It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get your gory kicks, like it's 1996!

UPDATE: Can you hear the blood spattering the walls around you? Ok, then turn down the sound effects for a bit. Now you should be able to hear ToyTree's explosive tunes while you're strafing away from danger. Or you can just grab the <span class="bold">Soundtrack</span> separately and enjoy all 23 tracks at your own pace. Boom.

<span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a fast-paced, roguelike first-person shooter with plenty of guts, gusto, and gung-ho attitude, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

The monsters are charging you in droves, your weapons are becoming more and more ridiculous, and the levels rearrange themselves every time you die. Or maybe not - it's hard to tell when there's so much blood spatter in your eyes. But who needs a map, when you've got wicked instincts and insane mobility?

Watch the trailer.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by maladr0Id
Laberbacke: STRAFE® ALSO INCLUDES:
Gun upgrades that turn your average tool of death into an outright Holocaust machine
(From the store page)

Wow, really? You can kill Jews in this game?
INB4 someone calling me a Nazi.
Zoidberg: Actually, holocaust being the persecutions and extermination of jews is only one definition of the word. Most definitions are related to religious sacrifices, usually by fire, and by Israelites.

http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/holocauste/40169
latin: holocaustum from greek holokaustos, holos = whole, kaustos = burned
It's harder to claim that when it's capitalized mid-sentence.
I have seen very well done and successful:" Retro" Adventure Games that really do capture the flavor of the classic 90's point and click Adventure games.but have yet to see a Retrio FIrst Person Shooter that really captures the mid 90's vibe successfully.

One reason the Shadow Warriors reboots have been successful is that They don't try to go home again;they take some of the more popular features of the SW originals, but don't try to exactly duplicate the tone and flavor of the originals.
Post edited May 09, 2017 by dudalb
Lone_Scout: The movie trailer is just awesome!!
I kind of like their kickstarter trailer better.

https://youtu.be/ef_41JpwqdE
snip
cba to argue with people who have muh feelings
Post edited May 09, 2017 by dewtech
Let's get back to topic then since "H" word isn't exlusive only to one specific event or be claimed only by one ethnicity as in fact even here numbers are too rounded up to cosmo in comparison to other ones... Remember political correctness is cancer and doesn't help in social relations nor PR. Just because you avoid some topics or make them on censor or give them too much attention or emotional value doesn't make you better person or turn people to better for each other. In fact this make people double faced snakes that avoid/supress problems trying to erase or control others. Stay civil, be honest, be safe. >;->
HenitoKisou: Let's get back to topic then since "H" word isn't exlusive only to one specific event or be claimed only by one ethnicity
you really try to rub it in, don't you? listen, i would be the last person not finding it stupid that we as a country are STILL not able to laugh about our history. but we ARE NOT ALLOWED. blame the "zentralrat der juden". the second you try to make fun of it as a german they get out of the woodwork and the police with it. so guess what? if i'm not allowed to let "this is not that event, it's just a play of words" stand why should some guy on a polish site on the internet? same rights for everybody i always say. and about the word. yes, the one with the capital H as this indicates a noun in english. you are wrong. look it up. i even posted the fucking wikipedia entry.
and here i am, not being allowed to say if i find that joke funny. i hope everybody knows anyways.

you might as well ask a japanese person if he finds "just like hiroshima" joke in shadow warrior funny. i bet inofficially, yes, but officially he is forced to whine about it. that's why our world is broken btw. because globally there always is this one guy making a big whoop anything really so nobody is allowed to say anything really. hope to see you in a bar sometime, though, but seeing everybody is with american surveillance nowadays at all times, fuck the whole thing.

erm... so yea about the game. 's cool for the roguelike fans. which i am not one of.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by AlienMind
dewtech: ...time to stop crying about shit that happened a long time ago. I'm not crying about my whole family being sent to Siberia, am I?

Talk about the game, not about the shitty marketing/PR.
TodaysLoneWolf: You might want to be careful. One-third of my ancesters were kicked out of their lands and sent into the desert because their land looked appealing; their water supply is about to be contaminated by oil. A second third of my ancestry was thrown on dirty, disease-ridden ships and whipped into doing others' work for over two-hundred years. We're STILL looked upon as jokes no matter what we do.

All I'm saying is that NO ONE should downplay the troubles and/or history of another race. The Holocaust WAS a freaking big deal, and so definitely was the mass exile of Russians and their neighbors into the foreboding eastern wilderness because they wouldn't kowtow to Alexander III/Nicholas II (and later the Bolshevik regime).

You ARE right about one thing - they DO need to be called out for such horrible marketing. I'll demonstrate by removing the game from my wishlist; in restrospect, they don't deserve my money.
Not "race", but "people". Pay attention to the words you are using, race is incorrect.
Zoidberg: Actually, holocaust being the persecutions and extermination of jews is only one definition of the word. Most definitions are related to religious sacrifices, usually by fire, and by Israelites.

http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/francais/holocauste/40169
latin: holocaustum from greek holokaustos, holos = whole, kaustos = burned
qwixter: It's harder to claim that when it's capitalized mid-sentence.
What is? And how does it make the point less or more valid?

The definition is there, simple as that.

edit: oh ok, you meant the uppercase H, that indeed makes the thing questionnable.
Laberbacke: I would bet actual real money on the developer NOT meaning the latter.
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/mass+murder

I bet they meant something like massacre which isn't in quite a good taste but is on par with the theming and game genre.
Post edited May 10, 2017 by Zoidberg
qwixter: It's harder to claim that when it's capitalized mid-sentence.
Zoidberg: What is? And how does it make the point less or more valid?

The definition is there, simple as that.

edit: oh ok, you meant the uppercase H, that indeed makes the thing questionnable.
Laberbacke: I would bet actual real money on the developer NOT meaning the latter.
Zoidberg: http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/mass+murder

I bet they meant something like massacre which isn't in quite a good taste but is on par with the theming and game genre.
Yep, that's all i was saying with the 'H' mid-sentence.
TodaysLoneWolf: Am I older than the developers?
I bet the developers are younger than most of us who actually experienced the genre in 1996. Sometimes you don't notice it, but 20 years are a lot.
I have been excited about this game since I first saw it here as a future release months ago, even though it's true that many aspects in the game do not reflect classic 90's FPS's, some definitely do and it does look like it kicks some serious ass. I guess that releasing a game in 2017 which resembles a 90's shooter in every way would be, in my opinion, a bit weak. Instead, what the developers have done is to offer some of those aspects and then mixed it up with some newer concepts. Sure, the game isn't for everyone, especially with permadeath coupled with randomly generated levels, although to me that did seem appealing in the sense that it makes it tough, unforgiving and a real challenge that I hadn't had the chance to face before in an FPS. All in all, it's an interesting mix of ideas which make a fun, fast-paced game full of challenges with a little nostalgia thrown in.
It's a shame, though, that the developers' accomplishment ended up being marred by an unfortunate choice of words for their game's description, if only they hadn't used the capitalisation of that particular word. In my book, it would go a long way for them to admit their mistake and modify the description in some way. I really do hope they didn't mean what we suspect it might mean. I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
Retro is fine if it is actually intended to be retro, but this looks like one of those games that calls itself "retro" in order to excuse poor production values. This doesn't remotely resemble any game from the time period that the developers claim it does. I have to agree with some of the other comments here and say the game seems like it was developed by kids who weren't around in 1996.
How do people edit their reviews? I think I spoke too soon on this one. It's definitely not Quake, but the more I play the more sense the mechanics are starting to make.

This game is built entirely around circle strafing. The room templates, the weapon design, the enemy behavior, the environmental hazards, even the ammo system.
AlienMind: you might as well ask a japanese person if he finds "just like hiroshima" joke in shadow warrior funny.
Weird example...
Holocaust was done BY the Germans
Hiroshima was done AGAINST the Japanese

Personally, I find it a bit eerie that Americans have such a laid back attitude towards their Hiroshima genocide.
This is a game made by people who think this is what 1990s gaming was like.

Remember, kids, this is how history gets twisted out of all proportion. If they can make that mistake after just twenty years, imagine the mistakes our modern historian revisionists have made.