It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Is it Thursday yet? Yes it is.

<span class="bold">The Age of Decadence</span>, a dark, brutal, low-fantasy RPG of choice and consequence, is available now - DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

The Age of Decadence is many things.
It's "an isometric, turn-based, single-player role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire." How unique does that sound? Pretty darn unique.

It's a brutal game. It's a game about the brutality and consequences of being human. Instead of saving the world from an all-encompassing evil, you'll discover a world that's already gone to hell, and you'll soon learn why.

It's an incredibly open game. The Age of Decadence respects your right to be a pacifist. A lying, manipulative pacifist. It's a game that'll remind you of a classic text adventure with branching choices and betrayal at every corner. It's also a game with incredible replayability - the choices you make and your origin will influence the game in ways significant enough that you'll feel compelled just to see the other side of the story. Whether an assassin, a drifter, a merchant or a merc - you'll have a thousand stories to tell, and few of them will end well. Check out our own early impressions of the game still in development.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. <span class="bold">The Age of Decadence</span> is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will last until Monday, October 19, 12:59 PM GMT.

In the Press:
"Even walking the non-violent path, this game is no picnic, unless it’s a picnic covered with ants who act friendly, lure you into an alley, and then beat the shit out of you." --RockPaperShotgun
Nice game. At least it looks very promising. No mindless grinding and intelligent, meaningful story as well as challenging combats. That are very good ingredients. Let's hope the game can keep this high expectations. If it can - I will certainly buy and play it.
DiscipleJF: Is it Thursday? I thought today was Wednesday...
Now they've really done it -- GOG broke time and space.

For what it's worth, it might already be Thursday in Japan.
JudasIscariot: You can get dialogue options based on how many people you've killed in the game :D ...
Hmm, just the number? Well that sounds a bit like it requires mindless grinding again. I wish they would do it rather depending on how many important persons you killed or with some other weighting or in relation to what you have done and how many people have seen it.

For example what if I killed someone but nobody saw it. How realistic is it if everyone else magically knows about this and treats me differently...
Post edited October 14, 2015 by Trilarion
JudasIscariot: I actually grabbed the final version of the game the night before and I've been trying to get my head wrapped around being an assassin :D
Have you tried asking Lord Downey for help?
JudasIscariot: I actually grabbed the final version of the game the night before and I've been trying to get my head wrapped around being an assassin :D
benmar: Have you tried asking Lord Downey for help?
Just don't take any almond slices.
JudasIscariot: You can get dialogue options based on how many people you've killed in the game :D ...
Trilarion: Hmm, just the number? Well that sounds a bit like it requires mindless grinding again. I wish they would do it rather depending on how many important persons you killed or with some other weighting or in relation to what you have done and how many people have seen it.

For example what if I killed someone but nobody saw it. How realistic is it if everyone else magically knows about this and treats me differently...
Well, you can play a diplomatic character and avoid combat :) The body count is just another dialogue option in encounters and you don't HAVE to have a high body count :)

Also, this " what if I killed someone but nobody saw it." is supposed to be an abstraction in the game :)
benmar: Have you tried asking Lord Downey for help?
No, not yet :P
Post edited October 14, 2015 by JudasIscariot
Sachys: Will have to wait for a serious sale, but it looks great!
25.29 is a weird number but its only 29 cents over my max list price i am able and willing to pay for a game, retail or digital, so the price with the 10% off is a good one, the listprice itself is a bit to high.
if it was like old classic jagged alliance and or old baldurs i would have bought it, but the motions is too much for me, all that turning and zooming is not real isometric, i played old isometric that had static screens and you did not had to zoom in and out rotate the room/gameworld cause these things trigger my (game) motionsickness.
So thats what i still keep looking for when i see new/old games arrive, no zooming no panning no tilting no watchiung to the skies when you move the mouse, just old left to right and back and forth walking, like the many games i own here and on retail cd/dvd.
Not a Thursday ?

Good F***ing Welcome!
tokisto: Low fantasy? Or it is fantasy or not...
I don't like fantasy settings, and the historical background is what appeals to me
And no Unix support
Maybe next time
JudasIscariot: Low fantasy means it's more down to earth and you don't have mages slinging spells everywhere :)

The game runs just fine via Wine :)
Thanks for pointing out Judas!
My laptop is an oldie one and it happens to play wrapped games in Wine very slow when they are less than 3 years old, but it is possible :)
Could you be more detailed about the "low fantasy" setting? How do it affect the world? Are there mages and correlated? Can you invoke magic powers or it is related to a paralelled world (as the trailer induces)? Thanks!
Trilarion: Nice game. At least it looks very promising. No mindless grinding and intelligent, meaningful story as well as challenging combats. That are very good ingredients. Let's hope the game can keep this high expectations. If it can - I will certainly buy and play it.
well i am a games fanatic or freak (as in my name) i dont look much at what others think i mainly judge a game by myself and might take some magazine recommendations and review along with it when i buy a game.
80% or more is my sole discision, i dont let my judgement clouded by any professional magazines.
i bought some games in the past and recently aswell, people said 'iew' in review, but as long as i like the game and have fun, its well spend money.
Its like having a girl/boyfriend or spousse, as long as you 2 are happy and lucky, we dontc are about what others say.
But if the game is doubtful i sometimes consult a magzine or online review, the final decison is always with me regardless of how many downvotes the game had or low reviews.
CharlesGrey: Loosely related: Does anyone know if this is connected to Dead State in some way? Same developers or engine, perhaps? The combat HUD elements look highly familiar.
They share the same engine (Torque) and Iron Tower Studio helped DoubleBear in development of Dead State:

DoubleBear Productions is an indie game studio founded in June 2009 by writer and game designer Brian Mitsoda. The studio intends to specialize in PC role-playing video games. Its first and current project is Dead State, a turn-based PC RPG set in a zombie apocalypse scenario.The studio is working with Iron Tower Studio on the project, and the game will be utilizing The Age of Decadence's game engine.
Post edited October 14, 2015 by Petrell
Am I the only one who thinks the writing in the trailer is pretty terrible?

"Decide who your friends and enemies are"

"Meet different people"
JudasIscariot: Low fantasy means it's more down to earth and you don't have mages slinging spells everywhere :)

The game runs just fine via Wine :)
tokisto: Thanks for pointing out Judas!
My laptop is an oldie one and it happens to play wrapped games in Wine very slow when they are less than 3 years old, but it is possible :)
Could you be more detailed about the "low fantasy" setting? How do it affect the world? Are there mages and correlated? Can you invoke magic powers or it is related to a paralelled world (as the trailer induces)? Thanks!
Regarding Wine:

Just be sure to save often before any transitions because the Torque Engine can be a bit finicky under Wine as I've noticed that it tends to get wonky during transitions (Dead State, another Torque Engine game, also has this...) but despite all that I managed to get to the second city so far :) Just save early, save often, and in different slots as the old cRPG adage goes :)

It's "low fantasy" because the magic is pretty much gone out of this world after a rather cataclysmic event that brought down the AoD equivalent of the Roman Empire. There used to be mages but they aren't around now or if there are any, they're in hiding :) In practical terms this means you won't have people shooting spells or anything of the sort AFAIK. Most of my battles were fought daggers (assassin weapon) and crossbows and perhaps some good old fashioned poison applied to my dagger :D

tl;dr imagine if Fallout was set in ancient Rome and Rome is dead and you pretty much have Age of Decadence in a nutshell :) The mages and their practices were partly responsible for the condition of Age of Decadence's world :)
Post edited October 14, 2015 by JudasIscariot
tokisto: Thanks for pointing out Judas!
JudasIscariot: Regarding Wine:

Just be sure to save often before any transitions because the Torque Engine can be a bit finicky under Wine as I've noticed that it tends to get wonky during transitions (Dead State, another Torque Engine game, also has this...) but despite all that I managed to get to the second city so far :) Just save early, save often, and in different slots as the old cRPG adage goes :)

It's "low fantasy" because the magic is pretty much gone out of this world after a rather cataclysmic event that brought down the AoD equivalent of the Roman Empire. There used to be mages but they aren't around now or if there are any, they're in hiding :) In practical terms this means you won't have people shooting spells or anything of the sort AFAIK. Most of my battles were fought daggers (assassin weapon) and crossbows and perhaps some good old fashioned poison applied to my dagger :D

tl;dr imagine if Fallout was set in ancient Rome and Rome is dead and you pretty much have Age of Decadence in a nutshell :) The mages and their practices were partly responsible for the condition of Age of Decadence's world :)
Thank you very much for all the clarifications!
I see that your "Thief" character is realling going beyond its own IP... :p
JudasIscariot: Regarding Wine:

tokisto: Thank you very much for all the clarifications!
I see that your "Thief" character is realling going beyond its own IP... :p
Well, I am not playing a thief this time :P Trying to play an assassin who knows how to break in somewhere and steal the family jewels :D