It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The cult classic strikes back!

<span class="bold">Star Wars&trade;: Shadows of the Empire</span>, the beloved action/arcade game set between Episode V and Episode VI, is now available DRM-free on GOG.com with a 20% launch discount.

Who among us hasn't dreamt of being offered a spot in the venerable Rogue Squadron? And when Han Solo himself is the one approaching you to ask for help against the Empire, it's hard to refuse, even if you are the hard-as-nails smuggler Dash Rendar.

The fight will take Rendar, his co-pilot droid Leebo, and his trusty spaceship The Outrider through iconic locations where Star Wars™ history was made. Whether he is taking down AT-ATs on Hoth, fighting off assassins sent after Luke Skywalker, or dueling Boba Fett, the adventures of Dash evoke that unmistakable Star Wars™ vibe that quickly turned him into a fan favorite. Because once you've experienced the varied gameplay and atmospheric cutscenes telling the story of Dash's struggle against the villainous Prince Xizor, you can't help but feel that his exploits are a significant part of the epic saga.

Join the daring Dash Render as he helps the Rebellion escape <span class="bold">Star Wars&trade;: Shadows of the Empire</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com. The 20% discount will last until May 9th, 12:59 PM UTC.
Breja: And so my wishlist is back up to 40 games. Anyone up for joining me in robbing a bank or something?
With my recent spending might have to join you in that enterprise. Know a good getaway driver?
Breja: And so my wishlist is back up to 40 games. Anyone up for joining me in robbing a bank or something?
deonast: With my recent spending might have to join you in that enterprise. Know a good getaway driver?
The best!
damien: this is kind of odd. I've always thought N64 version was the popular one :)
Lafazar: From what I heard the N64 version was definitely way more popular (apparently it sold even more than Super Mario 64) due to two reasons:

It was a launch title for the N64 and Nintendo constantly used footage from the game in their advertising for the system.

And the PC version required specific and expensive graphics cards to look good and was apparently hard to set up properly on initial release.
I remember when this came out. You couldn't go into a store that sold computers or accessories and not see Shadows on a couple of PC monitors, at least. They would usually have the N64 version set up so you could play that. It looked incredible to my young eyes at the time...
rampancy: You could try using CPU Grabber, by running it under WINE before launching the game. When running under CrossOver, it's proven surprisingly quite effective at imposing some sanity on Rogue Squadron 3D (which otherwise runs on an unplayably fast speed).
blakstar: It would be nice to know for curiosity's sake what's causing the difference in speed, programming-wise -- this particular machine is dual-booted with Windows XP, which runs the game at the correct speed.
After a lot of testing across multiple versions of WINE I'm still not clear about it myself. Installing directx9 in winetricks seems to have resolved the speed issue in Wineskin for me, so far.
deonast: With my recent spending might have to join you in that enterprise. Know a good getaway driver?
Breja: The best!
Sounds like a plan. After wards we may have to hide out for a while at Fraggle rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zsz_MlVvI
Just played the first 5 missions and all I've got to say is "nice job, people!" Works without any problem on Windows 10 with an Nvidia GTX 750 and looks awesome on Full HD. Anyway, do you plan on adding the manual?
Post edited May 09, 2016 by GLTh3Pr0
nate1222: Just finished playing the Hoth Battle with a wired Xbox 360 controller. Worked great. Plays ALOT like the N64 version, but with smoother graphics and cinematic cut-scenes.
Martek: HOW LONG THE LAUNCH DISCOUNT?

(Sorry the all caps- but I see it's been asked like 3, 4 5 times already - and there are Blue replies ITT - but not on this important point.)

I assume it's the same period as the other sales - but you know what they say about <i>assuming</i> ... How about a clear answer (or, better, edit the release announcement to show it - so others don't need to search a forum thread)
nate1222: Without the launch discount it's only $6. Worth every penny.
You're right - it isn't enough of an amount to be really bothered about. It's more the principal I suppose. At any rate - they fixed it :)

And I did go ahead and grab it - can't wait to try it (playing Stalker atm)
I knew it. PC has some corrupted sounds: two sound files present in the n64 are replaced by a squeaking noise during the ice separation before the first AT-ST boss fight and the computer activating in Gall Spaceport.
Is there any hope of a patch to unbind movement from the mouse? I keep falling off cliffs by accidentally moving backwards when I turn left or right.
Novotus: Is there any hope of a patch to unbind movement from the mouse? I keep falling off cliffs by accidentally moving backwards when I turn left or right.
Not by patching, no, as some parts of the game you don't want the mouse Y-axis, other times you do, and GOG don't have the source code to make those kinds of game alterations.

I have posted in the game's forum a GlovePIE script that I put together to toggle on/off the mouse Y-axis with the mouse wheel. I believe the same can be done with an AHK script too.

https://www.gog.com/forum/star_wars_shadows_of_the_empire/mouse_movement/post9
Post edited May 13, 2016 by korell
Finally beaten the game on Medium. Technically, I had planned in finishing it in one week and I could've but the few times replaying Imperial Space Base and some obstacles I had such as finals and a sudden case of the aches. I remember the Sewers level being difficult esp. when facing the Dianoga Eye and its Tentacles and typically I would use a round of Disruptors and Pulse Cannon rounds as well respawning at least 3 times but funny enough I beat it in one go with just Pulse Cannons. I was shocked that I wished I'd recorded it. Did not see any such tentacles in during the fight.

The first half of the Skyhook Battle was ridiculously difficult that I remember beating that level on Medium years ago with only one respawn(N64). Dmn Viper crafts attack like double the amount of TIE fighters in the Asteriod Field.
It's good just wish controll scheme had more options for it. Like button to button assignment.

Tottally worth it though regardless. You can adapt to it. easy.
Post edited December 17, 2016 by Crix_01
Novotus: Is there any hope of a patch to unbind movement from the mouse? I keep falling off cliffs by accidentally moving backwards when I turn left or right.
You too? I switched to a gamepad and mapped it so I could eliminate the use of the mouse and I slid off the cliff in Level 5. It happens everytime and the controls go dead for me when I try to keep myself from falling.