It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get your gory kicks, like it's 1996!

UPDATE: Can you hear the blood spattering the walls around you? Ok, then turn down the sound effects for a bit. Now you should be able to hear ToyTree's explosive tunes while you're strafing away from danger. Or you can just grab the <span class="bold">Soundtrack</span> separately and enjoy all 23 tracks at your own pace. Boom.

<span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a fast-paced, roguelike first-person shooter with plenty of guts, gusto, and gung-ho attitude, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

The monsters are charging you in droves, your weapons are becoming more and more ridiculous, and the levels rearrange themselves every time you die. Or maybe not - it's hard to tell when there's so much blood spatter in your eyes. But who needs a map, when you've got wicked instincts and insane mobility?

Watch the trailer.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by maladr0Id
TodaysLoneWolf: You might want to be careful. One-third of my ancesters were kicked out of their lands and sent into the desert because their land looked appealing; their water supply is about to be contaminated by oil. A second third of my ancestry was thrown on dirty, disease-ridden ships and whipped into doing others' work for over two-hundred years. We're STILL looked upon as jokes no matter what we do.

All I'm saying is that NO ONE should downplay the troubles and/or history of another race. The Holocaust WAS a freaking big deal, and so definitely was the mass exile of Russians and their neighbors into the foreboding eastern wilderness because they wouldn't kowtow to Alexander III/Nicholas II (and later the Bolshevik regime).

You ARE right about one thing - they DO need to be called out for such horrible marketing. I'll demonstrate by removing the game from my wishlist; in restrospect, they don't deserve my money.
NemesisZidar: Not "race", but "people". Pay attention to the words you are using, race is incorrect.
In this context, you're right. Thanks for pointing that out. Still, I stand by my point.
Socratatus: This is a game made by people who think this is what 1990s gaming was like.

Remember, kids, this is how history gets twisted out of all proportion. If they can make that mistake after just twenty years, imagine the mistakes our modern historian revisionists have made.
The stupidest thing is thinking that 90's FPSs were all blocky 3d models, when in reality sprites were used for enemies far more often.
low rated
deleted
Guys, the Holocaust word originated from the Greek holókaustos: hólos, "whole" and kaustós, "burnt".
Or the old french Old French holocauste or Latin holokauston.
The meaning could be huge inferno.

A bit of reading:
Who coined the term &ldquo;Holocaust&rdquo; to refer to the Nazi &ldquo;final solution&rdquo; for the Jewish people?

History And Meaning Of The Word &lsquo;Holocaust&rsquo;: Are We Still Comfortable With This Term?

The problem is, that the term in modern times is reserved "only" for Nazi mass murder of Jewish people. But that is on one side wrong.

The same goes for the Swastika.
If you mention it, all the people think of it like the symbol of the Nazi Party in Nazi Germany. Where originally it was an ancient symbol in different parts of the world.
* checks thread *

Is this a game release topic or a wikipedia edit page ?
Fairfox: Has teh late pre-order DLC arrived yet? How many gamies even do taht? Weird.
Yes,the STRAFE VV-1N Weapon Pre Order Exclusive is available now. It’s a 5.0 MB DLC package.
best trailer evah
Socratatus: This is a game made by people who think this is what 1990s gaming was like.

Remember, kids, this is how history gets twisted out of all proportion. If they can make that mistake after just twenty years, imagine the mistakes our modern historian revisionists have made.
Crosmando: The stupidest thing is thinking that 90's FPSs were all blocky 3d models, when in reality sprites were used for enemies far more often.
What`s that supposed to mean? I was (still am ) an avid game player in the `90s, numbnuts.
Crosmando: The stupidest thing is thinking that 90's FPSs were all blocky 3d models, when in reality sprites were used for enemies far more often.
Socratatus: What`s that supposed to mean? I was (still am ) an avid game player in the `90s, numbnuts.
Now, now -- Pretty sure he was talking about the devs, and their vision of the 90s FPS genre, not about you. Now shake hands, kiss and be friends again.

With the minor difference that historians use scientific principles and evidence to back up their claims, being peer-reviewed by other scientists, while game developers simply develop games. False equivalence much?
Fairfox: Has teh late pre-order DLC arrived yet? How many gamies even do taht? Weird.
4-vektor: Yes,the STRAFE VV-1N Weapon Pre Order Exclusive is available now. It’s a 5.0 MB DLC package.
I've installed this DLC but it's not showing up in-game. No switch, just a high-radiation sign.
Socratatus: What`s that supposed to mean? I was (still am ) an avid game player in the `90s, numbnuts.
Lol I am referring to the creator of this game, not you.
Are most of us in agreement that overall, the game just doesn't live up to the hype and we should therefore move on? With the mediocre user reviews and the mostly negative tone of our discussions we should just move on to better games, right?
Reloading throws away all remaining ammo in the clip? Yeah, I don't remember that in the 90's. I think I'm good on passing on this game.
Smannesman: FPS and roguelite don't really mix IMO
Ziggurat is pretty great, played that to death. It would have been improved with about 3-4X as many room types, though.

I don't think some of the people complaining about "real" 90s games actually remember 90s games themselves. This specifically says "1996", which is when Quake came out. No sprites, just very blocky polygon enemies. Look up some games like Quake, Hexen II, Heretic II, Sin, Half-Life, etc.

That said, the graphics in Strafe, judging from the screenshots, are something of a mishmash from a pure design perspective, regardless of what it's attempting to emulate. Even though they were low-poly, the games I mentioned above were more visually coherent.
tremere110: Reloading throws away all remaining ammo in the clip? Yeah, I don't remember that in the 90's.
Never played any Marathon games? Although in that case, you were not often in any danger of running out, unless you were super-bad at ammo management.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by eric5h5