gfx downgrade of that area in picture is really horrible, the original had some good style and taste, but after all, it's just graphics.

But I want the linux version, ain't got time for wine and emulation magic...
ped7g: How? And can you please post when it's fixed? I'm sort of considering buying it... the gfx downgrade of that area in picture is really horrible, the original had some good style and taste, but after all, it's just graphics.

See this thread. Surprising silence from GOG on this. Looks like their Linux support team is on vacation or something. Since @linuxvangog has left, things became worse and they are probably severely understaffed.
GOG_Solostran: The limited time offer applies to all standard edition purchases.
Can you please update on the above? The Linux release has been delayed for quite a while already, and the installer is still broken.
Post edited August 29, 2019 by shmerl
Update from inXile (thanks for relaying this info):
FYI - Gog has been looking into it since we reported the issue this morning when we received the first reports from backers via Kickstarter. No updates for you yet, but they're aware and investigating.
Would it hurt for GOG to actually say so, instead of enforcing this new "say nothing to the community" policy?
Post edited August 29, 2019 by shmerl
Sulibor: Dear GOG Staff,

could you please look into problem of lack language selection for Bards Tale Trilogy:
https://www.gog.com/forum/the_bards_tale_series/btt_428_live_major_update
I am sorry lack of netiquette but I would like to take advantage of the fact that this thread is in the spotlight.
Yes, it's pretty annoying to be unable to change language settings.
I expect GOG or InXile to look at this.
ped7g: How? And can you please post when it's fixed? I'm sort of considering buying it... the gfx downgrade of that area in picture is really horrible, the original had some good style and taste, but after all, it's just graphics.

It seems that the two main pictures circling the web ‘comparing graphics’ are shots from different places in the same cavern. (No doubt leading to larger comparable differences- ie my front door doesn’t look the same as your front door, naturally, cause they ARE DIFFERENT.

The beef with the graphics downgrade is prebaking and making lower quality ULTRA settings.
Devs-Lower mid settings
Lower medium settings...
Heck lower high settings if you really want to go overboard....
But taking away nice things people once have is like theft.
Lots of nice screen shots showing old Ultra just wont compare...
I get why its done... pc users too often brag in forums that the consoles get the ‘mid tier’ settings, and Mickeysoft wouldnt want people to know that their Xbox ISN’T as capable as a ‘cost is no expense’ PC build...

Just seems like a stupid reason to take from the majority of gamers.

Of course that ceases to be now that Mickeysoft give the game ‘for free’ to subscription users. The most number of Bards Tale installs will be on xbox. I wonder how they will manipulate that statistic to misrepresent the ‘success’ of their console...

shmerl: See this thread. Surprising silence from GOG on this. Looks like their Linux support team is on vacation or something. Since @linuxvangog has left, things became worse and they are probably severely understaffed.
GOG_Solostran: The limited time offer applies to all standard edition purchases.
shmerl: Can you please update on the above? The Linux release has been delayed for quite a while already, and the installer is still broken.
Hey,
The new version went live some time ago, so it should be fine, but please let us know if you still encounter any issues.
I've put about 12 hours into the Director's Cut so far and I think it's great. It's fixed so many issues I had with the original. The area load times being the biggest improvement. I peronsally think it looks fine on my low end hardware on a mix of high and medium (medium shadows do work currently) and was so happy walking into the lowlands and not having it tank to like 10 fps.

But they really shot themselves in the foot by shipping this with broken shadows and missing effects on ultra. There's also still some niggling bugs with the UI and combat, but the ones I ran into are already on their known issues list and hopefully fixed soon.
GOG_Solostran: Hey,
The new version went live some time ago, so it should be fine, but please let us know if you still encounter any issues.
Unfortunately it's still not working. See details here.
So I tried the game out a wee bit (mostly ‘hanging at a mates’ who has this game on their ‘upgraded’ xbone)..

Seems that the design ideals were purely for making the game (actually) play on a very low powered piece of computing hardware (an xbox).
The framerate was mostly atrocious (vs other games), but thoroughly acceptable for a turn based RPG.
(This game could have been left beautiful for PCs)

The game is great, the music and attention/effort seem compelling enough (this should be a MUST BUY for older generational RPGers, and any new skoolers who can handle a different paced game, potentially with challenge/learning curve).
The ‘tutorial’ nature of the games opening hours seemed better done than most, and exceptional given the games origins..

Within 48hours of game launch (directors cut version), much net talk has begun about how ‘shader injections’ (changing the way some ‘filters’ affect graphics getting to the screen) seems to reveal a high res and beautiful game underneath all the new lighting.
This heavily suggests (to me) that an HDR (high dynamic range) lighting patch will come out making the xbox version look better than pc.
Said patch may/may not release simultaneously with pc version, and would go towards marketing how great the console version is. (This is seriously stron marketing for Microsoft and they HAVE done it with other title(s) they own).

Other PC users can attest a high res/sharp looking game is underneath the present version we are running. Looks like typical M$ tactics to prove how xboxs are ‘the way its gimped to be played’.

PC version can be made nicer again, many who never use ‘injectors’ are swearing by them for this game alone...
Whilst I seldom have used injectors over the last decade or so, the nature of how they revealed the games UNDERLYING EXISTING graphics are great suggests that we have been ‘gimped on purpose’, with an easy patch to restore ‘better graphics’ no doubt inbound. Of course the motivation will be for the console version to play and look better, so it will be interesting times ahead to see just how much M$ puppet strings devs towards machiavellian goals.
Post edited September 01, 2019 by whitedragem
GOG_Solostran: Hey,
The new version of new version of new version finally works. :) Thanks.
ped7g: The new version of new version of new version finally works. :) Thanks.
Yep, installer is good now! Not sure why they needed to wrap it into separate zip though, since the size is almost identical to compressed .sh inside it. Just waste of time on one decompression step.
Post edited September 03, 2019 by shmerl
ped7g: The new version of new version of new version finally works. :) Thanks.
shmerl: Yep, installer is good now! Not sure why they needed to wrap it into separate zip though, since the size is almost identical to compressed .sh inside it. Just waste of time on one decompression step.
Maybe anti-measure on people running low on disk space... :P *evil grin*
shmerl: Not sure why they needed to wrap it into separate zip though, since the size is almost identical to compressed .sh inside it. Just waste of time on one decompression step.
I wouldn't attribute it to malice ;)