It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Is it Thursday yet? Yes it is.

<span class="bold">The Age of Decadence</span>, a dark, brutal, low-fantasy RPG of choice and consequence, is available now - DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

The Age of Decadence is many things.
It's "an isometric, turn-based, single-player role-playing game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic fantasy world, inspired by the fall of the Roman Empire." How unique does that sound? Pretty darn unique.

It's a brutal game. It's a game about the brutality and consequences of being human. Instead of saving the world from an all-encompassing evil, you'll discover a world that's already gone to hell, and you'll soon learn why.

It's an incredibly open game. The Age of Decadence respects your right to be a pacifist. A lying, manipulative pacifist. It's a game that'll remind you of a classic text adventure with branching choices and betrayal at every corner. It's also a game with incredible replayability - the choices you make and your origin will influence the game in ways significant enough that you'll feel compelled just to see the other side of the story. Whether an assassin, a drifter, a merchant or a merc - you'll have a thousand stories to tell, and few of them will end well. Check out our own early impressions of the game still in development.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. <span class="bold">The Age of Decadence</span> is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will last until Monday, October 19, 12:59 PM GMT.

In the Press:
"Even walking the non-violent path, this game is no picnic, unless it’s a picnic covered with ants who act friendly, lure you into an alley, and then beat the shit out of you." --RockPaperShotgun
So basically for those who pre-ordered this game via Iron Tower's website, they have emailed GOG and asked for keys to give out, but haven't gotten a reply from GOG yet.

Source: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2584.795.html

Ball is in your court GOG.
Wow, this game looks really terrific. Goes to the wishlist for now, since I got a tremendous amount of games for birthday from some very nice community members, and also I have yet to finish Witcher 3...
gamesfreak64: well i am a games fanatic or freak (as in my name) i dont look much at what others think i mainly judge a game by myself and might take some magazine recommendations and review along with it when i buy a game.
80% or more is my sole discision, i dont let my judgement clouded by any professional magazines.
i bought some games in the past and recently aswell, people said 'iew' in review, but as long as i like the game and have fun, its well spend money.
Its like having a girl/boyfriend or spousse, as long as you 2 are happy and lucky, we dontc are about what others say.
But if the game is doubtful i sometimes consult a magzine or online review, the final decison is always with me regardless of how many downvotes the game had or low reviews.
Trilarion: Good for you. I like your approach. However, it leaves one open question: how do you actually decide which game to buy or not to buy? If you are not listening to others and do in general not really read a lot of reviews, how do you know if a game might be good or bad? Or do you just buy all the games out there that roughly fit your preferred genres or maybe you randomly pick games?

My buying strategy is to formulate certain expectations and then wait a while and then read reviews or watch play-videos and then buy it or not. Although I guess quite a big part is also gut feeling and the descriptiona and the screenshots. I guess I'm quite dependent on others opinions in this regard. I would hardly spent time playing a game everyone else says is rubbish - even if this might be unfair in some cases because it might actually be a good game at least for me.
"However, it leaves one open question: how do you actually decide which game to buy or not to buy? If you are not listening to others and do in general not really read a lot of reviews, how do you know if a game might be good or bad? Or do you just buy all the games out there that roughly fit your preferred genres or maybe you randomly pick games?"

you got me now :D
okay i confess: i am buying pcgameplay (belgium/dutch magazine) since 1993 if i am not mistaken.
i started to buy that magazine when i did not had a pc yet, but 3 months later i was going to get one so i already looked ahead in that magazine.

