It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Play a game that redefines the puzzle-platformer genre while adding unique gameplay and exceptional aesthetics to the mix. Tandem: A Tale of Shadows is now available on GOG.COM, sporting a 30% discount that will fade away on 28th October 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Looks great, thanks!
When I saw that first screenshot I though that it looks amazing, but the rest of it doesn't seem nearly as nice (matter of taste, of course). Anyway, it does look interesting, but somehow it's not gripping me. I wish there was a demo to get a better idea about it.
Breja: When I saw that first screenshot I though that it looks amazing, but the rest of it doesn't seem nearly as nice (matter of taste, of course). Anyway, it does look interesting, but somehow it's not gripping me. I wish there was a demo to get a better idea about it.
There WAS a demo, here on GOG, and I have it in my library. But it seems to be gone now.
I liked the game.
I don't understand why GOG would remove it. *puzzled*
Breja: When I saw that first screenshot I though that it looks amazing, but the rest of it doesn't seem nearly as nice (matter of taste, of course). Anyway, it does look interesting, but somehow it's not gripping me. I wish there was a demo to get a better idea about it.
FrodoBaggins: There WAS a demo, here on GOG, and I have it in my library. But it seems to be gone now.
I liked the game.
Or rather, why Monochrome Paris / Hatinh Interactive told GoG to remove it.
I'm sure GoG would have continued to offer the demo, if it were up to them.
FrodoBaggins: There WAS a demo, here on GOG, and I have it in my library. But it seems to be gone now.
I liked the game.
Swedrami: Or rather, why Monochrome Paris / Hatinh Interactive told GoG to remove it.
I'm sure GoG would have continued to offer the demo, if it were up to them.
Yeah, you're right.
I should have said, I don't understand why the developers made GOG remove it.
GOG.com: Tandem: A Tale of Shadows is now available on GOG.COM, sporting a 30% discount that will fade away on 28th October 2021, 1 PM UTC.
Its countdown clock is wrong.
https://www.gog.com/promo/20211021_launch_discount_tandem
FrodoBaggins: I should have said, I don't understand why the developers made GOG remove it.
To avoid getting my money it seems :D
Breja: To avoid getting my money it seems :D
Heard one developer say it's because their demo no longer reflects their game accurately. I think that's a bit short sighted though. You play a demo to get a sense of the gameplay. There's plenty of demos like this. Jagged Alliance for instance has demoville which is a unique level and while it's not perfect with its own unique bugs it has value that goes beyond the game and it gives you a good sense of the system and the game.

I don't like this new trend where developers pull a demo once the game arrives like they are simply treating it like a teaser instead of a sample. If you have confidence in your game you'd have a demo that's up to date anyway but even if you don't I don't think people will confuse issues in a demo with issues in the game.
PromZA: If you have confidence in your game you'd have a demo that's up to date anyway
I think that is the core issue, many developers know that their games aren't all that great and figure (I'd guess correctly) that they will make more money if people don't know what they are buying. They focus on the marketing and sometimes show little if any of the actual game in the trailer (not talking about this one that at least updated the trailer to show more gameplay for the release).

I was disappointed in the demo of this one, but it doesn't look like the game has changed all that much from the screenshots and trailer. I do think having a bunch of bugs in a demo is a bad thing as so many games have a bunch of bugs in the release version that you can't assume they will be fixed. But I don't recall any bugs in this demo, so I strongly suspect it is just a case of "more people were interested in the idea than liked the demo".
joveian: I think that is the core issue, many developers know that their games aren't all that great and figure (I'd guess correctly) that they will make more money if people don't know what they are buying. They focus on the marketing and sometimes show little if any of the actual game in the trailer (not talking about this one that at least updated the trailer to show more gameplay for the release).

I was disappointed in the demo of this one, but it doesn't look like the game has changed all that much from the screenshots and trailer. I do think having a bunch of bugs in a demo is a bad thing as so many games have a bunch of bugs in the release version that you can't assume they will be fixed. But I don't recall any bugs in this demo, so I strongly suspect it is just a case of "more people were interested in the idea than liked the demo".
Yeah by bugs I obviously don't mean ones that are game breaking or so numerous that you can't really get a feel for the game. Jagged Alliance 2 had this weird bug in the demo where you could duplicate shop items or money. Wasn't fixed but then neither did they need to as it was quite amusing seeing things increase and you had to make deliberate use of it.
Post edited October 22, 2021 by PromZA
The game is interesting, I was expecting it to be like American McGee's Alice but turn out it use a top down and side scrolling view. But I'm still fine with that because the visual is pretty good.
Breja: To avoid getting my money it seems :D
PromZA: Heard one developer say it's because their demo no longer reflects their game accurately. I think that's a bit short sighted though. You play a demo to get a sense of the gameplay. There's plenty of demos like this. Jagged Alliance for instance has demoville which is a unique level and while it's not perfect with its own unique bugs it has value that goes beyond the game and it gives you a good sense of the system and the game.

I don't like this new trend where developers pull a demo once the game arrives like they are simply treating it like a teaser instead of a sample. If you have confidence in your game you'd have a demo that's up to date anyway but even if you don't I don't think people will confuse issues in a demo with issues in the game.
Some games changed a lot between demo and release version though. Sometimes they just implement another idea/concept. Even Half Life 1 and 2 are pretty different when people compare the demo with the release version
Post edited October 22, 2021 by RedRagan
PromZA: Heard one developer say it's because their demo no longer reflects their game accurately.
What does that mean?

Is the actual game better, or worse, than the demo?

This demo-pulling shenanigan is very sketchy.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: What does that mean?

Is the actual game better, or worse, than the demo?

This demo-pulling shenanigan is very sketchy.
As I understand it's supposed to be better. No reason to pull the demo if it's better than the game.

RedRagan: Some games changed a lot between demo and release version though. Sometimes they just implement another idea/concept. Even Half Life 1 and 2 are pretty different when people compare the demo with the release version
I get that but as I just mentioned a demo can bring something else in addition to the game. I think it's more that developers don't understand what the purpose of demos are any more and with people pirating before buying think that they are unnecessary anyway.
PromZA: No reason to pull the demo if it's better than the game.
Yes, there would be. Because in that case, they would have many angry customers who felt that the demo was a bait & switch scam, and consequently, they would demand refunds & give bad reviews to the game.

If it is indeed the case that the current game is better than the old demo, then they should have released a new demo that represents the current state of the game, prior to when they pulled the old demo.
Post edited October 22, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon