It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When you build upon a star...

<span class="bold">Starbound</span>, a sandbox action/RPG about settling down on a procedurally generated universe and exploring its infinite randomness, is available now for Windows, Mac, and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com.

You are a lonely alien, cast away on an unknown planet after your ship and your spacefaring dreams got severely damaged. Now you must start anew, build yourself a home, blast any rude natives to smithereens, and perhaps gradually establish your own colony. Once you repair your trusty spaceship, a vast galaxy of opportunities will open up and your procedurally generated appetite for adventure and exploration will never let up!

Much like their crafty alien protagonist, developers Chucklefish have been building and expanding Starbound, shaping it up with the help of their community while it was still In Development. Now the release version is finally here and it includes a rich story campaign full of bizarre characters, intimidating bosses, and heaps of craftable items. All that content is available in an online drop in/drop out co-op mode, plus the modding tools give the community the power to make all sorts of crazy contributions to this near-infinite universe.

Build yourself a home on an expansive, procedurally generated universe and make the most out of being <span class="bold">Starbound</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/p9YZd_22WlA
Post edited July 23, 2016 by maladr0Id
Wow. I just gave this a honest try, and it's still just as grindy as when I last played it! They didn't even try to address that one bit.

Lolsup, want to move around the planets? Go get 20 bear asses from the mines or you know, go swim in lava near the planet's core!

And I see the upgrade system for the matter manipulator got put into yet another item that'll happily clutter your inventory once you're done with them.

At first, I thought the crafting table upgrades were neat, but then I realized the progression made no sense. Let's go from this wooden table to this nice no longer wooden steel table and then just plonk up to a replicator!

It probably doesn't help that Minecraft and Terraria actually give you music to listen to, whereas Starbound gives you some lovely tones and maybe a tonal drone.

Also somehow, Minecraft and Terraria are more visually...alive for me, actually.
Well, looks like I'm re-buying this like I said I would!
styggron: For those that have purchaed it, can I rebind keys ? I don't use WASD an always rebind it to the other side of the keyboard, just wanted to ensure this is possible before I buy.

Thanks in advance. :)
Trid: Yes, You can.
Fantastic. Thank you for that.
I think I'll buy this now.
[url=http://rs1223.pbsrc.com/albums/dd509/EeveeTheCutie/ve_zpscea9c5fc.gif~c200]Wait![/url] I'm not prepared for it actually releasing.
I bought it in 2013 because i tried it and was sold. Its the best pixel adventure game ever. after 3 years it has become the most edvanced pixel adventure game out there. It made terraria look like a DEMO for lunch breaks.
I have played on steam about 3 different older versions for about 180+ hours just to try a bit...
and..
now..
its..
TIME FOR THE ULTIMATE ADVENTURE!!!

REBUY (because steam)
Gamer77845: I bought it in 2013 because i tried it and was sold. Its the best pixel adventure game ever. after 3 years it has become the most edvanced pixel adventure game out there. It made terraria look like a DEMO for lunch breaks.
I have played on steam about 3 different older versions for about 180+ hours just to try a bit...
and..
now..
its..
TIME FOR THE ULTIMATE ADVENTURE!!!

REBUY (because steam)
I played for about 10 minutes when it was released as an InDev. It seemed to have really slow mechanics, but I'm guessing that was because I was still getting used to it, and also when you start you of course have the slowest shittiest tools.

I will soon find out. :D
tinyE: I played for about 10 minutes when it was released as an InDev. It seemed to have really slow mechanics, but I'm guessing that was because I was still getting used to it, and also when you start you of course have the slowest shittiest tools.

You still start with the slowest and shittiest tools. :V And you've still got to do the same basic grind you had to do all the way back in beta.
picheleiro: Do anybody knows if this is the final version? Or like like Terraria that got more content later?
There will be future updates just like Terraria
tinyE: I played for about 10 minutes when it was released as an InDev. It seemed to have really slow mechanics, but I'm guessing that was because I was still getting used to it, and also when you start you of course have the slowest shittiest tools.

You will start with those lame tools, but even with the best tools it's still the very same slooooooow grind. Plus there's even more clutter added over the time.
almabrds: Argh, I don't see why I'd ever want to replace Terraria with this.
Why replace? After sinking 450 hours into Terraria, it gets a bit old and some people may want something new to shorten the wait for Terraria: Otherworld.

Darvond: You still start with the slowest and shittiest tools. :V And you've still got to do the same basic grind you had to do all the way back in beta.
Weird. I had 25 hours played in in-dev version. Now I have 39 and already wear one top-tier piece of equipment, and other two are soon to follow. If anything, the material progression is way too quick. The quests may still significantly extend the gameplay time, I focused almost exclusively on equipment.
It'd be reasonable if gog would reset the ratings and prioritize post-release reviews at the top of the list on games like these. It seems a little unfair to the developers to do otherwise, and possibly misleading to those of us who haven't played it yet.

For the life of me I can't figure out whether I want to buy this or not.
cikkle: It'd be reasonable if gog would reset the ratings and prioritize post-release reviews at the top of the list on games like these. It seems a little unfair to the developers to do otherwise, and possibly misleading to those of us who haven't played it yet.

For the life of me I can't figure out whether I want to buy this or not.
You may want to check out some gameplay on YouTube, could give you an better idea what the game is like. Personally I think it's great, a lot more fun than Terraria which is often the game is compared to. Starbound is more focused on exploring than fighting.

I think resetting the ratings is a great idea, user reviews for InDev games are often about problems with the game which isn't the right place to post such things and doesn't help the developer or customer after release.
Have to chime in;

Umpteen pages of negative InDev reviews are mendable-ish by the volunteer web geniuses of the GOGCOM community; just bear in mind that you are only wearing a hard hat whilst walking below people handling loose nuts.

Terraria I find irritating no matter how I play it but, taking the advice of watching some Youtubes of Starbound the difficulty settings seem much kinder. I may be mistaken.

Deffo considering saving up for Starbound & ofc Stardew Valley - I have played Harvest Moon <3
The game is looking beautiful, from the screenshots and videos.
picheleiro: Do anybody knows if this is the final version? Or like like Terraria that got more content later?
Quote from the Devs: "While Starbound will be finished in two weeks, this isn’t the end. We will continue to update and support Starbound for as long as we can. We’ve got loads of cool ideas we couldn’t fit into 1.0 but hope to put into future updates."

Source: http://playstarbound.com/starbound-release-announcement/