The covercd (later dvd) had good demos, and that is what we are lacking today: playable (no rolling demos cause thats like a video) demos

thats when i got my first demo of jagged alliance the 1st dos game, i played the demo and knew i had to have that game as soons as it came out.
that was followed by age of empires 1, redalert command and conquer all classic versions ofcourse no 3d cause 3d has no charm and looks sterile to me compared to handdrawn graphics.
Also saw a review of touche misdaventurs of the 5th musketeer, this way i got a nice starting collection of PC game, because of my limiattions (photosensitivity/motionsickness (games and driving in cars )(because of my heavvy migraines)

i started to build on the previews gametypes so any game that looks like and plays like all the good classics were bought instantly at gog, and gamersgate.
I am mainly a gog person, i heard about GG and steam in these forums, otherwise i would never have known they existed cause gog was already mentioned long time ago in pcgameplay magazine, but it had no prepaid option so thats why i joined as soon as i read about prepaid options like paysafe (former wallicard)
So it is only a matter of gettin all old games i own on cd/dvd also on GoG.
New stuff is hard, no demos only dumb videos , i think they dont demo games cause they are not certain there game is a killer and will sell, all the other excuses the gamedevelopers come up with is bull i dont believe that nonsens, if i can get a playable demo i can judge faster to buy the full game or not so demos should be back again.

And finally as for the latest kickstarter games, well... its hard to blindly buy them cause 80% is not suited to me so i have to do research, see videos and more that also slows donw th possibilty of me buying stuff.
And lastl but not least: all have to be in some 3d form nowadays, zooming, panning tilting rotating 360 degrees, while in the past they made fantasic games without all the stuff.
So for most of the games i have to skip its because of all that added zooming stuff and 3d stuff which i cant play without getting headahes and more bad things, so i wait for normal games to come around, annas quest is playable for me so i got it, some 3pp games where you see a character walking (black mirror) is playable for me.
The thing is rooms should not be rotatable for me like 90% is nowadays hard to explain but i know what and what i cannot play.
I have bought loads and loads of games digital and retail, so i am willing to buy lots, but they do have to fit me, and some periods there seem to be only lots of 3d like released which i have to skip.
I have all old jef vogels games, fallout classics, good old no 3d rotate games. no zoom.
Crosmando: So basically for those who pre-ordered this game via Iron Tower's website, they have emailed GOG and asked for keys to give out, but haven't gotten a reply from GOG yet.

Source: http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2584.795.html

Ball is in your court GOG.
Yeah GOG, give 'em keys :D
Why is this game listed as "The Age of Decadence" rather than "Age of Decadence, The"? The inconsistency doesn't bother me, but I am curious.
On RPS, someone linked to this old interview (2008) with the dev:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/02/01/against-design-decadence-vince-d-weller/
FoxySage: Grimoire?
ArbitraryWater: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar is a game that is infamous in certain circles for basically being the Duke Nukem Forever of old-school RPGs (except it's been in development in some form or another even longer than DNF was). If it ever is released, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but until Cleve Blakemore finishes those "1.2 Micro issues" or whatever it will continue to be a punchline among more grognard-y RPG types.

In regards to this game, I remember hearing about it years ago and am totally interested in giving it a shot. Even if it's not my thing, I imagine it will at least be interesting.
Ah, as an old-school rpg'er this is the first time i've heard of it. :P
Started playing Age of Decadence. Getting the sense this will be a game that takes great pleasure in fucking me over at every opportunity.

This is, of course, Exactly What I Want From An RPG. :)
I can recall trying some beta demo of this under Kubuntu + wine couple of years back, failing miserably (didn't even get into game menu).

Anyone here with [k]ubuntu 15.04, who already got it running, and what did he use? Plain wine, or including some winetricks? Recently I got quite used to PlayOnLinux GUI + install scripts, so any pointers what is required to add to clean wine would be nice.

Or are there some fresh news about linux port?

Until then, I will just wishlist it, didn't plan to buy anything at the moment anyway.
ped7g: I can recall trying some beta demo of this under Kubuntu + wine couple of years back, failing miserably (didn't even get into game menu).

Anyone here with [k]ubuntu 15.04, who already got it running, and what did he use? Plain wine, or including some winetricks? Recently I got quite used to PlayOnLinux GUI + install scripts, so any pointers what is required to add to clean wine would be nice.

