It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Rule the stars your way.

<span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span>, a near-infinite space 4X-RTS hybrid, is available now for Windows and Linux, DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span> is the sequel to 2010 supremely ambitious space 4X-RTS hybrid. It was a game that featured nearly limitless galaxies with thousands of systems, bound only by the capabilities of the PC you played it on. The massive 4X returns now better than ever. It seeks to revolutionise the genre with its fresh take on tired gameplay elements, that includes Diplomacy which ties into all of the game's mechanics, affecting the state of the universe in meaningful ways. A complex galactic economy, custom ship designs, intricate research mechanics, and full modability grant <span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span> the potential to become the next timeless space 4X! You can find more interesting tidbits on the unique design choices in the game in the official developer diaries.

Rule the stars through force, politics, or just buy it all out. A limitless galaxy of choice in <span class="bold">Star Ruler 2</span> - available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
Much want! Much broke :(
Emob78: Pewpewchewchew did an LP of an earlier version of the game last summer. Good to watch if you have questions or want to just see what gameplay is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0HUdrVMOs
Firgof: Eeeeeh. The game has evolved a lot since PPCC did that video. I would take most things you see in there with a grain of salt if not a whole handful.

I'd recommend these instead:

https://youtu.be/E2Juo6uQ1yI
https://youtu.be/R48hV3CJ7HI

If you'd like to see how the game has evolved over Early Access though, it'd probably be fun to compare these with that one. PPCC recorded his LP just a few weeks after we got onto Early Access and these videos were made after we transitioned to release.
Yeah, just by watching the first minute or so of that new LP I can see how much the UI has changed. Lots to take in. Thanks for posting those new LP links.
MrBoat: Not so strange. I believe many developers may prefer to offer support for Windows and (let's say) Ubuntu than for Mac. Mac has a lower market share unless you sell yourself into the Apple App Store, which means you need to pay attention to Apple fuck up new versions and such. Also, Mac users are not known to be gamers at all, a gaming Mac would cost you 100% more than a PC, something that obviously makes the gamer community to stay in Windows.

If I were developing a game in a future I would clearly let Mac out of the compatibility mix. Linux gives more money and, on a "distro-only" kind of support is easier to maintain, since gnu/linux users are usually more open to find a fix for themselves on their systems.
That's my opinion, at least.
zgwortz: Nice opinion... Reality is likely to be different. Mac gaming is a much larger share of the gaming industry than Linux gaming. Just looking at the Steam statistics (which is under-represented for the Mac due to a preference for other venues), you can see that Mac has well over 3 times the share of Linux currently. A lot of individual companies that do same-day releases of Mac games with their Windows games say the Mac is more like a 15%-20% share of their total revenue.

So yes, seeing a Linux version and not a Mac version *is* an odd combination. I see very few games released this way. In fact, going through GOG, there are only 7 games out of roughly 250 Linux games which are Windows and Linux only -- ALL the rest support Mac as well.
We might have seen different statistic then (because I was also basing myself on the Steam ones). May need to re-check them now, if what you said it's true it truly makes sense to develop a version for Mac.
marlowe221: Just an FYI, those saying that this game is "like Homeworld" are way off base.

Yeah, the fleets kinda look like Homeworld when you zoom WAY in on them and the game is in real time and is set in space.

But that is where the similarities end.

This is a 4X strategy game that happens to be real time as opposed to turn based. The game can be paused at any time and you can issue orders that will be carried out once you un-pause the game. The game speed can be adjusted up or down freely to the player's taste. For those who have played Paradox titles like EU4 or Crusader Kings, the time function works pretty much the same way.

Otherwise, this is a space 4X game. You colonize planets, get resources, research technologies, engage in diplomacy etc. Your goal is to wipe out the opposition and rule the galaxy (or universe if you set your game to contain multiple galaxies).

This is a great game (I got it on Steam) and it does some really innovative things in the 4X genre. If you're a 4X fan you should buy this game; it's worth every penny.

I write/edit/etc. for a 4X site called Explorminate. Here is our review of the game: [url=]http://www.explorminate.com/#!Star-Ruler-2/c15kj/551447ff0cf215f35a1c3507[/url]. Our site contains no ads and the staff are all volunteers who love 4X games. Come see what Star Ruler 2 is all about.
Matruchus: The link to the review of Star Ruler 2 on your site doesn't work.

Working link here: <span class="bold">http://www.explorminate.com/#!Star-Ruler-2/c15kj/551447ff0cf215f35a1c3507</span>

Otherweise you have a really nice site. Been following you for some time.

You are missing one game on your 4x list though: http://dss.stephanierct.com/
Thanks! I always have trouble posting links on this forum for some reason.

And thanks for the tip on Deep Space Settlement; I will let the boss man know about it.

EDIT: Apparently, Deep Space Settlement is already in our "Coming in 2015" section!
Post edited April 03, 2015 by marlowe221
marlowe221: Thanks! I always have trouble posting links on this forum for some reason.

And thanks for the tip on Deep Space Settlement; I will let the boss man know about it.
Your link problem is in the beginning you have [url=]hyperlink[ ] instead of [url=hyperlink]
Post edited April 03, 2015 by Matruchus
marlowe221: Thanks! I always have trouble posting links on this forum for some reason.

Matruchus: Your link problem is in the beginning you have hyperlink[ ]name
Where is that forehead slap emoticon.... :)