Or are there some fresh news about linux port?

Until then, I will just wishlist it, didn't plan to buy anything at the moment anyway.
I am running AoD via Wine 1.7.50 by just using "Run this program via Wine Program Loader" or "wine AoD.exe" in terminal.

Mint 17.2 here.
low rated
apehater: thanks

its kind of a bad sign that gog releases right now a game with such a title. must be gog's to way express sarcasm.
JudasIscariot: Not sure where the sarcasm is as our release of the game coincided with its worldwide release.
i'd say that gog's total abandining of any forum support can be called as an age of decadence
ArbitraryWater: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar is a game that is infamous in certain circles for basically being the Duke Nukem Forever of old-school RPGs (except it's been in development in some form or another even longer than DNF was). If it ever is released, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but until Cleve Blakemore finishes those "1.2 Micro issues" or whatever it will continue to be a punchline among more grognard-y RPG types.
FoxySage: Ah, as an old-school rpg'er this is the first time i've heard of it. :P
To be fair, I'd like to say I'm a fan of old-school RPGs and I only know about it because I stumbled into some videos about it a few years ago when they did their IndieGoGo campaign. You'd have to ask some seasoned veterans of the internet (i.e. RPGCodex types) for more information on its insane development history than I can give.
FoxySage: Ah, as an old-school rpg'er this is the first time i've heard of it. :P
ArbitraryWater: To be fair, I'd like to say I'm a fan of old-school RPGs and I only know about it because I stumbled into some videos about it a few years ago when they did their IndieGoGo campaign. You'd have to ask some seasoned veterans of the internet (i.e. RPGCodex types) for more information on its insane development history than I can give.
All I know about Grimoire from that place (Codex):is that -it's developed by exSir-Tech member, who didn't liked the founders and head (ceo?) of the company, shared some stories about working here, use every opportunity to sting Sirtek and their "minions".
There was auction on eBay with documents and materials from Wizardry8 successor or sequel, Stones of Anthem, that contain some nasty monsters artworks. If you use the internet for more than year - nothing shocking here.

Oh and I suggest avoiding his posts beyond Grimoire - absolute inanity. Unless you want to be one mind with Codex community. That might sounds bad, but it's refreshing to see honest group tired of other sites. Just nothing that you check on daily basis.
Finally some RPG with great unused setting (beside some Vogel's game, Netherworld iirc?), I'm tired of same fantasy / sci-fi / modern copy-pasta with no variety whatsoever. For that alone I bought the game.

I played some demo of that game. If not that - I wouldn't believe in this thing. And it's always remind me to start Wozardry VI -> Wizardry VII playthrough, even when I'm prepared with automappers and editors.

You pointed another thing - IndieGoGo and Kickstarter are important ground for promoting titles, funding itself is another matter.

BreOl72: On RPS, someone linked to this old interview (2008) with the dev:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/02/01/against-design-decadence-vince-d-weller/
I read that interview everytime, when someone link it.
Refreshing after reading all these interviews with PR copy-pasta-same-stuff from PR Guide for Dummies (AAA games) or indie one, where (except few notable people) they have not much to say and water it down to fill the blank page.
Post edited October 16, 2015 by SpecShadow
How long does it normally take for GOG to reply to support tickets? I put in a ticket two days ago for this game and haven't heard anything back yet so was just curious about the normal wait time is.
SpecShadow: All I know about Grimoire from that place (Codex):is that -it's developed by exSir-Tech member, who didn't liked the founders and head (ceo?) of the company, shared some stories about working here, use every opportunity to sting Sirtek and their "minions".
There was auction on eBay with documents and materials from Wizardry8 successor or sequel, Stones of Anthem, that contain some nasty monsters artworks. If you use the internet for more than year - nothing shocking here.
Oooooooh, I remember that thread. Fascinating, in a way. Facepam inducing but still, morbidly fascinating,